Euro 2012 Catch-all Thread

Happy Russia are out, for non-footballjng reasons, I thought that giant banner was out of order. Has anyone actually worked out what they meant by 'this is russia'? It seems to have been swept under the carpet.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy Russia are out, for non-footballjng reasons, I thought that giant banner was out of order. Has anyone actually worked out what they meant by 'this is russia'? It seems to have been swept under the carpet.

Yes it's pretty sweet justice in my eyes too.

My (unsure and simplistic) understanding of it was that it was a direct taunt back to the Russian 'rule' over them under Stalin in the aftermath of WW2.

The march of the supposed 5000 Russians to the stadium (that was allowed by Polish authorities on Russia Day unbelievably) that preceeded the game (where trouble featured) a similar show of their apparent contempt for Poles although it way publically played down as such .

The World Cup's going to be fun and games !

It's to do with the education system in Russia. Putin sets the syllabus for geography lessons, which consist of a teacher pointing a world globe with a stick and repeating, "This is Russia," for half an hour, three times a week.

I presumed it was a reference to Poland being a slave state and a pretty literal claim to the territory - slightly provocative to say the least.

"group of death" tonight....the cloggies have no points but can still qualify...dont ask me how, but some geezer in a dress has just explained it all on the BBC news channel....the BBC admirably encouraging diversity there but "she" could've had a shave before she went into make-up this morning...

"group of death" tonight....the cloggies have no points but can still qualify...dont ask me how, but some geezer in a dress has just explained it all on the BBC news channel....the BBC admirably encouraging diversity there but "she" could've had a shave before she went into make-up this morning...

She's unbelievable her. She's got a proper pretend bloke's commentator voice. Like when someone's doing an impression of a commentator, she presents the sports news in that voice.

Sweet Jesus, they'll jump on anything minor like this (if it even happened!) and then forget all about the racism coming from the Eastern Block, jokers.

Cabaye nursing a slight injury apparently before France's last group match

Thought that why he'd come off in the last game, I noticed he was feeling his lower back (and arse cheek) at a corner just before being subbed

BBC streamed both games last night online

anyone know if ITV will be doing tonight?

I doubt it, and even if they were, could you tolerate turbo-sht commentary in stereo?

BBC streamed both games last night online

anyone know if ITV will be doing tonight?

Good question.

They'll obviously be streaming one of the games as they've been doing all tournament long, and I'd assume they wouldn't want to lag behind the BBC by not streaming both.

Edited by Monroe Transfer

I doubt it, and even if they were, could you tolerate turbo-sht commentary in stereo?

thats what mute is for, then again ITVs streaming stuff is always piss poor quality tvcatchup might get a double use instead

thats what mute is for, then again ITVs streaming stuff is always piss poor quality tvcatchup might get a double use instead

Also, you have to take into account the distinct possibility that itv will deem goals less worthy of your attention than a WKD advert