Relegation

Gemmill

I made a mistake between signature and profile.  I feel so foolish.  Brilliant site though - I would LOVE the link.

80024[/snapback]

Bloody hell! Gemmill admitting he made a mistake, quite unique.

By the way, it's a shit website. Never believed it to be anything else.

80027[/snapback]

Something's either unique or it isn't, it can't be quite unique ;)

80039[/snapback]

I stand corrected. Unique will do. ;)

80041[/snapback]

Well, strictly it means one of a kind but many people apply it to mean unusual.

80045[/snapback]

It is unusual for me to make a mistake like, so I'll let him off with his.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't be bothered to find the exact posts Gemmill, but you said several times I was mad, or words to that effect, when I suggested relegation was a possibility in the summer. And this was before we signed Owen (who no-one believed we would get) - without the points we have got from him I would say relegation would be almost a certainty, wouldn't you?

I know you will probably answer this with some smart arse reply to divert attention from it, but unfortunately I was right it seems, so maybe I'm not as mad as you like to make out.  ;)

79623[/snapback]

Renton, you know as well as I do that the "Renton is mental" thing was a running joke, and I only used to say it because it used to get on your tits so badly. So don't even try that one. ;)

79785[/snapback]

I know it's a running joke Gemmill, but nevertheless it seems that my pessimism was well grounded in reality. Without the signing of Owen, we would have been in the same situation as Sunderland right now, which is frankly unbelievable really. The ironic thing is I think that despite being branded an unrealistic pessimist, I never thought things could get this bad (after our spending spree). Looks like Wullie was right all along!

79800[/snapback]

:rolleyes:

:(

Weren't you 'devastated' we signed Owen though Wullie?

80173[/snapback]

;)

Actually, aye, I remember that. But I'm beginning to think (like Wullie) the money could have been more wisely spent on several players myself, to strengthen the squad. I was always worried about Owen's injury record and that seems to be have justified unfortunately.

If Owen leaves in the summer, which I think he will do depending on who we get as manager, I reckon Owen's goals will have cost nearly a million each. Value for money or what?

80173[/snapback]

And I stand by it, because now we are fucked without him, which was always going to happen. Papering over massive cracks was all it was and it was only a matter of time for it all to go pear shaped. Surely you agree that money would and should have been much better spent elsewhere?

Edited by Wullie

80173[/snapback]

And I stand by it, because now we are fucked without him, which was always going to happen. Papering over massive cracks was all it was and it was only a matter of time for it all to go pear shaped. Surely you agree that money would and should have been much better spent elsewhere?

80181[/snapback]

It's a good point, the money from both Owen and Luque could have brought in 5 or even 6 decent players instead of 2. One of whom hardly plays and the other looks disinterested.

If the fool hadn't discarded good players as well he could be half a dozen PL standard players better off right now.

80173[/snapback]

80181[/snapback]

With hindsight perhaps but who could have known Owen would have such a serious injury? Fair enough, he's injury prone but in general he's just missed the odd games here and there with muscular problems during his career. In my view, Owen is exactly the type of player we should be buying, i.e. guarenteed class, rather than pissing £5millios here and there on the likes of Milner (who is an ok player to be fair). Since we signed Shearer we haven't gone for the world class players enough, it's been a case of too many players in the £5-10million bracket who are not good enough for what we want to achieve, i.e. silverware.

Edited by alex

80173[/snapback]

80181[/snapback]

With hindsight perhaps but who could have known Owen would have such a serious injury? Fair enough, he's injury prone but in general he's just missed the odd games here and there with muscular problems during his career. In my view, Owen is exactly the type of player we should be buying, i.e. guarenteed class, rather than pissing £5millios here and there on the likes of Milner (who is an ok player to be fair). Since we signed Shearer we haven't gone for the world class players enough, it's been a case of too many players in the £5-10million bracket who are good enough for what we want to achieve, i.e. silverware.

80191[/snapback]

Some of us didn't need to use hindsight. ;)

Shearer was certainly in that bracket, but he was brought in to improve a side that was already an excellent one. Owen simply turns a bad side into an average one and the problems from last season were still all too apparent.

I've no problem with buying top class players, but only if we can afford it - i.e. buying them into a good side. Chelsea and Man Utd do it, because they're both loaded for different reasons. Others, and I include us in that, have to manage their money much more wisely. If we had £75m drop into our kitty tomorrow, it could help to build a formidable squad - or it could buy Ronaldinho on his own. Which would be the better option?

Plenty NUFC fans laughed because Liverpool didn't want to spend a ridiculous amount on Owen and ended up with Cisse, Morientes and Crouch as their strikeforce, while we pinched Owen. Who's laughing now? - and it's not just the injury to Owen that's changed that.

80173[/snapback]

80181[/snapback]

With hindsight perhaps but who could have known Owen would have such a serious injury? Fair enough, he's injury prone but in general he's just missed the odd games here and there with muscular problems during his career. In my view, Owen is exactly the type of player we should be buying, i.e. guarenteed class, rather than pissing £5millios here and there on the likes of Milner (who is an ok player to be fair). Since we signed Shearer we haven't gone for the world class players enough, it's been a case of too many players in the £5-10million bracket who are not good enough for what we want to achieve, i.e. silverware.

80191[/snapback]

Alex -

I think you'd be right under normal circumstances. However, Souness put the club in the position of needing too many players.

Wullie mate, we've spent as much as anyone in recent years. The money on Bramble, Boumsong, Viana, Carr, Butt, Milner, Cort, Bassedas, etc., etc., etc. could have been much better spent. I'd take Owen's signing over any of them any day. Plus, buying Owen wasn't necessarily the problem but selling several players for a pittance and reducing an already small squad was, in my opinion.

Alex -

I think you'd be right under normal circumstances. However, Souness put the club in the position of needing too many players.

80199[/snapback]

See above mate, more or less saying the same thing.

Wullie mate, we've spent as much as anyone in recent years. The money on Bramble, Boumsong, Viana, Carr, Butt, Milner, Cort, Bassedas, etc., etc., etc. could have been much better spent. I'd take Owen's signing over any of them any day. Plus, buying Owen wasn't necessarily the problem but selling several players for a pittance and reducing an already small squad was, in my opinion.

80200[/snapback]

It goes hand in hand, Alex. Having decided to discard so many players it would have made more sense to buy a few players rather than one. It's called a plan, mate. Souness doesn't have one either on or off the field it seems.

80200[/snapback]

It goes hand in hand, Alex. Having decided to discard so many players it would have made more sense to buy a few players rather than one. It's called a plan, mate. Souness doesn't have one either on or off the field it seems.

80202[/snapback]

I agree there, the fucker's clueless ;)

80200[/snapback]

Well, that's true, I think we'd all agree with that.

80173[/snapback]

80181[/snapback]

Fair point if you add Luque to the equation.

Sum total = 25.5m quid on 2 players, one who is hurt a lot the other a huge risk and in my opinion is a waste of money.

2 buys made to cover up Souness incompetence. It is quite right to suggest that this money should have been spent to build on the strength already at the club, not to attempt to replace it.

I applauded Owen when we bought him too, on face value as a footballer, but it seems like Wullie was right....owen at about 12-13m would have been a better deal [as Shearers replacement] and the rest to buy players of quality where we needed them the most, towards building/freshening up a decent team that was already there.

I would always (and still do) back the signing of Owen, if you can get a player of that standard you do it.

However, it should have been done by the new maanger who had taken over from the sacked Fuckwitt Souness at the start of this season as Fat Fred had finally woken up and kicked the bastard out on his arse.

Imagine starting this season with a good manager, some signings, less players kicked out the squad needlessley and then adding Owen to a team already going well and building on it.