What do you sound like?

Christmas Tree

I wish I had a stronger accent purely because whenever I tell anyone I'm from Newcastle I get, 'Really? You don't sound like it' followed by a routinely shite attempt at geordie. Not the biggest issue in the world but it annoys me.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I had a stronger accent purely because whenever I tell anyone I'm from Newcastle I get, 'Really? You don't sound like it' followed by a routinely shite attempt at geordie. Not the biggest issue in the world but it annoys me.

"Ant and Dec" "Whey Aye Pet" and all that shit. :rolleyes:

I've an accent for:

• when I'm presenting to senior management
  • when I'm speaking to 3rd parties or the coppers themselves
  • when I'm speaking to people in the office in a casual way
  • when I'm with mates from Uni or when I'm with mates from home who live in London
  • when I'm with mates from home who live in Newcastle
  • when I'm on the pull (dubbed "Bravado Dave" by mates)

None of them are conscious decisions, but I know I've got them. Like you, I'm not happy nor proud to have lost most of my accent, it's just happened over time and by being saturated in other people's accents. My Mam and Dad haven't got strong accents, but she's from London and he's from Glasgow so I don't even have a Geordie home-accent either. My sisters just sound like the Cookie Monster on loop.

We're going to need a recording of each one in turn saying that you are not in fact Paul Wynn.

We're going to need a recording of each one in turn saying that you are not in fact Paul Wynn.

Whatever Brizzle boy.

The food is decent there, Bloody Marys are top notch too.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0FeIIcmn78S

Not that bad at all - certainly not as bad as you'd made out - but fuck knows what's going on with "shut".

This reminds me of how I upset a Cath in the early days of the board by suggesting that exiles who lost their accents were weak characters :) - funnily enough this was on the back of when she was in Manchester so after actually hearing what she sounds like I haven't got a clue why it upset her as she is hardly Sally off Coronation St.

I think I benefit living here from having mates who are exiles (though a couple have now gone home) and also the amount of time I used to spend going to the matches every week and mixing with humans. I think I have lost some of my rough edges but I still think its a matter of character as well. I think I articulate the language quite clearly "despite" my accent so don't feel the need to compromise.

From where you get the nerve to chip on at anybody's accent, is a mystery.

I'm from Durham and I sound like it man :lol: Anyone who has spent any time in the North East can tell the difference between a Durham and a Mackem accent

No fucking idea where yours comes from Nicey

I'm from Durham and I sound like it man :lol: Anyone who has spent any time in the North East can tell the difference between a Durham and a Mackem accent

No fucking idea where yours comes from Nicey

To be fair, it's less what your accent is, and more about what you say. :dunno:

I find it fascinating that people have 'work voices' and essentially lead double lives.

You don't talk to your Grandma the same way you talk down the pub, do you?

I'm all for eloquence, but I have to say it's full of posh cunts and mackems on here like :(

Fish you sound like a posh Chopra.

Ooof, fucking Hell. :(

Thing is Stevie, I didn't have a broad accent to begin with, and University softened it even more, especially given the friends I met, but give me 3-4 pints in Newcastle and I'll be back to saying "give us it", "Nah" instead of No. Thinking about it, I seem to type more Geordie than I speak. I guess I've found it's often easier to soften my accent when I'm having to deal with people from outside the region, it's less about being likeable and more important that I sound like I know what I'm talking about.

Geordie always sounds too likeable, not serious enough, for me to feel comfortable using it at work.

I use more profane language when talking to my family than I do with anyone else--not that my family talks in that manner, rather they annoy the fuck out of me, whereas I can detach myself from random knobheads on account of the fact that I'm not related to them. One thing I never do is change my accent to suit someone else or to try and get ahead; the only time I change my accent is when doing a stupid voice in an attempt at humour.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

I use more profane language when talking to my family than I do with anyone else--not that my family talks in that manner, rather they annoy the fuck out of me, whereas I can detach myself from random knobheads on account of the fact that I'm not related to them. One thing I never do is change my accent to suit someone else or to try and get ahead; the only time I change my accent is when doing a stupid voice in an attempt at humour.

That's the thing for me, it's not that I'm changing my accent, just that it's a different... shade of my accent and also it's not conscious. My best mate grew up 3 miles from me, has a broader accent than me and while hearing my softer accent disappear almost entirely he said he'd never lose his. For a while that was true, but as he got more promotions and was dealing with more and more senior managers his accent has softened and now when I overhear him speaking to colleagues it's definitely lost a bit of the Geordie and his diction has become sharper.

:dunno: doesn't mean when we're back in the Tyne we sound like cockney's :lol:

To be fair, that is what Fish sounds like - even if it is a bit Alan Partridge :lol:

I'm being bawdy Cath, enjoy it.

I'm being bawdy Cath, enjoy it.

;)

I'm the same as you pet. Lived in Manchester for 10 years so (especially when I first came back) a bit of Manc creeps in from time to time. Still get in trouble from my brother for saying things like 'butties' and 'brew' although I've been back down there twice in the last month and it's dead easy to slip back into it, especially when I was out with Sammy and his Liam Gallagher tones...

;)

I'm the same as you pet. Lived in Manchester for 10 years so (especially when I first came back) a bit of Manc creeps in from time to time. Still get in trouble from my brother for saying things like 'butties' and 'brew' although I've been back down there twice in the last month and it's dead easy to slip back into it, especially when I was out with Sammy and his Liam Gallagher tones...

I'm not surprised, kept expecting him to talk holidays and where he's going for his Sunsheeeeeeiiiine :rolleyes:

Ooof, fucking Hell. :(

Thing is Stevie, I didn't have a broad accent to begin with, and University softened it even more, especially given the friends I met, but give me 3-4 pints in Newcastle and I'll be back to saying "give us it", "Nah" instead of No. Thinking about it, I seem to type more Geordie than I speak. I guess I've found it's often easier to soften my accent when I'm having to deal with people from outside the region, it's less about being likeable and more important that I sound like I know what I'm talking about.

Geordie always sounds too likeable, not serious enough, for me to feel comfortable using it at work.

I see not toning down my accent too much at work as an act of defiance. I've worked with loads of people who assume accent = thick and I see it as my duty to prove them wrong.

If people won't put the effort in to understand what I maintain is pretty clear English then fuck them.

I've an accent for:

• when I'm presenting to senior management
  • when I'm speaking to 3rd parties or the coppers themselves
  • when I'm speaking to people in the office in a casual way
  • when I'm with mates from Uni or when I'm with mates from home who live in London
  • when I'm with mates from home who live in Newcastle
  • when I'm on the pull (dubbed "Bravado Dave" by mates)

What the fuck? :lol: Do they call you Fletch?