Weird Stuff We Say

Christmas Tree

Struck me tonight how we all have some strange and unusual phrases that we unintentionally use without thinking. I guess a lot are just passed down from older relatives.

Examples:

I quite often say Hells Teeth. I know I got this from my old man but have no idea what it means.

I also found myself lowering myself into a hot bath saying "gosh gosh gosh gosh" (at the hot temperature Fist before you get any ideas). WTF Gosh :lol:

Anyone else have any?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mother in law has a couple of poultry-themed sayings which I've never heard anyone else use.

" White hen's chick never lays away from home" which she uses in he context of 'butter wouldn't melt' and

" A hen could eat oats through it" if she sees a 'strumpet' wearing something flimsy or revealing.

She has never kept chickens, and is certifiably insane.

:lol:

Wheres the mother in law from Fist?...we used to say "as scarce as hens teeth"....

If I was at my folks for more than 2 days the Kielder one may creep back into my vocabulary...."tomorrow morning" is often expressed as "the morn's morn'" by us hillbilly folk.

She's from Walker mate.

Hen's teeth I've heard before.

When I was a chef we'd always get the new lads to put in an order from the butcher for prime chicken lips ;)

You Border folk have some strange ones, along with a " quaint" accent, although I'd guess it's one of the few dialects where Old English sayings and phrases can still be heard.

Still a bunch of sheep fiends mind :lol:

Often say 'haad yer passion' (Hold your passion) in situations when you are in the company of an irritatingly more enthusiastic person than you about something or other. Dunno how common it is with everyone else but I don't hear it that much outside the family - Got it off my fatha' .

I've been pulled up for using "netty" more than once....wiki has this to say...v interesting, for me and Jaw D anyway...

The Geordie word netty,[61] meaning a toilet and place of need and necessity for relief[61][62][63] or bathroom,[61][62][63] has an uncertain origin,[64] though some have theorised that it may come from slang used by Roman soldiers on Hadrian's Wall,[65] which may have later become gabinetti in the Romanic Italian language[65] (such as in the Westoe Netty, the subject of a famous painting from Bob Olley[65][66]). However gabbinetto is the Modern Italian diminutive of gabbia, which actually derives from the Latin cavea ("hollow", "cavity", "enclosure"), the root of the loanwords that became the Modern English cave,[1] cage,[2] and gaol.[3] Thus, another explanation would be that it comes from a Modern Romanic Italian form of the word gabinetti,[64] though only a relatively small number of Italians have migrated to the North of England, mostly during the 19th century.[67]

My 92-year-old grandmother from Berwick says, "He/she went up in a blue light and came down in a pink one."

Another fun game to play is UK words that mean something else in US english. The three I get pulled up on most often are lush, canny, and tramp. Lush means an alcoholic over here, canny means cunning but in a mean-spirited way, and tramp means a slut, almost exclusively female (the homeless are called bums over here, or hobos.)

You can play the game backwards too, "fanny" being the most egregious offender.