Away End Stories

Spireite1997

• 3 weeks later...

I went to all the games with my brother in law we went all over the country always loved seeing the convoys of armstrong galley coaches made me feel really part of something great.

Anyway we couldn't get tickets for the Roker end but managed to get 2 for the fulwell end (actually can't remember if we got tickets or just paid in). Hi brother had told us about the invasion and that everyone was going to be on the left hand side of the fulwell end.

We went in and noticed a bunch of lads who like us weren't wearing colours (for obvious reasons). My brother had previously made sure I was wearing my doc martins as they gave a good kick and wouldn't fall off when being chased while at the same time being very runnable in.

So we went through the turnstiles and headed down to the left hand side of the ground quite close to the front where the fences were.

Just after kick off we heard the first roar of "UNITED clap clap clap UNITED etc etc...." so we joined in.

It was then we realised his dozy brother had meant the left hand side as viewed from the pitch.

us and the other 5 or so NUFC fans (obviously equally badly informed) legged it toward the paddocks in the clock stand.

kicking punching and forcing our way through.

We ended up standing in the paddock quiet as mice for the rest of the game and left 10 minutes early to leg it to the car.

One of many stories.

Sounds like a good story for book number 2! Ok if I add it to the list?

The book is now out in print if anybody is interested. You can see it on the below link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Away-End-Dean-Mansell/dp/1477654267/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341666633&sr=8-1

Hoping to get it in your club shop as well. Thanks for all the replies.