Weird Stuff We Say

Christmas Tree

I've been pulled up for using "netty" more than once....wiki has this to say...v interesting, for me and Jaw D anyway...

The Geordie word netty,[61] meaning a toilet and place of need and necessity for relief[61][62][63] or bathroom,[61][62][63] has an uncertain origin,[64] though some have theorised that it may come from slang used by Roman soldiers on Hadrian's Wall,[65] which may have later become gabinetti in the Romanic Italian language[65] (such as in the Westoe Netty, the subject of a famous painting from Bob Olley[65][66]). However gabbinetto is the Modern Italian diminutive of gabbia, which actually derives from the Latin cavea ("hollow", "cavity", "enclosure"), the root of the loanwords that became the Modern English cave,[1] cage,[2] and gaol.[3] Thus, another explanation would be that it comes from a Modern Romanic Italian form of the word gabinetti,[64] though only a relatively small number of Italians have migrated to the North of England, mostly during the 19th century.[67]

There are a few local dialect world I use day to day that when talking to some people it just goes right over their head. One that springs to mind Im sometimes picked up on is the phrase "you'll get wrong/wrang" or "that'll learn ya"

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was in Leeds the locals would say "while" instead of "(un)til). So a typical office type would work "Nine while five". Baffling. I also got called Love by blokes while in Leeds, which is odd.

My mam used to say, when asked what's for dinner, "A run round the table and a kick of the cat". Every time my dad raises a toast he uses "Heres to us, was like us, guy few and they're al' deed" (imagine it in a Scottish brogue). I'm pretty sure the "guy few" means "there's few of them"

Lass I know ends every phone conversation with "ok love you bye bye bye bye bye bye" until she fades out or hangs up... but she's a bit dim.

Some people nod their head or use something else to signal interest when someone else is talking, one of my sister says "I know". Probably the most infuriating thing about her. Chez could be telling her about a macro-econimic position he put across to some French film star on the banks of Lake Como and she'd be saying I know as if she'd been there done that. And she buys shit presents...

Being from Philadelphia, we say a few things that I don't hear in any other part of the country, let alone the world. Jawn (pronounced like the name John) can mean just about anything or anyone. If you like somebody's shoes, you could say "those jawns are nice," or if you're having trouble with something you could say "this jawn is pissing me off." If you're talking about a girl, it becomes jawnpiece or jawnski. We also refer to older people as oldheads, and if we're going to the beach, we say we're going down the shore (even though the Atlantic is geographically east from us). The evolution of language has always fascinated me, because with the exception of oldhead I can't figure out the roots of any of those phrases, even though I use them all the time.

Oh yeah "wee"

Everything over here is fcking wee, wee car , wee fella, wee grande coffee

We have "yon" over here as well, aye yon motor over there is nice etc

Never heard anyone over there say 'yon' but I've heard 'och away' as in 'you're joking' or 'never in the world' or 'yer man' many, many times. Maybe more from the older generation, most of the older relatives I had have now passed on and they always spoke like that.

"I couldn't give a flying fuck"

Erm well yeah I would probably be more surprised if you could.

"Go boil your head"

Why boil, and why my head?

"Go fuck yourself"

Can you show me a diagram of how to do this please?

Never heard anyone over there say 'yon' but I've heard 'och away' as in 'you're joking' or 'never in the world' or 'yer man' many, many times. Maybe more from the older generation, most of the older relatives I had have now passed on and they always spoke like that.

:lol:

theres folk my age I know use "ower thonder" to mean "over there", or "thonder its" for "its over there"....a lot of thats dying out though. The kids on the Scottish side sound like theyre from Edinburgh nowadays, coming out with "Aye, ah pure went tae the pub eeehh?" sort of bollocks. When I was at school it was the same words on both sides of the border spoke with diifferent accents, but the shared "language" of the border seems to be sadly dying out, and it was a lot closer to Geordie than how they talk in Glasgow for instance.

I did wonder about the netty / gabinetti thing when I found out that was the Italian word for it, but I couldn't see how it would end up being NE slang.

When I was in Leeds the locals would say "while" instead of "(un)til). So a typical office type would work "Nine while five". Baffling. I also got called Love by blokes while in Leeds, which is odd.

:lol: So true. My eldest brother says Love all the time.

Oh yeah "wee"

Everything over here is fcking wee, wee car , wee fella, wee grande coffee

We have "yon" over here as well, aye yon motor over there is nice etc

I quite like that, although it's a bit strange at first. Also, sticking "so it/he/she/you is/are" on the end of sentences takes a bit of getting used to.

There was a lad from Fermanagh I knew who used to say "Good luck" the way you'd say "Good night" or "See you later". Not sure if that's common over your way.

Just come back off the ship and was chatting to one of the sparks on there, not sure what part but he's from Newcastle....we were talking about one of the other sparks when he uttered the immortal line.... "that cunts fuckin radged" :lol: My mate from Rotherham was listening to us and had to ask what it meant :lol:

Maybe this was just in my house, but as a kid, if I ever asked my mam where something was, a toy I couldn't find for example, her reply was usually 'up me arse!'

When I was growing up in County Durham it was always 'up me arse 2nd shelf on the left'.

I still say it now much to the confussion of my wife