Foreign managers..

Scottish Mag

Everyone seems to be convinced that our prayers will be answered if the likes of Le Guen, Hitzfield or Hiddink were to take over, but would this be the case?

Yes we cant help to look at your Wenger, Benitez and Mourinho and the jobs they have done at their respective clubs but none of the clubs that they joined were in the mess that we currently find ourselves in. Both Liverpool and Chelsea were in the champions league when the manager took over.

Whilst you can not argue with the success that Le Guen etc have had, compared to that of the British candidates, and that they may bring success in the long term but...

Could it not be a major risk bringing in someone with very little knowledge of the English game when immediate stability is vital?

(discuss)

I'd rather take the risk of bringing in a world class foreign manager, than giving the job to someone who has proved they can't do the job in the English game already.

There isn't a single British manager who gives me any confidence that they could turn the club around, other than possibly Martin O'Neil, and I'm not overly convinced about him either.

...Both Liverpool and Chelsea were in the champions league when the manager took over....

74491[/snapback]

And the managers they succeeded were Houllier and Ranieri, respectively - neither of whom are renowned as being english.

I may be over simplifying things, but a looking at the best clubs and their manager nationality is as follows:

Chelsea: Foreign

Man U: Not Foreign

Liverpool: Foreign

Spurs: Foreign

Arsenal: Forgein

4 out of the top 5 in premiership are foreign, and they are infact the only non UK+ireland managers in the league.

This may not prove anything other then the top clubs have foreign managers atm, but why did they appoint foriegn ones as opposed to British? Because there were none of sufficient quality available. Its looking the same way for us. There is a risk it may not work (Santini, Perrin, Gullit ) but if we do a bit of research we can find the one best suited to us.

I may be over simplifying things, but a looking at the best clubs and their manager nationality is as follows:

4 out of the top 5 in premiership are foreign, and they are infact the only non UK+ireland managers in the league.

This may not prove anything other then the top clubs have foreign managers atm, but why did they appoint foriegn ones as opposed to British? Because there were none of sufficient quality available. Its looking the same way for us. There is a risk it may not work (Santini, Perrin, Gullit ) but if we do a bit of research we can find the one best suited to us.

74525[/snapback]

And you can bet your mortgage that Man U will be looking abroad too once Ferguson is gone, unless they really go for O'Neill. Now I know we're not Man U, but I'm sure we would be able to attract top-class foreign coaches if the Fat One could be bothered.

And you can bet your mortgage that Man U will be looking abroad too once Ferguson is gone, unless they really go for O'Neill. Now I know we're not Man U, but I'm sure we would be able to attract top-class foreign coaches if the Fat One could be bothered.

74535[/snapback]

His number 2, the guy from Real Madrid who's name escapes me, will take over when Ferguson goes methinks.

74535[/snapback]

His number 2, the guy from Real Madrid who's name escapes me, will take over when Ferguson goes methinks.

74538[/snapback]

I think if he packs it in this summer, I put my money on Hitzfeld who is a very close friend of old whiskeynose.

74535[/snapback]

74538[/snapback]

Carlos Queiroz (sp?), yes. A couple of exiled Man U fans I know actually blame him for their demise though...

74535[/snapback]

74538[/snapback]

Carlos Queiroz (sp?), yes. A couple of exiled Man U fans I know actually blame him for their demise though...

74542[/snapback]

Yeh, theres a few "League match ticket book" holders at man u I know who blamed him for their poor form something to do with him being inept at coaching the players but ok on tactical stuff (I wasnt really listening as they bitch about thier form which compared to ours is spectacular). I would be very suprised to see him take over.

74525[/snapback]

Thats just the problem though. I wonder what the process was for us appointing Souness? No one left and he was only one available? Name out of hat with two names in it, the other turned us down? I shudder to think he was an actual calculated candidate...

74525[/snapback]

Thats just the problem though. I wonder what the process was for us appointing Souness? No one left and he was only one available? Name out of hat with two names in it, the other turned us down? I shudder to think he was an actual calculated candidate...

74565[/snapback]

Souness turned up at SJP with the worlds largest Scotch Pie and traded it to fat fred for the job. True story*. We need to find someone with a good knowledge of foreign football to advise the fat one and for the club to properly sound out the new man before appointing, chances of that happening are about the same as the mackems staying up this season. We'll end up hosting "Premiership Manager Idol" on ITV for our next man as it'll fill the coffers a bit.

*parts of this story are fictional.

74525[/snapback]

74565[/snapback]

shareholder in Pro Active?

There isn't a single British manager who gives me any confidence that they could turn the club around, other than possibly Martin O'Neil, and I'm not overly convinced about him either.

74495[/snapback]

I think Stuart Pearce could. But I don't think we've got a snowball's chance in hell of getting him here...

74495[/snapback]

I think Stuart Pearce could. But I don't think we've got a snowball's chance in hell of getting him here...

74655[/snapback]

He wouldn't be my first choice (no British manager would be), but I could live with Allardyce. Now Bolton play dreadful football, but he seems to be a manager who would change his tactics and game-plans if he had better players at his disposal. I would still prefer someone like Hiddink or Le Guen though.

We could always go for the bloke in my avatar... :lol:

74495[/snapback]

74655[/snapback]

He wouldn't be my first choice (no British manager would be), but I could live with Allardyce. Now Bolton play dreadful football, but he seems to be a manager who would change his tactics and game-plans if he had better players at his disposal. I would still prefer someone like Hiddink or Le Guen though.

We could always go for the bloke in my avatar... :lol:

74667[/snapback]

Heidi's Grandfather?

74495[/snapback]

74655[/snapback]

We could always go for the bloke in my avatar... ;)

74667[/snapback]

Heidi's Grandfather?

74669[/snapback]

:lol:

Deschamp! the guys has played in the premier league so he knows what it is like.

He is a proven manager that has won the french league and taken them to top 3 finishes for the years before. He has taken his team to a champions league final and all on a small budget. He has an eye for spotting a good player and is a proven man manager. Plus he is young and open to contempary ideas.

On big Sam, I agree he would be more than an improvement on the current fuckwit in charge but if he took over you know that he would have Shearer and Clarkie playing another season or two.

Deschamp! the guys has played in the premier league so he knows what it is like.

He is a proven manager that has won the french league and taken them to top 3 finishes for the years before. He has taken his team to a champions league final and all on a small budget. He has an eye for spotting a good player and is a proven man manager. Plus he is young and open to contempary ideas.

On big Sam, I agree he would be more than an improvement on the current fuckwit in charge but if he took over you know that he would have Shearer and Clarkie playing another season or two.

74925[/snapback]

I disagree, I think the last thing he'd have is Shearer around

74925[/snapback]

I disagree, I think the last thing he'd have is Shearer around

74953[/snapback]

Of course he would. Big Sam has based a lot of his success on utilising older players others think are finished and mixing them with young players others don't want. So it will be Shearer and Bowyer leading the way. :lol:

Was it Deschamps who loaned Saviola and Morientes?

If he can attract players like that to Monaco....

74938[/snapback]

to be fair Monacos a bit more attractive than Newcastle :lol:

74952[/snapback]

Wasn't season before last :lol: