Building and Contents Insurance

Kid Dynamite

I have an external garage in a block of garages opposite my house. The roof on it is fucked after all the rain we've had, it's got a big crack the full length of the garage that has rotted the whole roof inside.

I can't find any mention of external garages on my policy, but it's part of my house as of the deeds/land registry.

Anyone know if this will be covered under the insurance?

I'm guessing that b&c insurance covers all 'outbuildings' but as is always the case with insurance there may be some weird and wonderful miniscule paragraph that says not. Just give them a call.

It is possible to get an insurance for your building and it also includes all the contents of your building. May I ask, have you already insured your building? How much is the rate?

Edited by Choo

I made 5 claims on my house insurance in 20 years, 4 or which were met, 1 of which was stretching a point because it was a damaged engagement ring that got caught on a bannister but they met the claim as it came under household possessions. Another was damp in the kitchen caused by a leaking central heating/boiler pipe. Another was loss of food etc caused by a broken down freezer. Can't remember the first one. The only one they refused was when a bit of flashing came off the roof in the wind, they said it was caused by natural wear and tear, so I can't complain.

They are still twats though. Like most insurance, happy enough until its time to pay out. Look at your deeds and make the claim, they can only say no. However your premium may go up a bit.

Edited by LeazesMag

• 2 weeks later...

So I put the claim in and had someone from the insurance company come out and tell me that

1 - My garage should be covered as it is on my deeds

2 - Most garage claims are refused because the felt on the roof has worn naturally. Mine hasn't and is in good condition compared to most

3 - He can see clear evidence that heavy rain has destroyed my roof and is causing the leak

Then I get a phone call to say my claim has been refused because

1 - Rain doesn't constitute storm damage. He's checked the weather forecast and there were no gale force winds in the area at that time. (I never claimed there were tbf)

2 - I only have standard building and contents insurance, not accidental damage

He basically said my garage roof is fucked through no fault of my own. The ton of rain we had in May has fucked it and it looks in great nick so should have a lot of life left in it yet. BUT my claim has been turned down.

Dodgy cunts

Insurance is an appalling scam. I already know I'm losing at least a third of the cost of my honeymoon (to Aus, so BIG expense), which I had to cancel towards the back end of last year.

It is. I also found out off the same bloke that my house is insured for £96k. It cost me £121k! Think I'll be making a visit next week to find out what the crack is and where I stand with the cover I've currently got