Second Signing of the window

Toonpack

Sounds like someone may have tried to poach him...not surprised, and he deserves a ma-hoosive pay rise for his work here in the last couple of years. The most important person at the club outside of the players, and possibly including some of them too.

He'll be 75! A bloke that age shouldn't be picking up so many airmiles.

Wot the fuck!! ..... you saying I should stay on the ground cos I'm 79?

Would have to have been lolerpool.

I'm sure they were after him, wasn't it in the chron a few month ago ?

Anyway good news we've got him on a good contract.

Even if he finds one or two more class players he'll be well worth it.

I thought he had 4 years already left on his previous contract?

Either way its a good news, I prefer having a scouting network set up by the club that works with the manager rather than being the managers own scouts, reduces the chances of the situation we had when Roeder took the job full time and had hardly any backroom staff as they went with Souness, leaving him to scout Kuyt who had already said he was joining Liverpool :lol:

I wonder if Llambias will ask his recommendations if Pardew ever leaves?

Interviewed on Radio Newcastle tonight and said a lot without saying a lot.

Mike Ashley here for the long haul and there will be money available to improve the squad with quality players this summer and every summer.

Confirmed we are currently working on quality incomings.

Quite reassuring to hear just how good this guy is, how good his cb is and how well he knows the European Market.

When you here him talk about watching Cisse as an 18 year old and Cabaye as an under 19 you begin to get a glimpse into the football knowledge rolling around in his head.

We have no interest currently in scouting further afield than Europe.

Worth listening to it if you get the chance.

Quotes from G.Carr, lifted from N-O

- Graham Carr's meeting with MA/DL/AP was at Ashleys house in Majorca and the contract was the first thing on the agenda. They sat for two days working on a target list and are now pursuing.

- "The reason I signed this contract was that Mike convinced me he was there for the long haul and there is money to spend again"

- " I watched Cisse for years and I never thought we would get him."

- "We work on an age group we monitor and work on the basis if worst come to worse we would get our money back"

- “We are not scouting Asia, South America, etc even Germany is hard as their wages are on a par with the PL"

- "We dont think we can compete with the big clubs at 16/17. We look at players playing 1st team football at a young age"

- "I saw Cisse play at 16, Cabaye at 19, Tiote at 21. We watch these players for a long time"

- "We dont really scout end of march/ April because players are tired. Players coming in this summer I watched at start of season"

- "I get a feel for a player. If I watch a team enough i know pretty instinctively who can play.I do a lot of homework though too"”

- "HBA is a maverick, you have to put your arm around him and love him. He is a better player for how he has been treated here"”

- "MA has committed himself to this club and we will buy this summer. As we speak we are in negotiations with players now."

- "This is my dream job. My father sat in the old East Stand in the 30s and i went with him as a boy. This club is in my blood"

wish we'd got debuachy(sp) signed before the euros (if he's still on the cards)

although i'd still prefer a left back and santon moved to the right

I'm hoping we've got a fee agreed as long as he doesn't get injured.

but then I also hope that I'm going to marry Susan Coffey.

How do you feel after signing your new contract, Graham? And how did it come about?

To be honest, it was quite a shock really. I got a phone call from Derek Llambias who asked if I was available to come and meet Mike (Ashley). We had a chat for three or four hours about everything on our side, the scouting side, and then I met Mike again the next day for a couple of hours.

We spent a couple of days talking about our targets, which had been discussed previously with Alan (Pardew). Alan had identified the players we're after and for Mike, who's a busy man, it was a great opportunity for us to get together and talk about them.

And when I got offered the contract, I signed there and then. We were just discussing players and suddenly, out of nothing, he told me what he was going to offer me.

I like working for him so it didn't matter if it was one year or 20 years. I just like working for Newcastle - but it came as a real surprise.

Mike Ashley committed to backing Newcastle - Graham Carr

Newcastle United chief scout Graham Carr has said owner Mike Ashley will provide funds to manager Alan Pardew for squad strengthening this summer.

Carr, who recommended players such as Cheick Tiote, Yohan Cabaye and Papiss Demba Cisse, has advised Pardew on further Magpies targets.

"Mike has committed himself to the club and there will be money available to buy players," Carr told BBC Newcastle.

"As we speak we are in the market for players to improve the squad."

Carr, who recently signed an eight-year deal with the Tyneside club, has operated largely in northern Europe with signings from France and the Netherlands.

It is an approach which was taken amid tough competition from Premier League rivals, with Tiote, Cabaye and Cisse already proving their worth by helping the club into Europe last season.

"We're making steady progress," Carr added.

"We don't think we can compete with the big clubs for the 16, 17-year-olds, because Manchester United will blow us out of the water.

"What we try to look at is players who are playing first-team football at quite a young age.

"I first saw Papiss Cisse playing for Metz, he was on a Senegalese training camp they had there but he didn't have the passport to come in.

"I saw Yohan Cabaye in the France Under-19s, I saw Tiote playing for Roda, before he went to FC Twente.

"We followed these players, they've been on the radar for a long time."