Oliver really twisting the knife...

Craig

Freddy Shepherd was weighing up his options today as the clamour from Newcastle United supporters for him to sack Graeme Souness reached a crescendo.

Despite a feeling in the game that he is a dead man walking, Souness is hanging on at St James' Park by a thread.

There was talk among the North-East media last night that Souness had already gone and there was another report today that he will be sacked in the next 72 hours.

Shepherd will not sack Souness at the moment, but the United chairman has questions for his beleaguered manager - and Souness has to come up with the right answers.

In my opinion, only two things are saving Souness from the axe.

First, after handing over £50m to Souness and seeing what a mess United are in, Shepherd could be excused for not wanting to put £3m into the Scot's bank account by sacking him and paying up his contract.

Second, there is no obvious replacement, although on this score things would change in the summer.

Shepherd has a reputation as being the most ruthless of all the Premiership chairmen. However, while some pundits seem to think Shepherd sacks his managers willy-nilly, this is not the case.

In fact, in his time as chairman, Shepherd has seen Kenny Dalglish and Ruud Gullit walk away from St James' Park, and the only manager he has sacked was Sir Bobby Robson.

One thing is certain - Shepherd will do what he considers best for Newcastle United. And he will act if he feels he has to.

Shepherd was spotted at Kingston Park last night as United Reserves beat Wolves 2-1. But neither Souness, nor his back-up team of Alan Murray, Terry McDermott, Dean Saunders and Roy Tunks were spotted, although Academy Director Glenn Roeder and his assistant Kenny Wharton were there.

Whatever may have been said about Sir Bobby Robson and John Carver, they hardly ever missed a reserve game at Kingston Park.

United are desperately short of numbers for Saturday's FA Cup third-round tie with Mansfield Town, and last night would have been the perfect opportunity to have a look at the likes of young midfielder Mattie Pattison.

United also need to clear up the situation with right-back Stephen Carr, who has not played since the derby victory over Sunderland at St James' Park on October 23.

The Chronicle revealed on Monday that Souness had been involved in a bust-up with Carr before United left for Saturday's game with the defender's former club Spurs.

However, in a press conference for the written media, Souness said that while there was supposed to have been a bust-up with Carr, he was not involved - contrary to what eye witnesses have told the Chronicle.

We have also heard that United physios Derek Wright and Paul Ferris were dragged into the argument.

Couple of things I don't agree with, namely:

1. I'd consider Doug Ellis to be a far more ruthless chairman

2. No matter how many times he bangs on about him resigning, Dalglish WAS sacked!

I'm fucking astounded that none fo the coaching team were at Kingston Park though. Even if the squad was at full strength, there should always be one member of the team there if not for anything else, to pass judgement on whether anyone is ready for promotion to the first team.

So where was Souness, Saunders, Murray, etc?? Off out on a jolly no doubt - either that or busy fucking dreaming of the next wad of our cash they can spend! :)

Please, please fuck off and leave this club alone....

Out of every poster on this board, and NO, you've turned around the most.

I salute you ;)

PS: Souness out.

74403[/snapback]

Remembering that I was arguing with him about his senseless posts the days before the Wigan game...

Now, Gemmill come over from the dark side, you know the force is with you... :)

I've just walked past Alan Oliver.. put me off my lunch tbh. ;)

74507[/snapback]

To be honest, it would probably have made me peckish for a Salami Pizza.

74527[/snapback]

Why like, do you want his cock? ;):lol:

I've just walked past Alan Oliver.. put me off my lunch tbh. ;)

74507[/snapback]

To be honest, it would probably have made me peckish for a Salami Pizza.

74527[/snapback]

Why like, do you want his cock? ;):lol:

74533[/snapback]

Tsk...I'm a pitcher not a catcher.

I salute you ;)

74403[/snapback]

:lol:

I was never actually backing the bloke, I just maintained that I think he needed time to prove himself - and the Wigan result was the final straw.

I couldn't give a shit if we won the FA Cup, I'd still want him replaced.

I salute you ;)

74403[/snapback]

:lol:

I was never actually backing the bloke, I just maintained that I think he needed time to prove himself - and the Wigan result was the final straw.

I couldn't give a shit if we won the FA Cup, I'd still want him replaced.

74647[/snapback]

An chance you could make your New Year resolution to avoid posting drivel like this

I mean that it wouldn't change my opinion of the man...

Of course I want us to win the cup - please don't take my comment out of context.

Of course I want us to win the cup - please don't take my comment out of context.

74661[/snapback]

Nearly matches the old one from Skol : "I want Coventry to beat us" :lol:

74661[/snapback]

Nearly matches the old one from Skol : "I want Coventry to beat us" :lol:

74666[/snapback]

shameful tbh

74668[/snapback]

Agreed, and he got plenty of stick for it back then.

I actually think what Craig said is worse.

74676[/snapback]

We were playing Coventry in the cup though, so isn't it the same? :lol:

74677[/snapback]

I only said it cos I thought it might wind him up and make him squeal. ;)

74661[/snapback]

Nearly matches the old one from Skol : "I want Coventry to beat us" ;)

74666[/snapback]

shameful tbh

74668[/snapback]

74675[/snapback]

74676[/snapback]

Take your empty hook back lads - I'm not biting.... ;)

And you all knew what I meant you pedantic tossports! :lol:

74661[/snapback]

Nearly matches the old one from Skol : "I want Coventry to beat us" ;)

74666[/snapback]

shameful tbh

74668[/snapback]

74675[/snapback]

74676[/snapback]

Take your empty hook back lads - I'm not biting.... ;)

And you all knew what I meant you pedantic tossports! :lol:

74733[/snapback]

not biting - but wriggling