Amsterdam 2013

Tooj

The Amsterdam ArenA will play host to its second major continental final when the 2013 UEFA Europa League concludes at the modern home of AFC Ajax in the Dutch capital.

The 2013 UEFA Europa League final, awarded to the Amsterdam ArenA by the UEFA Executive Committee on Thursday, will be the second major continental showpiece at the modern home of four-time European champions AFC Ajax.

Royal Netherlands Football Association (KNVB) president Michael van Praag was delighted to see the final coming to Amsterdam. "We put the Amsterdam ArenA forward as a candidate because the stadium will be renovated on a large scale in the next couple of years. It will be a state-of-the-art stadium again. The KNVB has built up a good name in organising international tournaments and matches. With this final we will have the opportunity to show we are able to continue that fine tradition."

Opened on 14 August 1996 with a spectacular ceremony and match between Ajax and AC Milan, the 51,800-seater Amsterdam ArenA came of age when it staged the 1998 UEFA Champions League final, where Real Madrid CF beat Juventus 1-0. It was also a venue for UEFA EURO 2000, playing host to a semi-final among five games.

It was not the first Amsterdam venue to stage major UEFA matches. The Olympisch Stadion, where Ajax played big games prior to the construction of their current home, hosted the 1962 European Champion Clubs' Cup final where SL Benfica beat Madrid 5-3.

The 1977 UEFA Cup Winners' Cup final also took place there, bringing a 2-0 victory for Hamburger SV against RSC Anderlecht, as did the second leg of the 1992 UEFA Cup decider, Ajax holding Torino FC 0-0 to win on away goals. The most recent final in the Netherlands was the 2006 UEFA Cup decider, a 4-0 triumph for Sevilla FC against Middlesbrough FC in Eindhoven.

The 2012 UEFA Europa League final takes place on 9 May at the National Stadium, Bucharest.

Bring it on! :D

Gemmill bring your vaporizer!

Not think Europa League is a bit like a poison chalice? Defo going to affect our league form

I haven't taken time to consider my words but fuck off, dickhead.

Not think Europa League is a bit like a poison chalice? Defo going to affect our league form

Howay man , what's the point of being a football fan if you're gunna spew that sort of shite?

lol....where did that come from?

We've just finished 5th in the PL and qualified for European competition next season. Enjoy the here and now before worrying about the strength of our squad for next season.

Howay man , what's the point of being a football fan if you're gunna spew that sort of shite?

Was just thinking games, Thur, Sat....

But I guess the answer to my question is no. :outahere:

We've just finished 5th in the PL and qualified for European competition next season. Enjoy the here and now before worrying about the strength of our squad for next season.

Touche

Was just thinking games, Thur, Sat....

But I guess the answer to my question is no. :outahere:

Overly aggresive from me sorry. Just enjoy it though, thats the whole point

Enjoy what, you fucking knobhead? Sorry, overly aggressive there, sorry.

Haha. I'd rather try and enjoy the fact that we've had a great season and will be playing in Europe than worry about squad depth. I think you knew that though.

First play off Thurs 23rd Aug, 2nd leg 30th Aug so I think our second and 3rd league games will be on Sundays....got to think that we'll be without Cabaye and Ben Arfa for all those fixtures....Krul too?

First play off Thurs 23rd Aug, 2nd leg 30th Aug so I think our second and 3rd league games will be on Sundays....got to think that we'll be without Cabaye and Ben Arfa for all those fixtures....Krul too?

?

If they play in the euros they wont come back to training till the beginning of August, maybe 4 weeks after those not going?....

Ah right, got you. Euros finish on July 1st so hopefully that should be plenty of time for a bit of a rest though.