Mathieu Debuchy

Newcastle United could face a fight to hold on to Mathieu Debuchy this summer.

Sources in Italy have indicated to the Chronicle that Manchester City are eager to sign Mehdi Benatia for up to £25m from AS Roma.

And the Serie A club will use some of the proceeds to lure another centre-back and full-back Debuchy to Rome, where he may well be re-united with his old Lille boss Rudi Garcia.

The 50-year-old remains a big fan of Debuchy, but there is also interest in the right-back from Monaco, who can also offer Champions League football.

Monaco have also been credited with an interest in Moussa Sissoko in recent days, according to reports in France.

And ensuring that both of the World Cup-bound stars remain at Newcastle could be one of the first tasks on new Managing Director Lee Charnley’s schedule when the duo return to training in July.

Both players have been granted an extended holiday due to their World Cup commitments with France.

Monaco are currently managerless, but their continental internal structure means that a list of targets is already in place.

Backed by Russian billionaire Dmitry Rybolovlev, money is no object for the club and, with Monaco ready to kick on and challenge for the Ligue 1 title, players like Debuchy and Sissoko fit the bill at Stade Louis II.

Just a year ago Debuchy shrugged off a move to Monaco.

But that was when the player was settled and with his close pal Yohan Cabaye by his side at Newcastle.

A year on and Debuchy has been linked with German giants Bayern Munich, while Liverpool are also thought to have run the rule over the right-back.

Debuchy, though, is contracted to United until 2018 and with the player valued at £8m, Monaco and any other potential suitors would have to reach the asking price.

Sissoko is on Newcastle’s books until 2019.

Whether the pair’s stock rises during the World Cup remains to be seen.

Debuchy and Sissoko have been handed extra time off after the World Cup and aren’t likely to return until later in July.

They will miss the Magpies’ opening friendly game with Oldham Atheltic on July 15 and, depending on how far France go in the World Cup in Brazil, it remains to be seen how much of a part the pair play in the club’s forthcoming tour of New Zealand.

The Magpies have also been linked with a move for 21-year-old midfielder Nampalys Mendy of Nice.

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People can waffle all they like but he certainly has lived up to his billing.

Can't recall many storming runs to the bye line or great saving tackles. (And let's not even try and compare him to Danny goal line saviour Simpson).

On the contrary he's certainly improved on his earlier disastrous showings, but at the same time there's many a goal assist being created by the opposition in his patch.

People can waffle all they like but he certainly has lived up to his billing.

Can't recall many storming runs to the bye line or great saving tackles. (And let's not even try and compare him to Danny goal line saviour Simpson).

On the contrary he's certainly improved on his earlier disastrous showings, but at the same time there's many a goal assist being created by the opposition in his patch.

CT, Whoever you may be

You make your mark being contrary

But it can't get worse

You know you're never right,

Posting your non stop football shite.

CT, Whoever you may be

You make your mark being contrary

But it can't get worse

You know you're never right,

Posting your non stop football shite.

To the tune of 'This Old Man' :D

L’Equipe carrying the following quotes from Mathieu Debuchy, the full-back first answering a perception amongst many French football fans that while Debuchy is better going forward, Sagna has the edge defensively;

“There are people who give their opinion, and everyone is free to think what they want, but this is not my opinion.

“I was frustrated because the coach (Alan Pardew) asked me to stay back, while in the France team the coach tells me to stay high (up the pitch).

“If you do not attack enough, people will say that you do not do enough offensively and if you go up too much, they will say you are not defensively sound.

“Which is why there will always be critics.”

I think the likes of Sissoko and Anita will have similar stories to tell. Told to hold back by our cretin of a manager. Half their minds must be set on how to try avoid being Pardewed, so they have some semblance of a future left.

• 4 weeks later...

Mathieu Debuchy Says He’ll Consider His Future After World Cup11 hours ago by Jim Robertson

While I love to see all Newcastle players do well for their countries, my heart does sink when players such as Mathieu Debuchy are flying for France.

On the back of a couple of excellent performances in Brazil, Debuchy has now told reporters that he is missing the Champions League and will look at his club position after the World Cup ends.

Mathieu Debuchy;

“It is European Cup competition I miss, specifically the Champions League.

Right now I’m focused on the World Cup, after we’ll see.”

The United right-back stated before the World Cup that his attacking instinct had been stifled by Alan Pardew over the past season and how much he preferred the job he was given to do when playing for the national team.

Encouraged to play far further up the pitch by Didier Deschamps, it is little wonder that Debuchy has been outstanding in the group matches so far, as his natural game comes into play.

Little wonder to most fans if arguably Newcastle’s best player last season will now be looking for an ambitious club side to match his style and personal ambitions.

Meanwhile Alan Pardew is lecturing Roy Hodgson on where he is going wrong with tactics and player positions – you could not make it up.

This from The Mag

Well not really. He had a class season and he's simply too good for a mid table team. He'll want more money and Champions League football. Especially now his best mate will be picking up a lot more money at PSG.

"Meanwhile Alan Pardew is lecturing Roy Hodgson on where he is going wrong with tactics and player positions – you could not make it up."

That bit made me laugh - how true. The bloke's got some brass neck tbh...

Well not really. He had a class season and he's simply too good for a mid table team. He'll want more money and Champions League football. Especially now his best mate will be picking up a lot more money at PSG.

I was jovially referring to playing our naturally-offense-minded right back in a defensive role.

Can't have any player who might push us into a european place and endanger the next season's chances of survival.

They'll get a decent bid for him and he'll be off a few games into the season - then we'll get the 'we couldn't get a deal done in time' spiel.

Far too good for the clubs level of ambition, he's a champions league level full back tbh. I'd be surprised if he was still here at the start of the season. Cabaye was the main reason he was here, Debuchy had a class season and now Cabaye is gone.

Well if Debuchy isn't saying it Pardew will be. The entire mission statement of the club is to buy players, ''develop them'' and sell them for a profit.

United will probably see it as a failure if If Debuchy sees his contract out and leaves in his 30s on a free.