Official Olympics 2012 Thread

catmag

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The start was fucking bizzarre. When the industrial revolution came IMO thats when it started to get good.

The show was amazing, some weird parts, the music stuff with the guys texting, WTF was that about, in general it was amazing though and the fireworks was wow. Then a fantastic touch with the torch.

Then spoilt by a greedy bin dipping twat. Do us a favour, retire McCartney and take that big chinned twat Forsyth with you.

That was the digital age, kids and their technology. I quite enjoyed it. I thought for a split second when the sex pistols came on it was God save the Queen!

It was fabulous, Danny Boyle will probably end up "Sir Daniel" after that. All those involved should feel very proud.

Anyone know roughly what time the cycling road race is slated to finish? Starts at 10, 150 miles....got to go out later, but am hoping to make it back to see the end.

By the time we got in the athletes had just started. Stopped up with my little 8 year old who was very excited to see Team GB.

Thought it all looked fabulous, however I think they should have left Mohamed Ali alone and more so Paul fuck off you twat Mcartney.

Can't wait to watch the earlier stuff.

As an Aussie with a decent working knowledge of the UK (as many Aussies do, plus I lived in Newcastle up until I was 5 years of age ... actually, that's a long time ago), I understood any and all 'quirks' (not that there were any, really) and thought it was a terrific ceremony.

Far, far more personal than the macro-view of the Beijing Olympics.

Also, the flame is fantastic ... as was the acknowledgement of the NHS.

Also, might I add, your fair isle has created a shit load of absolutely cracking music and films (loved the shots of A Matter of Life and Death and Kes).

Edited by dbsweeney

I was gonna say like, when you hear all those songs played, it's crazy how much brilliant music has come from Britain. Soundtracking the thing must have been an absolute pleasure - harder to decide what to leave out I would imagine.

I would have sooner seen the Stones finish it off rather than McCartney like. Jagger singing Brown Sugar to all the Jamaican lasses would have been mint. But seriously though, McCartney provided a really poor ending to the thing. The nice thing is though I feel like he's everyone's embarrassment these days, rather than just ours. :lol:

The New York Times said: "With its hilariously quirky Olympic opening ceremony, a wild jumble of the celebratory and the fanciful; the conventional and the eccentric; and the frankly off-the-wall, Britain presented itself to the world Friday night as something it has often struggled to express even to itself: a nation secure in its own post-empire identity, whatever that actually is."

The Washington Post stated: "If the opening ceremonies of the London Games sometimes seemed like the world's biggest inside joke, the message from Britain resonated loud and clear: We may not always be your cup of tea, but you know - and so often love -our culture nonetheless."

For the Sydney Morning Herald it was "an unforgettable start".

"Boyle's vivid and vibrant pageant set the tone for these Games and perhaps even a new direction for the Olympic movement. Rio has a hard act to follow, which won't deter it at all," it said.

The Times of India called the ceremony "dazzling".

It said: "London presented a vibrant picture of Great Britain's rich heritage and culture as a colourful opening ceremony marked the inauguration of the 30th Olympic Games."

"Kaleidoscopic pageant sets London Games rolling," said the China Daily.

"Britain's Queen Elizabeth declared the London Olympics open after playing a cameo role in a dizzying ceremony designed to highlight the grandeur and eccentricities of the nation that invented modern sport," it said.

You gotta think that'll be McCartney's last big outing ... he was terrible.

And I'm an ENOURMOUS Beatles fan.

Hard to think though who else could be used (apart from the Stones or a patch-worked Queen) with the same broad familiarity to several generations and is 'inoffensive'.

I didn't even mind Mcartney tbh. He seems to be the designated fall guy for the folks who wanted to do their usual 'I'm cool so I'm going to critique the shit out of this and be all witty about how crap it is' but couldn't because, actually, everyone really enjoyed the ceremony . There were a couple of people doing it in here before the tide changed, fickle bastards :lol:

Fact is he got 80'000 people singing their lungs out and he's one of the last living members of the biggest bands the world has ever seen. If we can't be proud of the Beatles what can we be proud of. The who doing Baba O'Riley would have been a good alternative but I'm not sure even Danny Boyle could have gotten away with putting a paedo on stage!

Edited by J69

I didn't even mind Mcartney tbh. He seems to be the designated fall guy for the folks who wanted to do their usual 'I'm cool so I'm going to critique the shit out of this and be all witty about how crap it is' but couldn't because, actually, everyone really enjoyed the ceremony . There were a couple of people doing it in here before the tide changed, fickle bastards :lol:

Fact is he got 80'000 people singing their lungs out and he's one of the last living members of the biggest bands the world has ever seen. If we can't be proud of the Beatles what can we be proud of. The who doing Baba O'Riley would have been a good alternative but I'm not sure even Danny Boyle could have gotten away with putting a paedo on stage!

Here we go. :lol:

The opening ceremony was amazing.

McCartney was awful.

Can you differentiate between the two ffs.

I was out so didn't see any of the opening ceremony. Sounds like it was impressive though. I'm not sure I'll bother now as the moment has passed.

So far this morning I've caught some basketball, badminton and rowing. Love just browsing through sports I don't normally bother with.

Hard to think though who else could be used (apart from the Stones or a patch-worked Queen) with the same broad familiarity to several generations and is 'inoffensive'.

It's eventually going to end up being Coldplay. <_<

In your opinion. In mine it was good.

Aye but you wade in accusing people of changing their tune on here to try and look cool, and it's bollocks. Everyone on here last night was going "wow this is amazing" and then cringed when McCartney came on.

Your assessment is that people were trying to look cool by saying he was shit then changed their tune. Total bollocks. You have this thing about people trying to look cool.

I suppose the middle aged lass on the checkout in Sainsburys was trying to be cool when she asked me if I'd seen how awful McCartney was last night?

I went to Dicksons for a bacon sarnie on the way home from work this morning and the bloke behind the counter said exactly the same thing. "Wasn't it fantastic? Well, until McCartney came on that is..."

I'll catch this on iplayer how far into it does this stuff happen anyway everytime I flicked over it was the countries doing a lap

Watch the 9pm programme from the beginning. When the teams start to come out forward it for about an hour and a half then watch the end bit.