Rising stars

JawD

Just wondering who we will see more of next season. I think more now than ever in the Premiership years we seem to be pulling talent through the ranks. While I have said a few times that I thought we needed several new players to both strengthen the team and replace those on their way out, it seems that while we will bring new faces in, strength will also come from within with younger players playing a more prominent role.

This isnt a bad thing. Some may say that not signing a player (center half for example) shows a lack of foresight and a lack of ambition but at he same time the younger players need to be allowed to flourish and learn. I certainly expect to see more of Sammy Ameobi who has looked pretty good in pre-season. But then also we know little yet of the likes of Curtis Good who looks like joining us. Abeid has had some canny moments pre season and Tavernier as well. Bigi has been getting all the plaudits though and it seems certain he will get a run out at times and Ive not even thought of Amilfitano. No doubt there are others than spring to mind.

Hopefully they will be mixed in a couple at a time though and we dont try to win the League Cup or Europa with these players only.

you win nowt with kids ;)

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sammi looks like he's matured a lot the few times I've seen him.

I havent really seem him this pre season but does he not fit into the Obertan, Jonas (old attacking) headless chicken scenario?

Or has he managed to bring it all together this summer?

Surely we have the best crop of real young talent we have ever had?

Has to be among it aye, I cant think when so many seemed to be pushing for a first team slot. Mind, we have invested more in youngsters now. Its playing the long game but thats right up Ashleys street.

Theres not many 18 year olds break through nowadays but they seem to rate Adam Campbell highly and apparently manu are amongst some other clubs who sent scouts to Northern Ireland to watch him last week. Is his record any better than Chopra's at the same age though?....

Theres not many 18 year olds break through nowadays but they seem to rate Adam Campbell highly and apparently manu are amongst some other clubs who sent scouts to Northern Ireland to watch him last week. Is his record any better than Chopra's at the same age though?....

Not sure he's an out and out striker, is he? Like you say though, plenty players have looked good at that level but fail to do anything later on. Campbell got player of the tournament at the Milk Cup though and has wom the same young player award that Xavi received at his age so could very well be the business.

Agree on Bigi. Playing so many competitive games probably helps.

I watched the Milk Cup final last week. Campbell barely got a kick as the Brazilians were excellent. He looked ok when he did get on the ball.

Not sure of his age but they all reckon Remi Streete is brilliant and not far away.

Out injured for a couple of months still (after a long term injury) which is a shame since he might have had a chance of a few runs out in the friendlies. Whether he'll get a chance to get elevated into the first team squad when the competitive games start without ever getting tested in friendlies remains to be seen. I was actually talking to the scout that got him in here in the first place and he reckons he's definitely the real deal like. Says Manu were very interested in him so we had to offer him a professional deal early.

Campbell and Streete are apparently the highest rated amongst the current crop coming through. Both are at an age now where they should be getting some minutes in the earlier rounds of the League Cup at least.

Surely we have the best crop of real young talent we have ever had?

I don't know about ever, but in the early nineties we had Clark, Watson, Elliott, Howey, Thompson, Alan Neilson, Matty Appleby, David Roache all come through about the same time (with a number of them going on to play for England or the U21's).

I think the current lot would do well to emulate them.

You can only really talk about those who've already pushed into the first team and pitted their wits against the best. I think Fergie and Sameobi are the standouts for me. Sammy I can see getting a lot of games this season and he looks very promising. Do we not think Fergie might benefit from a spell in the Championship?

You can only really talk about those who've already pushed into the first team and pitted their wits against the best. I think Fergie and Sameobi are the standouts for me. Sammy I can see getting a lot of games this season and he looks very promising. Do we not think Fergie might benefit from a spell in the Championship?

I think you're right. Bigi while raw looks like he has the confidence from playing a good number of games for Coventry last season. I thik Vukic is another one who needs to go out on loan if he's ever going to contribute.

If we didnt have Europe I would agree, but I think he will get plenty of game time in that competition.

Aye, we're fighting on four fronts this year (if we manage to have a decent run in the domestic cups obviously) and the kids will play a role in that. I actually think we'll see Ferguson and Sammy used off the bench a lot as impact players, along with Big Head, French Bread. That's quite a bit of pace for sides to cope with late on.

Guest CabayeAye

Sammy - awesome, needs playing more

Tav - get him out in the cups

Vuckic - shite

Fergy - shite

Abeid - unknown

Gosling - shite

Bigi - looks good

Amal - looks good

Marv - looks good

Others - not ready yet

Sammy - awesome, needs playing more