Good Holiday Reads

Gemmill

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm concerned that they're too much of a mission. Are they not all 1000 pages each?

900, but each chapter is from the point of view of a different character, so it'd be possible to read them as a collection of short stories that also have a broader narrative.

George R.R. Martins Game of Thrones series trots along at a fair old pace, so if you've not read that I'd definitely grab them on the kindle

what a shout for some of my summer reading! cheers

ukann-victor-1980.jpg

Or......

Commando0016.jpg

Character building books. (Actually had that Victor annual!) :D

I get the feeling CT is on the wind up regarding his non-reading statement, could do with some new reading material myself so chop-chop everyone, My kindle needs filling. :good:

Or......

Character building books. (Actually had that Victor annual!) :D

I get the feeling CT is on the wind up regarding his non-reading statement, could do with some new reading material myself so chop-chop everyone, My kindle needs filling. :good:

Not at all :lol:

The thought of reading a book for entertainment purpose is totally alien to me and I seriously dont know where people get the time.

Take away the hours people eat, sleep and work and your left with a very small amount of time to do other stuff. Then take away family time, hobbies, forums, pub etc etc and we are left with moments. Take away sex and even the moments are gone.

All I can imagine is that people either have extremely dull lives (thats Fish covered) or that they go to bed early, get the stripe jim jams on an read in bed.

Why anyone would plough through a book when you can watch the DVD :loser:

Now if the book is to learn and better yourself then fine, but reading an auto biography about Jordan or some other fucker. No thanks.

The thought of reading a book for entertainment purpose is totally alien to me and I seriously dont know where people get the time.

Take away the hours people eat, sleep and work and your left with a very small amount of time to do other stuff. Then take away family time, hobbies, forums, pub etc etc and we are left with moments. Take away sex and even the moments are gone.

All I can imagine is that people either have extremely dull lives (thats Fish covered) or that they go to bed early, get the stripe jim jams on an read in bed.

Why anyone would plough through a book when you can watch the DVD :loser:

Now if the book is to learn and better yourself then fine, but reading an auto biography about Jordan or some other fucker. No thanks.

:lol: So you're out in the sun/on holiday and want a relax. So you go indoors and watch a DVD which rapes the storyline as opposed to the book?

The Dragon tattoo trilogy filled my last holiday well. I've just finished Lee Child - Killing Floor and Jeffrey Archer - Only Time Will Tell, both excellent

:lol: So you're out in the sun/on holiday and want a relax. So you go indoors and watch a DVD which rapes the storyline as opposed to the book?

My idea of hell would be sitting by a pool in the sun reading a book.

Gotta be do do do'ing.

My advice, go somewhere more interesting on holiday.

CT can't find the time in his day to read a book cos he's too busy trawling the Internet for horribly written non-news about NUFC, or giving 9/10 reviews to cliched romcoms.

"What dull lives you bookworms all lead."

CT, you've read the equivalent of War and Peace times 10 on toontastic. Why are you so boring?

Kermodes books are bite sized yarns and rants suitably easy going for holidays. Maybe Karl Pilkington too. I Didnt read them on holiday like. The only books I ever read on holiday were Bob Dylans chronicles and 'your brain on music' the latter probably falls into your boring classification, I go more with fascinating. Just because I'm drinking a pino colada at midday, doesn't mean I switch taste to Michael McIntyre or Swedish whodunnits.

Was thinking of Bob Dylan's Chronicles, but have only got a hardback version and want to just be rocking the kindle. Might see if I can find a free kindle version of it somewhere. Might have a look at Kermode's offerings.

Forums are alive they are interaction!

It's the virtual equivalent of being in a pub and having a chat.

Books ....... Yawnsville.

You can tweet loads of authors. ;)

I can't wait till your home brew is cracked open, tastes like diptheria in a bottle and you move on to the next hobby...I recommend reading a book is your next 'thing'. I reckon you'd love Louise Bagshawe.

Guess its just taste really. I very rarely go to the cinema or watch films because I've always preferred books/Tv series ehich allow for better development etc. Will still watch if it sounds up my street though rather than a sweeping ban.

Carlos Ruosiz Zafon has a new book out in his 'Shadow of the Wind' canon. If you've not read the first two then highly recommended in the first place. I read the first one on holiday on Sri Lanka!

In your case, 16 hours a day. He carries one of these in the cab to facilitate constant eating:

loo.jpg

Now he can continue eating whilst defecating and obviously it is easy to eat while working in the cab. CT's life is split between the time he spends eating, and the time he spends unconscious.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

Gemmill, have you ever read Carl Hiaasen? I've been thinking about him a bit today after that man was shot dead whilst eating some guys face in Miami. He is or was a journalist for the Miami Herald and writes excellent crime capers. If you've not read any then I can recommend a few of his. What about Harlan Coben? His stuff is usually alright.

I'm reading A History of Histories by John Burrow at the minute. Not a book about the fall of the roman empire but a book about books about the fall of the roman empire :lol: Not taking that to Menorca anyway.