Robert gone.

Craig

Just been confirmed on SSN that he has signed for Benfica on a 3½ year contract. Can we now please dispense with the ridiculous notion of some that he'll ever play for Newcastle United again?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any mention of how much cash we've got for the lazy French layabout?

74027[/snapback]

Fuck all, he's gone on a free, hence my comment on £10m down the toilet.

74027[/snapback]

74031[/snapback]

Bought when the market was too high and wouldn't have got anywhere near that when he was "good", let alone now.

You can argue about loss of worth to the squad (and we have) but monetary arguments are pointless imo.

Waste of a talent imo. Obviously a skillfull player, shame he can't be arsed to use it most of the time. He'll fit right in with the Portuguese mañana-mañana attitude, a league even Souness can manage a successful team in. :)

74027[/snapback]

74031[/snapback]

Bought when the market was too high and wouldn't have got anywhere near that when he was "good", let alone now.

You can argue about loss of worth to the squad (and we have) but monetary arguments are pointless imo.

74034[/snapback]

Maybe so, but its still a criminal to have seen zero return on that kind of money.

Just been confirmed on SSN that he has signed for Benfica on a 3½ year contract. Can we now please dispense with the ridiculous notion of some that he'll ever play for Newcastle United again?

74025[/snapback]

Was this ever really mentioned by some?

I'm actually glad that he is gone. But I stand by what I have said in the past. He had his faults but was made a cheap scapegoat by some, most notably by the incompetent manager.

But just for Gemmill I'm making sure that I flick through the Portuguese newspapers occasionally and post his latest rants... :)

Cue the Robert fans, having denied that him going to Portsmouth was any reflection on how good he was, turning up and telling us that him signing for Benfica proves that he's great. :)

74032[/snapback]

cue the Souness fans, telling us that the changes Souness has made to the club, and the fortune he's spent doing it, have left us "better off"

Cue the Robert fans, having denied that him going to Portsmouth was any reflection on how good he was, turning up and telling us that him signing for Benfica proves that he's great. ;)

74032[/snapback]

Well, I'll watch his CL games now as there are - thanks to the Scottish tosser - hardly any Newcastle games in midweek... :)

74027[/snapback]

74031[/snapback]

74034[/snapback]

aye, it's great practice to sign 2 players for 15.5m quid and kick them out for 4m.

Think about it the next time you ask FS to "splash the cash"

74027[/snapback]

74031[/snapback]

74034[/snapback]

Maybe so, but its still a criminal to have seen zero return on that kind of money.

74037[/snapback]

I'm not happy about it - just realistic - you could mention several other examples in the past under all managers.

I don't agree with LM's opinion that Souness "cost us millions" on Robert and Bellamy - they went for what they were worth in the market though I accept at their best they were worth a lot to us in squad terms.

74027[/snapback]

74031[/snapback]

74034[/snapback]

74037[/snapback]

I'm not happy about it - just realistic - you could mention several other examples in the past under all managers.

I don't agree with LM's opinion that Souness "cost us millions" on Robert and Bellamy - they went for what they were worth in the market though I accept at their best they were worth a lot to us in squad terms.

74048[/snapback]

bollocks, Bellamy is worth twice that at least - if you disagree look at boumsong and Luque - the truth is Souness behaved like a complete amateur and is responsible for the price we got for both of them

Furthermore, if you disagree about Bellamys worth, look at our performances without him [ i presume you are a match goer]

Waste of a talent imo. Obviously a skillfull player, shame he can't be arsed to use it most of the time. He'll fit right in with the Portuguese mañana-mañana attitude, a league even Souness can manage a successful team in.  :)

74036[/snapback]

Ahem, a leaugue Souness managed to win fuck all in actually.

Anyway, if you took the goal/assist - money ratio of Robert it might not be too bad compared to some other players, even without getting a return amount for him, I would imagine. And as NJS says, he was bought in a time of inflated transfer fees - Carl Cort anyone?

bollocks, Bellamy is worth twice that at least - if you disagree look at boumsong and Luque - the truth is Souness behaved like a complete amateur and is responsible for the price we got for both of them

Furthermore, if you disagree about Bellamys worth, look at our performances without him [ i presume you are a match goer]

74055[/snapback]

As I said he was "worth more" to us but as has been said before if he was such a world beater he would have went to a better club for more money.

To think we'd have got any money for Robert is also naive. Oh Yes Marseille want him don't they (again).

Out of interest, what do people think would have been a good price for Robert, given his current contract situation?  I reckon we've missed out on 500-750k at best tbh.

74050[/snapback]

That would still be daylight robbery. Robert's value to Newcastle was 0 quid. I don't think we were paying him wages anymore and the only options would have been letting him rot at Pompey or letting him go elsewhere for nothing. I don't think any club would have been prepared to pay a transfer fee after all the garbage that was surrounding him.

For the "loss" we made out of him. We paid over the top for him when we were in desperate need for a left winger and had just missed out by being messed around by Zenden. He was much of an inprovement to the likes of Glass we had seen before and I think by taking us into the CL and helping to lift Newcastle out of mediocrity Robert was worth the money.

Edited by Isegrim

I see you didn't get a stress ball for xmas then?

74059[/snapback]

Sorry SLP, but I hate this ridiculous notion that Souness "won something everywhere he has been". This doesn't apply to you in the slightest, but some people actually believe that line! I believe the Benfica fans were less than happy with wor Graeme like, I hope the twat never manages another team, unless it's the mackems of course.

I see you didn't get a stress ball for xmas then?

74059[/snapback]

Sorry SLP, but I hate this ridiculous notion that Souness "won something everywhere he has been". This doesn't apply to you in the slightest, but some people actually believe that line! I believe the Benfica fans were less than happy with wor Graeme like, I hope the twat never manages another team, unless it's the mackems of course.

74062[/snapback]

He's won something everywhere he's been given time :)