Moon Landings

Christmas Tree

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was either write that or watch the Liverpool Hearts game on TV. I stand by my decision.

You appear to know a lot about this stuff, so I'd be interested to know a bit more.

We are all Nuclear ready for armageddon, type of thing, with Nuclear missiles in silos ready for the ultimate strike.

How long can these weapons hold Nuclear material that's decaying before they have to be took out and how do they manage to keep them inside silos without giving off radiation that kills anyone that's on maintenance?

Let's all have a little sportsmans bet on what N.A.S.A will come up with, with this super curiosity (bullshit) rover.

I'm gonna go for them showing us pictures of possibly small skeleton remains of some creature.

Naah, let's make it for money. Big money.

If people want to bet with you for money, I suppose it would make it interesting. My Giro won't stretch that far so I'll stick to just guessing what bullshit N.A.S.A come out with. :scratchchin: Edited by wolfy

If people want to bet with you for money, I suppose it would make it interesting. My Giro won't stretch that far so I'll stick to just guessing what bullshit N.A.S.A come out with. :scratchchin:

Just kidding. I don't think they'll even find a fossilised microbe. What time limit do you want to set?

Just kidding. I don't think they'll even find a fossilised microbe. What time limit do you want to set?

Well I know they're itching to drop something on us, so I'm gonna go for 1 month or less for us to be hit with something magical.

My guess is some kind of rigged up skeleton creature but equally it could be:

1. A structure, which could equate to a pyramid or some base e.t.c.

2. a Martian craft.

3. A Martian carving, probably in stone.

4. A lake.

5. Snow.

6.A caravan site, ( highly implausible)

7.Actual live Martians but placid non destructive ones, which would account for why they didn't leave the other landers as burned out shells or stood on bricks.

8. Mental Martians, that we will see attack the Curiosity, which will send tweets back shouting, "HELP ME, HELP ME, SEND REINFORCEMENTS QUICKLY" , Before a Martian shouts, " SEE WHAT YOU GET EARTHLINGS, YOU SEE WHAT YOU GET WHEN YOU MESS WITH THE MARTIANS"....this is doubtful but N.A.S.A egg head possible as they already know we swallow any old bullshit.

Anyway feel free to add your own but I'll stick with the initial skeleton find to whet our appetites for the bigger stuff later. :icon_lol:

Well one thing's for sure in my mind. They haven't started this Mars hoax for nothing.

Years ago when they hoaxed the other Mars rovers, it was just a taster to show us how clever they were. Now they are using this Curiosity to show us that Mars has life.

A few skeletal remains and a few hundred kilometres worth of solar panel sun travel across the stony planet will reveal a Martian base with Martians revving up their space ships ready for an assault on Earth to bring us our Curiosity rover back with the message, " if we ever catch you hoying rovers onto this planet again, we will burst it, now play in your own garden."

Edited by wolfy

You appear to know a lot about this stuff, so I'd be interested to know a bit more.

We are all Nuclear ready for armageddon, type of thing, with Nuclear missiles in silos ready for the ultimate strike.

How long can these weapons hold Nuclear material that's decaying before they have to be took out and how do they manage to keep them inside silos without giving off radiation that kills anyone that's on maintenance?

The UK has no silos, all our nuclear bombs are mounted on trident missiles and launched from submarines (whilst underwater) (you can watch a launch of one here

). At about 1 minute in you see the missile silos on the submarine. This was done to ensure 'second strike' capability and was arguably the thing that stopped any nuclear wars from starting. As the first thing you target in a nuclear attack is the other sides nuclear silos, but if the silo is hidden underwater and could be anywhere you can't hit it. Only the UK, Russia, USA and France have this capability.

The materials that typically make one up are a fission trigger (either uranium 235 or plutonium 239) then a 'gas boost' which is provided by fusing deuterium, tritium or lithium 6. Out of these only uranium, plutonium and tritium are radioactive. Plutonium and uranium are long half life alpha emitters so as long as you dont eat them they are harmless. Alpha radiation cannot penetrate a single sheet of paper so the maintainers are safe. Tritium is a very very weak Beta emitter and the energy given off cannot penetrate human skin.

The tritium needs replaced quite regularly as its only got a half life of about 12 years, the plutonium half life of 24,200 years so is good for ages and the uranium is good for about 700million years. I did some sums on the uranium and for 100kg of it you will get about 1 decay every 5 seconds. So in short the bombs aren't very active until they get set off. They just sit there fat dumb and happy until its detonated.

Dangerous levels Radiation is only really given off by things with short half lifes that have strong gamma rays. Alpha and Beta are only dangerous if they get inside you. The biggest worries in the nuclear industry are Cs137 and Co60.

Ok Rikko:

Rikko, you know when the subs launch these trident missiles? Are they launched in the upright position and if so... how long are these trident missiles compared to the hull of the submarine.

Plus! are they launched by compressed air until they fly out of the water?

Edited by wolfy

Ok Rikko:

Rikko, you know when the subs launch these trident missiles? Are they launched in the upright position and if so... how long are these trident missiles compared to the hull of the submarine.

Plus! are they launched by compressed air until they fly out of the water?

Upright position. They are about 10m tall and 3m wide, they take up most of the height of the submarine. They are launched in a compressed gas bubble, then when they reach the surface of the water the rocket engine fires.