Newcastle United v Tottenham Hotspur

Christmas Tree

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought overall we played pretty crap today so even more pleased with the result.

Balti pies were tremendous.

Perch started where he left off and nice to have Staylor back. (Loved his ground header).

Also liked the look of Anita when he came on.

Shaky first half which is natural as Spurs came to exploit us with bale and Lennon but we did really well second half in the main.

Jonas and Ben Arfa were outstanding for us.

All in all it was a great result and a great start to the season.

My evaluation is thus.

Krul: Didn't look as commanding as we know he can be and looked a bit shaky for some reason. 6

Taylor: Looked commanding and did his job well in the main and was a constant voice marshalling the defence. 7

Perch: Overall I though he did a very good job at centre back and seems to get more confident in every game he plays and is assured on the ball, plus put some good tackles in. 7

Simpson: Walking a tightrope early on and was having a lot of trouble with Bales pace. His forward play isn't the best but he stuck to his guns defensively but I did worry about a second yellow. 6

Santon: Defensively he also stuck to his task and also got forward well and looks assured on the ball for most part. He will get better and better without a doubt.7

Cabaye: Wasn't at his influential best but still got stuck in. 6

Tiote: His break up play and his never say die attitude is always there, he did try to do a bit too much at times and also lacked concentration in the pass but overall, he battled which is what we needed and was desperate to stay on the pitch. 6

Ben Arfa: In this mood he is going to cause any team serious problems. He was clever on the ball, always willing to take players on and also offering himself in positions all over, plus his defensive work was great.... Great penalty both getting it and taking it. 9

Jonas: This lad has some engine on him and his defensive work as well as his willingness to run at and take players on is brilliant and as we can see, he's never afraid to forage ahead and take a shot either. 9

Ba: Excellent goal and always willing to chase down balls as well as dragging players away allowing others to get into space. It will have done his confidence the world of good. 8

Cisse: For once, the limelight was taken from him. Always looking to get into positions but not getting too much job. Looked a bit subdued to be honest but will destroy a team very soon I think. 6

Anita: Showed a few glimpses of what he's all about and once up to speed with the team I think we have a great player on our hands. He's also no slouch either. 6

Obertan: For some reason he looked terrified. He had a few opportunities to run with the ball but gave it to a team mate like it was a hot potato. He needs to get his confidence together and show what he has because we have a big season ahead with potentially a lot of games. 5

To be fair to Obertan he came on to see the game out and did just that, when he did have the chance to run at them he preferred to slow the game down and make sure we retained possession.

They got Cabaye banned last year and they had a special look, 5 times, at Pardew pushing the linesman too with lots of speculation on how long his ban will be

:lol: He pushed an official and got sent to the stand for it, did you expect them to ignore it? There was nothing excessive about their coverage.

To be fair i thought Spurs were the better side for alot of the game, but that is worth nothing compared to who takes their chances. Ben Arfa was class throughout and also put in a hell of a shift in terms of effort and he's had no pre-season to speak of. Jonas worked his arse off and even without the goal i thought Ba had put in some effort, but the rest of them at times looked a bit sluggish and the passing was pretty bad, particularly Tiote, but they stuck at it and won, that's the sign of a good team.

Thought Taylor looked impressive coming back from a serious injury and Anita after his early touch gave the ball away looked very good and i can see what Pardew means about him being something between Tiote and Cabaye.

Aye, I definitely deeked that like.

He seems to have games/spells where he covers every blade of grass, gets stuck in and plays really well except his passing goes to shit. Today with his passing miles off and Cabaye struggling we were losing the midfield battle, but we still won, so when those two start firing we will be looking good!

Watch it on motd would you, and then explain the defensive positioning of standing behind an opposition opponent and marking their back.

he should've either been goalside of that lad, or dropped back and marked the midget, where he was was in between the two doing nothing

and santon who got his head to it?

it was defoe, he's small black and wearing purple as opposed to the tall white lad in black and white, he heads it at krul who saves and then gets on the rebound..

that mong perch stands with his arm in the air after realising he was out of position

http://www.soccer-blogger.com/2012/08/18/newcastle-vs-tottenham-2-1-highlights-2012-ba-defoe-ben-arfa-goals-video/

1:10, Perch is having to try to mark 3 people and Defoe can only get a glance on it, and it is Santon that heads it towards goal.

It's one thing being wrong about something which you may have not had a great view of, it's another being a bit of an arrogant prick about it tbh Ant.

Let's face it, if that was Colo instead of Perch your first post wouldn't have existed.

Defoe was offside anyway so it shouldn't have counted.

Tottenham were the better team in the first half but once we changed to the 433 and got the goal we looked a shitload better.

FWIW, I think Perch played very well. For the goal someone needed to get out to Lennon to stop the cross coming in. He was allowed too much space. Perch had three men to mark and Santon should have been tighter on his man at the back post. But like I said it was offside so the point is mute. It shouldn't have counted.

Tiote struggled in the first half. He couldn't play a pass to save his life. But in saying that he looked alot better in the second half once we changed to 433 and he had Jonas closer to him to provide an option. In the first half he was isolated and was forced to play the ball long too often which isn't his game.

Overall great second half performance and we deserved to win. Tottenham were good but we were the better team. I think any team that comes to SJP this season are going to have to play very well to beat us.

Defoe definitely gets his head to it before Santon. In real time, at the match, I thought Santon had got there, but Defoe flicks it first.

The biggest problem with the goal stemmed from the space we left on the right. Simpson should have dropped in the assist Perch and Taylor, where they were outnumbered, leaving HBA to cover their winger. Unfortunately, Simpson hung around in no man's land and HBA was still a bit further forward. He made up for it by getting a penalty, so I'll forgive him for that.

I remember tiote struggling in possession at the start of last season as well. I think he just needs a few games to get his touch back

Not fully fit though either is he. Great tackle by him at the start of the game though.

Yeah Demba seemed really tired and miserable in his post-match interview but he grinned and his eyes lit up when the interviewer mentioned Ramadan and Demba started talking abut being able to eat what he wants.

"when" he wants surely?