Relegation

Gemmill

Seems to be the new buzz word on here at the minute. Who is genuinely, seriously of the opinion that we are in any danger of relegation this season? Not just in a Dad's Army "We're doooooomed", something-to-finish-my-post-off with way, but a real genuine belief that we stand a greater than 50% chance of being relegated.

I'll stick my neck out and say we'll stop up this season. No bother.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems to be the new buzz word on here at the minute.  Who is genuinely, seriously of the opinion that we are in any danger of relegation this season?  Not just in a Dad's Army "We're doooooomed", something-to-finish-my-post-off with way, but a real genuine belief that we stand a greater than 50% chance of being relegated.

I'll stick my neck out and say we'll stop up this season.  No bother.

74068[/snapback]

As I said in the other thread I am anxious. I think our chances of dropping further down into the bottom 6 of the table are much higher than closing the gap to the top 6 places.

We haven't won a single game this season because we were the better team. The wins against Blackburn, West Ham etc. were flattering. Even when playing against the mackems we looked over large parts as the inferior football team.

I just point to the stats of how many points we have won without Owen. In 10 games we got just 6 Points, only winning against the by far worst team of the league (and as I said even that one was lucky). In 7 of these games we even failed to score. With Parker now another important player is missing.

I know I am sometimes overpessimistic but ignoring the obvious and doing lalaing by thinking Newcastle would be "too good" to go down this season would be criminal IMHO.

Seems to be the new buzz word on here at the minute.  Who is genuinely, seriously of the opinion that we are in any danger of relegation this season?  Not just in a Dad's Army "We're doooooomed", something-to-finish-my-post-off with way, but a real genuine belief that we stand a greater than 50% chance of being relegated.

74068[/snapback]

oh dear, this is where we are for backing Souness

Before Owen's injury I'd agree with you. The facts are;

1) we're playing shite.

2) our defence is all to pot with the only decent CH this season out for a canny while.

3) our midfield is depleted with the only consistent 100% now out for a couple of months.

4) we're playing shite.

5) Shearer, Ameobi, and Luque are struggling to score and Chopra is...well...Chopra.

6) we're playing shite.

I'm more in favour of us staying up, but only due to the fact we're surrounded by some shite, but to be honest it wouldn't totally surprise me if we're there abouts near the end of the season.

74068[/snapback]

As I said in the other thread I am anxious. I think our chances of dropping further down into the bottom 6 of the table are much higher than closing the gap to the top 6 places.

We haven't won a single game this season because we were the better team. The wins against Blackburn, West Ham etc. were flattering. Even when playing against the mackems we looked over large parts as the inferior football team.

I just point to the stats of how many points we have won without Owen. In 10 games we got just 6 Points, only winning against the by far worst team of the league (and as I said even that one was lucky). In 7 of these games we even failed to score. With Parker now another important player is missing.

I know I am sometimes overpessimistic but ignoring the obvious and doing lalaing by thinking Newcastle would be "too good" to go down this season would be criminal IMHO.

74088[/snapback]

Points taken, but........

Greater than 50% chance? Yes or no? :)

74068[/snapback]

74088[/snapback]

Points taken, but........

Greater than 50% chance? Yes or no? :)

74092[/snapback]

If you give me the formula to convert my angst into a percentage I will answer that one. ;)

The football we have had to endure over the last 18 months or so has certainly turned me into a glass half empty person.

I think the key thing will be getting Parker and Emre back in the team and Owen to perhaps score some goals at the very end of the season.

But, i am genuinely worried.

Yes stats can be made to sound how you want them to, but the one of only 6 points gained in the 10 matches Owen has missed is very worrying. That along with the appalling football we play i honestly cant say from match to match where the points are coming from.

I look at the fixture list and i see no easy games at all, we all know we roll over and die when playing the big team (recent performance against Arsenal aside) and when it comes to playing the "smaller teams" who are wanting to battle away from being involved in the relegation dogfight themselves i fail to see us grind out battling performances with the current squad along, as we have seen in the run we had not so long ago where most were convinced we would got beat by Wigan, drew with Pompey etc.

Whilst its obvious that Sunderland are down i dont see any other two teams as being stick ons to go down and whilst that remains i am worried...

74068[/snapback]

74090[/snapback]

Shepherds the only important person to have backed him.

74068[/snapback]

74090[/snapback]

Shepherds the only important person to have backed him.

74103[/snapback]

In Leazes Mag's world, it's ALL my fault. That way he doesn't have to hold Shepherd responsible in any way.

It's got to be unlikely, with only two more spots to fill, we've got to able to hold off West Brom, Birmingham, Portsmouth (whether or not there's 100 mill to spend there), and Boro and Everton are going to have improve a lot.

Stranger things have happened though

We're too good to go down.  :)

How many times have I heard that one before?

74106[/snapback]

Our results without Souness' get out of jail card doesn't inspire much confidence..

as expected there are some with rose tinted specs ©

We have 10 home games left - if we draw 8 and win 2 that gives us 40 points - and I think that will be fine this season......................

74107[/snapback]

Try 14 :razz:

74135[/snapback]

Haven't we already got some points? :)

74136[/snapback]

I edited ;)

We have 10 home games left - if we draw 8 and win 2 that gives us 40 points - and I think that will be fine this season......................

74107[/snapback]

Try 14 :gay:

74135[/snapback]

Haven't we already got some points? :)

74136[/snapback]

I edited ;)

74138[/snapback]

Hope you don't expect me to? :razz: