Keegan and Liverpool.

Davey Dave

Always wondered why Keegan hasn't associated himself with Liverpool as much as he did with us.

I mean, he won a lot with them and he was well liked, so why doesn't he talk about them as much or be seen around the ground like Dalglish and the like? Is there something behind the scenes I didn't know about?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Always wondered why Keegan hasn't associated himself with Liverpool as much as he did with us.

I mean, he won a lot with them and he was well liked, so why doesn't he talk about them as much or be seen around the ground like Dalglish and the like? Is there something behind the scenes I didn't know about?

Yes...

tumblr_lupzifmXFT1r1onmy.jpg

...Or, you could just not respond at all.

Alreet mate! Just a harmless pop culture reference...

I have no idea, regarding your question. Though I'm curious as well now you've mentioned it. I think Dalglish has been idolised in a way few Liverpool 'legends' have, but what the criteria for that is, I do not know.

Think he just identified more with us because he was basically from the area...KK's dad was from County Durham, and his grandfather was a pit deputy who saved a load of lives in an accident at a pit (might have been near Stanley?) sometime in the early 20th century. Oh and his reputation was annhilated on Merseyside when he left for Hamburg in 1977, that might have had some bearing on it ;)

Edited by PaddockLad

Guest CabayeAye

Might be something to do with the fact he is adored by the Geordies. I'd much rather associate with the Toon than that horrible, racist, murdering, self-pitying, thieving, chavvy cunt-fest on Merseyside.

Might be something to do with the fact he is adored by the Geordies. I'd much rather associate with the Toon than that horrible, racist, murdering, self-pitying, thieving, chavvy cunt-fest on Merseyside.

not a fan then? :lol:

why are you tarring an entire city with an outdated and blatantly unfair stereotype?....

Even when he played for Liverpool he used to say Newcastle had the best fans in football, after the 1974 Cup Final apparently he was nearly reduced to tears by our support and graciousness. I think once you've played for Newcastle too the club touches you like no other club can, in terms of the emotional attachment, and obviously he as much as anyone found that.

The fact his fatha was a massive toon fan from Consett way will also have had a big impact on him without a doubt. The attraction of Newcastle for him as a player combined with all of that, must've been the potential of the club, which has always been as great as any other in this country over 100 years, sadly we nearly got there with him as manager but not quite, and we sit sadly in a place of maybe 6th or 7th biggest club now, with Man Utd and Arsenal by far the two biggest clubs, the only way we can properly bridge the gap long term is by being given the artificial investment of Man City, Chelsea or Liverpool. It could happen though, Villa haven't got it, Everton would need a new stadium, and a new fanbase completely, we'd be next in line if any rich Arabs come around again I'd imagine.

He was class Keegan as a player, maybe like Shearer in that he utilised every ounce of his ability, I think Liverpool fans voted him 8th or 9th in their greatest ever player awards, and the bloke who got interviewed said a lot of Liverpool fans resent the fact his true love is Newcastle, and if it wasn't he'd have been even higher.

Guest CabayeAye

not a fan then? :lol:

why are you tarring an entire city with an outdated and blatantly unfair stereotype?....

Have you ever been there?! Completely justified in what I say.

Have you ever been there?! Completely justified in what I say.

No worse or better than a dozen other places I've experience of....the boarded up houses on the way in remind of the motorway going into Glasgow...nothing new under the sun iyam..

Edited by PaddockLad

No worse or better than a dozen other places I've experience of....the boarded up houses on the way in remind of the motorway going into Glasgow...nothing new under the sun iyam..

It's a shithole on another level Liverpool, been there so many times, Newcastle is nothing like it at all. Awful place, reeks of desperation and depression.

Dalglish is why he isn't as revered.

He left them to go to Hamburg, told them he'd be going as he fancied it out there and he was pretty clued up financially as well and ahead of his time, Dalglish came in and they didn't really miss him so maybe it's a psychological 'who cares about Keegan?' from the scousers?

I know it used to really get under Man City fans skin when KK would talk about us all the time whilst managing them and there's maybe that as well.

I read Bob Paisley's bit in 'Auf Wiedersehen Kev' where he said he knew KK's dad or granda in the North-East as that's where Paisley was also from and KK's granda would sing the Blaydon Races to him as a kid etc so it's no real surprise he felt an affinity with NUFC before he played then factor in his time here from '82 onwards. There just isn't the same attachment to and from Liverpool although to be fair I've never heard anything but the utmost respect from him to them and he adored Shankly.

Edited by Howmanheyman

It's a shithole on another level Liverpool, been there so many times, Newcastle is nothing like it at all. Awful place, reeks of desperation and depression.

Yeah, a lot of the north is the same though. Newcastle is an exception, but its not great in parts. Same as anywhere else. I've worked at the car plant at Halewood on Merseyside on numerous occasions and stayed in the city whilst doing so and found it to be ok, much the same as any other former major industrial city,The most depressing place I've worked in is inner city London. I felt completly alienated there. Glasgow is deeply upsetting in parts too. Leeds/Bradford, Sheffield, Manchester (where half my family are from) could all be termed "shitholes" if you choose to look down your nose at everything in life, but its Liverpool that gets singled out. Are you Boris Johnson in disguise? :razz:

Yeah, a lot of the north is the same though. Newcastle is an exception, but its not great in parts. Same as anywhere else. I've worked at the car plant at Halewood on Merseyside on numerous occasions and stayed in the city whilst doing so and found it to be ok, much the same as any other former major industrial city,The most depressing place I've worked in is inner city London. I felt completly alienated there. Glasgow is deeply upsetting in parts too. Leeds/Bradford, Sheffield, Manchester (where half my family are from) could all be termed "shitholes" if you choose to look down your nose at everything in life, but its Liverpool that gets singled out. Are you Boris Johnson in disguise? :razz:

I know what you mean about feeling alienated in London, and I've got family there! Liverpool centre, isn't THAT bad, it's just the outlying areas, I've NEVER seen anywhere like them to be honest it doesn't matter what way you go to Goodison or Anfield, from the city centre or the motorway, it's just a tragedy and it's no wonder they're insular bitter people having to live there when they've seen other places flourish. I haven't been there since the investment for the culture city thing though.

Dalglish is why he isn't as revered.

He left them to go to Hamburg, told them he'd be going as he fancied it out there and he was pretty clued up financially as well and ahead of his time, Dalglish came in and they didn't really miss him so maybe it's a psychological 'who cares about Keegan?' from the scousers?

I know it used to really get under Man City fans skin when KK would talk about us all the time whilst managing them and there's maybe that as well.

I read Bob Paisley's bit in 'Auf Wiedersehen Kev' where he said he knew KK's dad or granda in the North-East as that's where Paisley was also from and KK's granda would sing the Blaydon Races to him as a kid etc so it's no real surprise he felt an affinity with NUFC before he played then factor in his time here from '82 onwards. There just isn't the same attachment to and from Liverpool although to be fair I've never heard anything but the utmost respect from him to them and he adored Shankly.

Aye he seemed to talk about Shankly more than the supporters or the club itself, Shanks was without doubt the major influence on his career.

I know what you mean about feeling alienated in London, and I've got family there! Liverpool centre, isn't THAT bad, it's just the outlying areas, I've NEVER seen anywhere like them to be honest it doesn't matter what way you go to Goodison or Anfield, from the city centre or the motorway, it's just a tragedy and it's no wonder they're insular bitter people having to live there when they've seen other places flourish. I haven't been there since the investment for the culture city thing though.

Its no different, I think its the Kensigton area you go through on the way to the city centre rather than on the football grounds, its been completley boarded up since before the city of culture thing and was certainly like that in May when we were at Goodison. Thats all down to LFC and the council though. The club started earmarking areas for "redevelopment" around Anfield, and it spread out from there. Fuck knows why they want thier city to appear like that, someone must be on the take for it though.

Its no different, I think its the Kensigton area you go through on the way to the city centre rather than on the football grounds, its been completley boarded up since before the city of culture thing and was certainly like that in May when we were at Goodison. Thats all down to LFC and the council though. The club started earmarking areas for "redevelopment" around Anfield, and it spread out from there. Fuck knows why they want thier city to appear like that, someone must be on the take for it though.

Kensington that's it, awful, last time I was there was early 2008, we lost 3-0 as it goes, and fuck me, you saw burnt out cars, waste land every where, there has to come a time when you stop taking the piss and start feeling sorry for these people.

In 1941 the population of the City of Liverpool was 900,000 today it's a little over 400,000, I doubt there's a city anywhere in the western hemisphere which has seen such desertion. I bet the population of Hiroshima didn't even go down that much, and it's another reason as to why it feels so desperate and desolate.

Kensington that's it, awful, last time I was there was early 2008, we lost 3-0 as it goes, and fuck me, you saw burnt out cars, waste land every where, there has to come a time when you stop taking the piss and start feeling sorry for these people.

In 1941 the population of the City of Liverpool was 900,000 today it's a little over 400,000, I doubt there's a city anywhere in the western hemisphere which has seen such desertion. I bet the population of Hiroshima didn't even go down that much, and it's another reason as to why it feels so desperate and desolate.

:lol:

I am sure the city would have passed on the blitz they had then Stevie man if they had the choice.

:lol:

I am sure the city would have passed on the blitz they had then Stevie man if they had the choice.

Err 500,000 didn't die in the Blitz in Liverpool mate :lol: Anyway the Blitz was all but over by mid 1941.

Edited by McFaul

He got a lot of stick off their fans for leaving as I think they interpreted his desire to play elsewhere as saying he was going to a bigger club.

They love Dalglish more because he bought into the club more the same way Keegan bought into us.

We live in a post-industrial society, that population pattern is the same all over the world. The thing with Liverpool is nothing ever truly replaced the huge labour needs of the docks, so unemployment was higher in the 80s there than anywhere else and that label stuck. When the miners in Durham and Yorkshire were fighting for their futures in 83/84, the scousers had already largely lost theirs.

Bellamy is a Welsh gloryhunter who supported them as a boy. Wouldn't expect Rush and Barnes to favour us over them to be fair.

Terry Mac is a scouser and won the European cup and league with Liverpool but I'd say he's more part of NUFC than LFC.

Which players that have been regular first teamers at Newcastle speak more highly of their other clubs?

I can only think of shitehouses like Barnes and Rush. Maybe Bellamy?

Bellamy purely and simply because he's bitter no other reason, bitter at Souness, bitter at the shit receptions he always receives here. You wouldn't come out with an unnecessary statement like "Newcastle will never win a trophy" or childishly abusing Shearer by text, if you weren't bitter, he'd have gladly stayed here forever and he knows it.

Mark McGhee and Darren Jackson boyhood tims, both played more for Celtic than us, and speak more favourably about us. Apart from Bellamy I can't really think of anyone.