Official Olympics 2012 Thread

catmag

Didnt Daley get on a podium somewhere with "Carl Lewis is the worlds second greatest athelete" emblazoned on his t shirt? :lol:

I think he only wore it to press conferences and the like. The slogan was "Is the world's second greatest athlete gay?", which he got slammed for in some quarters, but I reckon it was a canny take on how wound up the Americans were getting about Lewis's perceived sexuality combined with a brilliant bit of typically Daley self-aggrandisement. :D

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got tickets for some of the football at SJP, including one of the womens games which I applied for in a moment of madness! I'm quite looking forward to the whole thing though, I've not been arsed about the torch relay and all that but I do love watching athletics and will also be interested in the football and basketball.

My mate's working down there and says the opening ceremony is incredible.

Do the GB Mens football team play today?

On another note...not Olympics but someone on my FB just mentioned this..

Newcastle under 17s are playing in the milk cup in nothern ireland against a under 17s Deportivo of brazil . its live on tv 972 BBC2 Northern Ireland starts 19-00 until 22-00. hours

Do the GB Mens football team play today?

On another note...not Olympics but someone on my FB just mentioned this..

Newcastle under 17s are playing in the milk cup in nothern ireland against a under 17s Deportivo of brazil . its live on tv 972 BBC2 Northern Ireland starts 19-00 until 22-00. hours

Kick off 8pm at Old Trafford. There's a game at 5pm too but it's not Team Geeb.

He lit some cauldron or other yesterday (Thompson). Him or Redgrave would get my vote.

Was watching one of those 50 greatest moments type shows about the Olympics the other day. Anyway Daley Thompson comes up on it and they had Iwan Thomas talking about how he used to just do as he pleased (the whistling and his patter etc). He reckons he's been to a few black tie events with UK Athletics and Thompson just rocks up in a tracksuit cos nobody tells Daley Thompson what to wear. :lol:

I think I know and YOU know that this was on the One Show the other week (nowt to be ashamed of G)

He's a cool bloke like, aged bloody well too. It was when they were measuring out his longjump and highjump achievements that it really brought home what a phenomenal athlete he was/is ! WenNot only was he amazing at hopping, skipping and jumping he went on toplay for Mansfield I'm sure ! He would've won a third gold if his pole hadn't have snapped in the polevault too.

SUPER DALEY !

Like you say, as a process of ilimination Redgrave would be a welcome choice. Don't think Foy has half the 'public love'. There was talk of Wiggins getting a look in but Im not sure that will happen. Whatever goes down it's going to have to go some (and then some more) to stand up against Ali in '94. Easily brings a tear to this day.

Canny football today. Honduras/Morocco was a good game and Japan have just beat Spain. Top marks to the Spanish for lumping their tall centre half up front and then launching balls at him. Even more top marks to the Japanese striker who saw this and just mooched for the last 5 minutes.

Bookies have stopped taking bets on Roger Bannister lighting the cauldron tomorrow night. Close to Coe's heart with it being middle distance, so could be true.

Never won an Olympic medal, but a fitting choice imo.

Well I'm on a train that's just left Stratford after going for a couple of pints after work and its very civilised - last day for a while I suppose.

Whereas I was out on Brick Lane tonight and it was entirely uncivilised, but that was mostly the Fish's fault.

Bookies have stopped taking bets on Roger Bannister lighting the cauldron tomorrow night. Close to Coe's heart with it being middle distance, so could be true.

Never won an Olympic medal, but a fitting choice imo.

Aye they just said on the radio....well deserved, he ran in the Hlesinki Olympics in 1952 and broke the 4 minute barrier for the mile a couple of years later. Then he knocked it all on the head and started a career as a neurologist which it looks like he excelled at too:

On the 50th anniversary of running the sub-4-minute mile, Bannister was interviewed by the BBC's sports correspondent Rob Bonnet. At the conclusion of the interview, Bannister was asked whether he looked back on the sub-4-minute mile as the most important achievement of his life. Bannister replied to the effect that no, he rather saw his subsequent forty years of practising as a neurologist and some of the new procedures he introduced as being more significant. His major contribution in academic medicine was in the field of autonomic failure, an area of neurology focusing on illnesses characterised by certain automatic responses of the nervous system (for example, elevated heart rate when standing up) not occurring.

And it avoids Daley and Steve Redgrave squaring up to each other in the bar afterwards if one or the other had been asked to do it ;)

I'm really quite excited about this Olympic malarkey. Typically though, I'm working tonight so sod's law says I won't get to see the opening ceremony.