Euro 2012 Catch-all Thread

PS - it's a pretty negative way to set up the side but that's modern football for you. chelsea just won the champions league playing like that. the stats/chances column look appalling but when you reduce the opposition to so few clear cut chances, you have to say it's a plan well executed, albeit not the most exciting or stylish brand of football.

France will really tonk someone this tournament.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They didn't look shite at all last night. Not did Ukraine.

Not sure which game you were watching but it wasn't the one on BBC. They had a 10 minute spell at the start of the second half where they put some passes together, the rest of the game they were very very poor. They're worse at keeping the ball than England and with people like Blackburn's Martin Olsen, it's no surprise. Easily one of the worst sides in the tournament, and as everyone keeps saying, we're going to be totally gutted if we don't beat these on Friday. I think Hansen made the point that despite the second half being exciting the quality was shite, and just how poor will Euro2016 be when you have 24 teams rather than 16, when you already have shite like these two.

I made the comparison that if Euro2012 was the BPL, we'd be the toon and these two would be Bolton and WBA on twitter, almost to a man people commented that's extremely harsh on Bolton and WBA. Two desperate sides.

Our best chance to beat a geriatric Sweden in a long time. Must win game or Ukraine will only need a draw against us.

Our best chance to beat a geriatric Sweden in a long time. Must win game or Ukraine will only need a draw against us.

We beat them in a friendly about 5 months ago, but we need to do it in competitive football too to get the monkey off our back. They're so poor, interesting that you use the word geriatric when of their best players is nearly 35 in Mellburg. Two of the worst sides I've seen at this level. The two strikers for Ukraine Sheva and Voronin, are testimonial level, certainly they should be against two proper sides like England and France.

Wish I had your confidence Stevie, I can easily see us losing our other two games. Not saying we will obviously, but of the four teams yesterday I thought we were the worst.

Wish I had your confidence Stevie, I can easily see us losing our other two games. Not saying we will obviously, but of the four teams yesterday I thought we were the worst.

You're joking? We were playing against a team who have been together for 2 years, who are unbeaten in 22 games including victories over Brazil, England and Germany, playing with a largely new side, with a new way of playing, having played two games and had nine training sessions before the game in 88 degree heat?! I thought we were magnificent especially in the first half, we had a game plan to get a result and it worked restricting them to shots from outside the box. All of this being done without one of the best players in the world, because regardless what anyone says, that's what Rooney is.

It's like Liverpool getting a draw at Old Trafford playing conservative football, but saying we're the worst of four sides because Cardiff v Boro was quite exciting. You'll see a more attacking side on Friday without the heat, and you'll see the difference.

Not sure which game you were watching

Sweden vs. Ukraine.

Let's see what happens on Friday. Sounds like we should absolutely whop them.

I was quite heartened after the England result, watched Sweden v Ukraine and was immediately back to thinking we probably won't get out the group after all.

I think we should be proud of England yesterday considering all of the factors I've mentioned. We were better yesterday than we were against Ireland in 1990, and had a good tournament. Spain lost to Switzerland in their opening game of the last World Cup, and hung on against Chile in the next game. It's not about how you start it's about how you finish, you get in to a rhythm by game three.

I think the media are right to praise everything, and as Parky said Sweden are no spring chickens, and Ukraine's three main men Sheva, Voronin and Tymoschuk are about 100 years between them, while we have youth on our side right round the park.

We looked really tired yesterday in the 2nd half. This doesnt bode well.

We looked really tired yesterday in the 2nd half. This doesnt bode well.

Were you aware the temperature was 88 degrees fahrenheit? Our next two games are at 745 when it'll be much cooler, also Kiev is a lot colder than Donetsk. It'll make a big difference to the tempo the pasty English can play the game at. Parker looked like he was ganna die.

Chuffed with the performance yesterday. I believe if we play how we can against Ukraine and Sweden we should be fine. Hats off to Hodgy for starting Oxo cube, Lescott and Terry looked solid. Gerrard looked decent too. That Debuchy lad looked a real handful. Can imagine France annihilating someone before the tournament is over.

All in all, would have happily taken that result this time yesterday - the confident performance on top of it (even though we sat back quite often and let them take turns with long range shots) was a little bonus. Nice one England.

Edited by ADP

:lol: I thought you were done with England, Stevie. Your days of overexpecting were all over. Now we're about to have a repeat of Italia 90.

:lol: I thought you were done with England, Stevie. Your days of overexpecting were all over. Now we're about to have a repeat of Italia 90.

We'll get beat in the Quarter Final, because we're far behind Spain and a few others, but the toon would beat Sweden and Ukraine never mind England.

As somebody who lost interest in Team England when the likes of Beardsley left and the "Golden Generation" started, I have to say I enjoyed the game last night.

Nice not having all the expectation and hype and also felt better about the majority of the players on the pitch.

A bit like the rebirth of Newcastle following relegation, this could have the same effect "feel wise".

Give this tournament their best and then build up properly to the world cup.

Definitely has me interested a bit more.

As somebody who lost interest in Team England when the likes of Beardsley left and the "Golden Generation" started, I have to say I enjoyed the game last night.

Nice not having all the expectation and hype and also felt better about the majority of the players on the pitch.

A bit like the rebirth of Newcastle following relegation, this could have the same effect "feel wise".

Give this tournament their best and then build up properly to the world cup.

Definitely has me interested a bit more.

Thats the key like, not so much about this tournament but the next one. And Hodgy's got a 4 year contract to see it through. Add Wilshire,Cahill and one or two others and its looking ok. Hopefully they'll have a better attitiude than some of their predecessors.

The temperature was the same for both teams and tbh only Ribery looked like he was blowing at one point and it wasnt as bad as Parker. Just shows how hard we worked by inviting the French onto us.

Was really annoyed we didnt test Mexes as I thought he was the weak link.

The temperature was the same for both teams and tbh only Ribery looked like he was blowing at one point and it wasnt as bad as Parker. Just shows how hard we worked by inviting the French onto us.

That's fine the temperature was the same for both teams, but we didn't get battered anyway. Hart's had a quiet afternoon.

Did anyone notice Rooney say to his mate "FUCK! I'd have scored" when Milner missed the open goal.