Euthanasia / Mercy Killings

Christmas Tree

This afternoon I have been in absolute agony with dental pain. As a 46 year old I have had my fair share of it, so when I say it was agony, it was agony.

Anyway, I'm wandering around the house wanting the pain to end and I was consoling myself that at least this will pass.

I then started thinking about the poor folk with terminal illness who are not so lucky and realise that their pain will only get worse.

Personally I would like to think that I could check out at the relevant moment either by my own hand or with the help of a loved one. I would also like to think that if someone I loved was suffering I would help them.

I appreciate it's probably never quite as straightforward but I hope I would have the courage to help.

What do others think?

(I'll also add that if this is too close to home for someone and they would rather it wasn't discussed then feel free to ask a mod to delete it).

Euthanasia should be compulsory for those on benefits.

So, if a person get's laid off from work, he gives up his life the minute he signs on, or is there a time limit on how long you can sign on for.

For the record. Any person who is of sane mind, who is terminally ill, I think they should be allowed to end their life as long as someone is there medical wise to record their request.

Just simply making it legal to allow a family member or friend to do it, could create a situation where people are being murdered by a family member or friend with a grudge and made out to be a mercy killing.

Guest CabayeAye

So, if a person get's laid off from work, he gives up his life the minute he signs on, or is there a time limit on how long you can sign on for.

The minute pen touches paper in the job centre, you get a boltgun in the head.

Guest CabayeAye

It's a win-win policy. The national deficit gets reduced due to lower benefits payments and I don't have to see chav wankers wasting my tax money on espadrilles and tattoos.

There is no down side to this policy. The human cost is nil, because the unemployed are subhuman, and therefore completely expendable.

For the record. Any person who is of sane mind, who is terminally ill, I think they should be allowed to end their life as long as someone is there medical wise to record their request.

Just simply making it legal to allow a family member or friend to do it, could create a situation where people are being murdered by a family member or friend with a grudge and made out to be a mercy killing.

Aye you should be allowed to check out and also help a loved one check out. Somehow a legal solution should be found.

Im sure relatives were always taken care of in bygone days before the state got involved in every aspect of life. Of course there needs to be some safeguards.

Shocking that we put animals out of their misery but not our fellow humans.

Guest CabayeAye

Things a bit dull round yours tonight Cabaye?.....

No. Kids are in bed, gonna play a bit of bass then go to bed.

From my personal experience I'm for it. I spent nearly a week watching my Mam die knowing she had a DNR order and seeing her connected to a morphine feed wondering why we couldn't just turn the dial and help her over the line. My sister and I agreed if either of us were ever in the same situation the other would ship them off to Swizerland but I'm hoping its legal before it applies.

Of course its another thing which is controlled by religion - another reason (if needed) to put that crap behind us.

I think it's a disgrace that a person can't decide when they've had enough. That poor bastard with locked in syndrome - why should he not be allowed to decide that there's nothing left for him to stick around for?

On Friday, we had our beloved, adored 16 year old cat euthanised after we discovered he had an inoperable tumour on his kidney the day before. We had 24 hours to say goodbye, to talk to him, stroke him & prepare ourselves. The vet & a nurse came to our house, put a catheter in t9 his right front leg, then injected an overdose of painkillers. He slipped peacefully away in a matter of minutes. We carried him to their car & he is away for cremation now. He died at home, with dignity.

3 years ago, my dad died in the Freeman of kidney cancer, after an agonising 3 month battle with it that saw him stripped of dignity & hanging on to life via intravenous drips & morphine, while we sat mute & tearful by his bed, all day, every day.

I had never had an opinion on euthanasia until that time; now it is my belief that all humans should have the right to death with dignity.

My cat had it; I wish my father had had the same.

On Friday, we had our beloved, adored 16 year old cat euthanised after we discovered he had an inoperable tumour on his kidney the day before. We had 24 hours to say goodbye, to talk to him, stroke him & prepare ourselves. The vet & a nurse came to our house, put a catheter in t9 his right front leg, then injected an overdose of painkillers. He slipped peacefully away in a matter of minutes. We carried him to their car & he is away for cremation now. He died at home, with dignity.

3 years ago, my dad died in the Freeman of kidney cancer, after an agonising 3 month battle with it that saw him stripped of dignity & hanging on to life via intravenous drips & morphine, while we sat mute & tearful by his bed, all day, every day.

I had never had an opinion on euthanasia until that time; now it is my belief that all humans should have the right to death with dignity.

My cat had it; I wish my father had had the same.

Totally agree.

Guest CabayeAye

Totally agree.

Me too. Better to go and be remembered with dignity than to slip away a sedated, miserable shadow of your former self.

Good episode of Desert Island discs with Baroness Campbell...

She was born with a degenerative condition and her parents were told she would not survive infancy. Now in her mid-fifties and a cross-bench peer, she's spent her adult life campaigning for equality for disabled people and was one of the leading voices behind the Disability Discrimination Act of 1995.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/desert-island-discs/castaway/62afe8d4

During the show she argues against the right....which surprised and interested me.

I've always been in favour of the choice. But made me think.