Whats the priority now?

Grimbo

Where do we most need to strengthen?  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We should stregthen the defence, we've got next to no cover at rightback, Ramage is a centre half who is doing his best to deputise, Carr seems to have upset that nice Mr Souness.

In the absence of players we should be improving the coaching, I blame the staff perhaps more than the players.

Yes we've lost alot of players and with the loss of Owen our attack looks weakened.

However, our defence is the laughing stock of the league... as it has been before... it needs sorting.

New manager, new defence bar Given.

74066[/snapback]

We've been tinkering with the defence for years to no avail.

Shearer, Ameobi, Chopra, Luque (????).

Hmmm, without a striker being bought in I think we may get relegated. :)

74066[/snapback]

Hmmm, without a striker being bought in I think we may get relegated. :)

74067[/snapback]

We will get relegated if continue to concede goals. You've always got a chance to score but if you defence is so abysmal you may need 2 or 3 goals to draw or win which isn't something we could manage even if we bought Anelka and Nihat.

74066[/snapback]

Hmmm, without a striker being bought in I think we may get relegated. ;)

74067[/snapback]

We will get relegated if continue to concede goals. You've always got a chance to score but if you defence is so abysmal you may need 2 or 3 goals to draw or win which isn't something we could manage even if we bought Anelka and Nihat.

74070[/snapback]

emmm what was the score on Monday again?

:)

Defense.  It has always been defense.  Lots spent on quality in the midfield and forwards...but nothing worth talking about in the back line.  If it wasn't for Shay, we would be getting a pasting in most games played!

74167[/snapback]

We've spent a lot on the defence as well to be fair.....

There's no time for a new defence to gel, I think we should try and get someone who can score the odd goal, which we simply don't have without Owen.

Defense.  It has always been defense.  Lots spent on quality in the midfield and forwards...but nothing worth talking about in the back line.  If it wasn't for Shay, we would be getting a pasting in most games played!

74167[/snapback]

We've spent a lot on the defence as well to be fair.....

There's no time for a new defence to gel, I think we should try and get someone who can score the odd goal, which we simply don't have without Owen.

74200[/snapback]

Bramble and Boumsong at £5million and £8million respectively, shite but dear.

Defence is the priority of the three positions mentioned IMO. At least when they're all available, we have some good quality in midfield and attack - the defence is crap full stop.

I hope Newcastle take a leaf out of Chelsea's book of signing players. They can easily afford everybody but signing Maniche on a loan deal. So if there aren't enough transfer funds available or Fat Fred doesn't want to give the tosser any more money then we should at least try to agree similar deals.

I'm personally of the opinion that we need some players who know how to keep possesion of the ball, rather than give it away every time. That alone would ease pressure on the defence. If we could keep the ball up the park for any length of time the defence would have more time to regroup. Also having some semblence of tictacs would help. Comparing the group of players we can put out with any of the teams alongside us gives the impression that if drilled correctly they should be a helluvalot better than what they are.

I'm personally of the opinion that we need some players who know how to keep possesion of the ball, rather than give it away every time.  That alone would ease pressure on the defence.  If we could keep the ball up the park for any length of time the defence would have more time to regroup.  Also having some semblence of tictacs would help.  Comparing the group of players we can put out with any of the teams alongside us gives the impression that if drilled correctly they should be a helluvalot better than what they are.

74484[/snapback]

The defence are primarily responsible for the ball coming straight back to them because of the crap long balls they keep pumping up the pitch. It's as if they've never met the midfield half the time. Tiggy on high with a football tbh.

The defence are primarily responsible for the ball coming straight back to them because of the crap long balls they keep pumping up the pitch.  It's as if they've never met the midfield half the time.  Tiggy on high with a football tbh.

74485[/snapback]

Agreed... I get frustrated with the way we can't keep posession for more than 10 seconds without giving the ball away with some ridiculously overoptimistic or just piss poor pass!

The defence are primarily responsible for the ball coming straight back to them because of the crap long balls they keep pumping up the pitch.  It's as if they've never met the midfield half the time.  Tiggy on high with a football tbh.

74485[/snapback]

Agreed... I get frustrated with the way we can't keep posession for more than 10 seconds without giving the ball away with some ridiculously overoptimistic or just piss poor pass!

74487[/snapback]

The lack of movement, especially upfront hardly helps out the defence.

74485[/snapback]

74487[/snapback]

74488[/snapback]

Exactly, Bramble's balls used to be something of an attacking threat when you had someone running into spaces, launching a quick counter.

I'm personally of the opinion that we need some players who know how to keep possesion of the ball, rather than give it away every time.  That alone would ease pressure on the defence.  If we could keep the ball up the park for any length of time the defence would have more time to regroup.  Also having some semblence of tictacs would help.  Comparing the group of players we can put out with any of the teams alongside us gives the impression that if drilled correctly they should be a helluvalot better than what they are.

74484[/snapback]

The defence are primarily responsible for the ball coming straight back to them because of the crap long balls they keep pumping up the pitch. It's as if they've never met the midfield half the time. Tiggy on high with a football tbh.

74485[/snapback]

That's something I blame both Robson and Souness for. Especially Bramble is terrible (though I don't know what happened if Bramble tried more short passes on the ground :lol: ). Under Robson I thought it was down to a holding midfielder missing who would work as the link between defence and midfield and taking the ball forward. But neither Butt nor Parker have been able to do that. Souness comes always up that the team has to stick together and be united. I would be more than happy if the team for the first time for ages would work as a unit, i.e. being able to pass the ball to each other by giving the one with the ball options. So even when not signing anybody the playing style should be addressed immidiately.

74485[/snapback]

74487[/snapback]

74488[/snapback]

Exactly, Bramble's balls used to be something of an attacking threat when you had someone running into spaces, launching a quick counter.

74492[/snapback]

We need B B B B (can't bring myself to say his name) back :lol: