The absolute very best song writers

ajax_andy

Who are the very best song writers ever and why? I'm not looking for things like Pete Doherty who despite me loving his work before he totally disappeared in to a bloated drugged up mess isn't a 'true great'.

The 2 that have the most impact on me are:

Kurt Cobain (Nirvana)

Thom Yorke (Radiohead)

Mainly because I'm a miserable fucker and like depressing music lol

In all honesty though both have / do combine a real raw and fragile emotion in their songs, along with them being a bit odd lyrically.

I know Nirvana don't get a lot of love from many people, but for me Kurt Cobain was and is my favourite and something just resonates with me when ever I listen to Nirvana's music (not all of it, as with all bands some of it is just utter crap).

So who sits at the very top of your list of song writers that when you listen to their music or read their lyrics it has a real impact on you?

Nirvana - Polly wants a cacker, whats not to love :lol:

Two solid choices though.

I know many take them both as self indulgent but for me Id say Roger Waters and Dave Gilmour. Love listening to their lyrics.

Added to that you would have to include Dylan, Lennon & Kate Bush who all stand out.

So who sits at the very top of your list of song writers that when you listen to their music or read their lyrics it has a real impact on you?

Tom Waits is the daddy. But John Darnielle (Mountain Goats) runs him close.

Matt Johnson is probably the most underrated songwriting artist this country has produced iyam.

Had never really investigated The The, other than his/their occasional forays into chartland back when I was a TOTP aficionado. Gave "Dusk" a Spotify spin last night and I'll definitely be back for more.

I was into The the when I was a kid but kinda drifted away from them. Just remember one of their albums with a big mashed up face on it.

Nobody can possibly match Lennon/McCartney and Elton John/Bernie Taupin.

Edit.

would be interesting to see how close Holland-Dozier-Holland get to those.

Edited by LeazesMag

Nobody can possibly match Lennon/McCartney and Elton John/Bernie Taupin.

Edit.

would be interesting to see how close Holland-Dozier-Holland get to those.

John and Taupin made me spend a good portion of my youth trying to find a pub called the skinners arms. Cunts.

John and Taupin made me spend a good portion of my youth trying to find a pub called the skinners arms. Cunts.

haha, did you get home from Grimsby OK

Paul Simon and Carole King were two other brilliant writers from the 60s. I think Alex Chilton was writing some of the best music of the 1970s but it's been released so poorly that it's hard to get a complete grasp on it all. From the past 20 years, Elliott Smith was superb, Jeff Buckley was on his way to being an artist whose career would have spanned genres, James Mercer, PJ Harvey and Ryan Adams (at least for his first 3 albums) are all good writers.