Prometheus v Batman Rises

Park Life

Qutie fascinated to see how the AI character works out. Scott is quite fascinated by this typeage. The backstory here like in Blade Runner is transhumanism I guess.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well BHD was more recent than Gladiator at least. I've not seen American Gangster but I don't recall it receiving widespread approval either.

My point is that his name on a film is supposed to add weight and respect, but this is almost entirely due to films he made 20-30 years ago. Nowadays when I see his name on a poster it means very little. The last film of his I saw was Robin Hood, which was really, really shit, embarrassingly so, the sort of dreadful turkey that supposedly great directors just shouldn't have on their CVs.

Well, the only films that are stand-out-ish by him Id say are Alien and Bladerunner. Which I guess is your point.

Aye I'd agree with all the slating of Prometheus... went to see it at the cinema on Monday, and whilst the 3D was great the actual storyline was just a bit bland, and there was no real suspense or building of tension.

Was a real let down in all fairness and wouldn't recommend going to see it. It's fine for a DVD on a saturday night in or something like that, but other than flashy visuals the plot and actual action was naff.

Although gotta give the guy from Pete vs Life a big round of applause for somehow ending up in one of the biggest hyped films in years... even if his american accent was a bit 'odd' :D

Agree with most of what's been said, hugely underwhelming, zero tension or character development, formulaic beyond belief for the most part. I disagree with Ajax Andy in that I thought the 3D added nowt but that's a matter of preference. Having said that I'll probably go and see it again just to make sure (in 2D this time).

Agree with most of what's been said, hugely underwhelming, zero tension or character development, formulaic beyond belief for the most part. I disagree with Ajax Andy in that I thought the 3D added nowt but that's a matter of preference. Having said that I'll probably go and see it again just to

make sure (in 2D this time).

Problem with the script or has Ridley just shot it by-the-numbers?

Aye I'd agree with all the slating of Prometheus... went to see it at the cinema on Monday, and whilst the 3D was great the actual storyline was just a bit bland, and there was no real suspense or building of tension.

Was a real let down in all fairness and wouldn't recommend going to see it. It's fine for a DVD on a saturday night in or something like that, but other than flashy visuals the plot and actual action was naff.

Although gotta give the guy from Pete vs Life a big round of applause for somehow ending up in one of the biggest hyped films in years... even if his american accent was a bit 'odd' :D

Ideally when you're on a long space trip to somewhere an easy way to create tension is by writing someone on-board who is trying to sabotage the trip.

There seemed to be a lot of scenes missing which Ridley will no doubt expose in a directors cut version. The character development was very poor. I barely remembered their names, nevermind caring about them. I was bit worried about Damon Lindelof doing the screenwriting. Unfortunately, I think he dropped the ball on this one. Good work on Star Trek but this had more Lost about it.

Ideally when you're on a long space trip to somewhere an easy way to create tension is by writing someone on-board who is trying to sabotage the trip.

Just go and see it man. :D

Precisely what Kermode said about it, contrasting it with how whenever something happened to someone in Alien, you knew who it was

Early plot points it used to be, back in the day gave time to 'buy into' the characters. As you say in 'Alien' they feel real with their humdrum concerns on the grimy and old 'Nostromo'.

Just seen prometheus. I quite enjoyed it. Not as scary as Alien, or as action orientated as Aliens but a good film in its own right. Oh and those saying it has nothing to do with the alien franchise obviously haven't seen it as it is very much a prequel regardless of Ripley etc. not being in it

Just seen prometheus. I quite enjoyed it. Not as scary as Alien, or as action orientated as Aliens but a good film in its own right. Oh and those saying it has nothing to do with the alien franchise obviously haven't seen it as it is very much a prequel regardless of Ripley etc. not being in it

even some of the original score is in it ala avp, prequel trilogy dependant on sales/ profit apparantly, am lost for a sequel already

I think peoples reactions are heavily influenced by how much they loved the first 2. I used to be a bit of a fanboy for them so my expectations were dead high, and it was a decent film but just lacked that killer punch, that something special that stays with you.

The main character was just too Ripley-lite for me as well, in Alien the strong female was refreshing, here she just felt like a well-worn cliche.

Also *******SPOILERISH******* I can't for the life of my understand how a crew who were presumably meant to be leaders in their field, could be so repeatedly incompetent in every aspect of their mission. Taking their helmets off for one, even in high school labs messing with bunsen burners you knew never to take your goggles off. Instantly made you care less about them when they were so blatantly begging for disaster *ENDSPOILERISHHHHHHHHH*

Script all the way mate. As others have said it feel like some chunks of it are sitting on the cutting room floor and as such it kinds just bangs along without filling in a lot of blanks. Don't want to say too much but there's a couple of 'reveals' which you will see coming half an hour before hand. As you'd expect from Sir Rid it's beautiful to look at though. Jonas has hit it on the head, there's just something missing for me, can't put my finger on what exactly but he's right when he says it doesn't have that punch. Also was it just me or was it too light (both in terms of tone and aesthetic)? other than when they're in the structure everything looks a bit too sunny and nice for my liking. Oh and the music is proper gash anarl.

Script all the way mate. As others have said it feel like some chunks of it are sitting on the cutting room floor and as such it kinds just bangs along without filling in a lot of blanks. Don't want to say too much but there's a couple of 'reveals' which you will see coming half an hour before hand. As you'd expect from Sir Rid it's beautiful to look at though. Jonas has hit it on the head, there's just something missing for me, can't put my finger on what exactly but he's right when he says it doesn't have that punch. Also was it just me or was it too light (both in terms of tone and aesthetic)? other than when they're in the structure everything looks a bit too sunny and nice for my liking. Oh and the music is proper gash anarl.

Yeah not enough of a grungy feel to it... after all the planet and structures aren't pretty to look at, yet lack any sort of starkness or bleakness to them. The film is shiny and should be gritty instead.

I don't think the script was that bad tbh, I just think it was poorly executed. There's plenty to work with there if you decide to rough it up a bit and also build things up a little slower and add some tension to it. However it just plods along in it's nice shiny way without any elements that make you nervous or scared.

It was always going to be tough to get a dark, gritty feel to the film. 3d films have to be filmed in a really bright environment as 3d glasses darken the screen considerably. They actually had to darken the scenes post filming

Cinematographer Dariusz Wolski convinced Ridley Scott that it would be possible to shoot the film in 3D with the same ease and efficiency of typical filming. 3D company 3ality Technica provided some of the rigs and equipment to facilitate 3D filming, and trained the film's crew in their proper operation. Since 3D films need high lighting levels on set, the traditional dark shadowy atmosphere of the Alien films was added in post-production through grading processes, while the 3D equipment will be based on post-"Avatar" technology.