Family day out ideas for school holidays

Howmanheyman

It does what it says on the tin.........

I think most schools break up for a week from the 4th June so as I'm also off that week thought it might be a good idea to put up a thread with some ideas for things to do for those of us with kids, even looking as far ahead to the summer hols if you like?

I saw this on true-faith, http://www.true-fait...94?OpenDocument about a NUFC history exhibition at the Discovery Museum in Newcastle and will throw that idea up straight away even if the exhibition doesn't start till october the Museum is well worth a visit as......

1, it's free!!

2, it's in the heart of the City,

3, The Maritime models alone and the models of the Tyne River make it worth seeing alone,

4, The lifesize replica of The Turbinia (The ship, not the Pub on the Fossway!)

5, General historical items from our magnificent City.

There's also inter active stuff for the kids to do and a science floor at the top which kids should like. I'd recommend it if you haven't been.

Any other ideas are very welcome as I'm scratching my head a bit to make some plans!!!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As usual I will be bumping the North Yorkshire show thread.

This will be my third year and I can not stress enough what a fantastic family day out this is.

Is that where the Gypsies drive their horse and traps up the motorway to so they can get pissed and stab each other?

As usual I will be bumping the North Yorkshire show thread.

This will be my third year and I can not stress enough what a fantastic family day out this is.

Is that where the Gypsies drive their horse and traps up the motorway to so they can get pissed and stab each other?

If you can throw in two lithe 18 year old naked Gypsy girls mud wrestling each other to Cher's 'Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves' I may consider it to be honest.

If you can throw in two lithe 18 year old naked Gypsy girls mud wrestling each other to Cher's 'Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves' I may consider it to be honest.

Maybe not, but they do have the world famous "wet tshirt whilst riding a horse competition". :)

dd_20080607_Appleby_Horse_Fair_0004.jpg

Bad weather- Hancock or Discovery museum.

Good weather- Housesteads and/or Vindolanda. Buy the younger a wooden roman sword and let them loose. Can be combined with a walk along to Steelriggs.

Also keep a look out for the free museum weekend when tyne and wear open up all their facilities for free. Not just museums but quite a lot of varied other stuff as well.

Last year we went to the aircraft museum next to nissan which was not only a lot bigger than I thought, but really good as well. Getting to climb up the ladder and sit in the pilots seat of the Vulcan was amazing. You can not believe that such a beast of a plane is so tiny inside.

edit 6th - 9th September

http://www.twhods.org.uk/

Howmanheyman

might be best to combine this with the days out thread as they are virtually the same and easier to keep all the good ideas together for easy reference.

http://www.toontastic.net/board/topic/30349-days-out-in-the-country/

Edited by Christmas Tree

At Round the Twist now with Destructo Boy- its a big, new soft play warehouse near Benton Asda.

The play area is decent enough, clean and in good nick.

What sets it apart from the many , many, many others I've endured is the menu -

Slow roast lamb shank in Bordelaise sauce

Arabiatta penne with chorizo and courgette.

Eton Mess

All homemade ( even the burgers, CT)

I paid £3.95 to get in today.

Few places I take the kids now

- Hall Hill Farm (off the A68 down from Concett) prob one of the best local farms I know of. Kids playground (indoor and outdoor) and they can get to hold rabbits, hamsters, chicks or ride a pony. Place has goats, various breeds of sheep, deer, wallaby, alpacca, llama, cows etc.

- Sea life center - Ill stick it down but Im not keen. Its small, busy and full of tramps :lol:

- Diggerland in Durham

- adventure land (was Mini Moos farm) near Chester-le-St

- Whitehouse farm (the old classic with the big tube slide)

- Beamish Wild - Bird of prey place behind Beamish Hall Hotel, also has a few other things there for kids like zip wires and a play ground

- Washington WWT - Play area for the kids and a shit load of birds. Basically.

At Round the Twist now with Destructo Boy- its a big, new soft play warehouse near Benton Asda.

The play area is decent enough, clean and in good nick.

What sets it apart from the many , many, many others I've endured is the menu -

Slow roast lamb shank in Bordelaise sauce

Arabiatta penne with chorizo and courgette.

Eton Mess

All homemade ( even the burgers, CT)

I paid £3.95 to get in today.

That's fairly local to me and my girls are itching to go but I drove past it the other week on the way to ASDA and the queues were snaking around the building! Is it chocka in there, mate?

I'm pleased there's plenty of seating, I used to sometimes take them to Adventurelands near Cochrane Park and always struggled for a seat. Remember seeing her from Eastenders and Corrie, (Jill Halfpenny?) in there and had a brief chat with our Ex-Peruvian trumpet player in there as well. (I told him his goal against Munich was class or words to that effect). :lol:

Could all you twats with kids please stay at home next week and not ruin the entire world, cos I'm off work. :razz:

Excuse me, El Cunto Chops, I completely resemble that remark!

:lol:

Where you going next week Gemmill? I'll make plans

He's appearing on an ITV special one off show, 'Whatever happened to the Milky Bar Kid?', screening sometime in the Autumn schedule.

You heard it here first, folks. :good:

No need for that, MF, just cos the lad had legs like a pipecleaner with a knot in the middle doesn't mean you have to give him that kinda stick!

You're right. It was a bit naughty

Rickets can affect anyone