The Olympic Legacy

ChezGiven

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the Olympics were absolutely fucking fantastic and while it's a cliche I think it's true that a lot of young people would have been inspired by what they saw. I know I was by the LA Olympics in '84.

I thought the Olympics were absolutely fucking fantastic and while it's a cliche I think it's true that a lot of young people would have been inspired by what they saw. I know I was by the LA Olympics in '84.

Aye, but that was a different era Alex.

Now the kids have gone back to their Xbox's and have forgotten all about it.

On another note Jess Ennis was at the GP yesterday and she was interviewed on 5Live. She mentioned who won the previous year and then they went, they went back to the studio and some patronising old fucker said "Ooo suprising she knows who won last year" Wanker.

i miss the olympics. it was a golden summer. but sadly, the feel good legacy didn't last long in london. londoners were buzzing for a month but it didn't take much time for the starry-eyed euphoria to subside and the usual cynicism and self-flagellation to make a comeback

Inspiration is an individual thing.

I certainly think the Olympics influenced how we see ourselves as a nation, i dont mean the glory of winning but in the way we organised the games, welcomed people, put on events, supported them, how we cheered, the intense interest in how we were being seen by other nations, the way all of us reacted to the great victories on an emotional and nationalistic level. No one is going to tell you directly what it meant as its quite subtle, everyone forgets about the events or the feeling passes but the event had its impact culturally. I dont doubt for one minute there are kids training hard this week with some sporting ambition driving them on. You'd have to know those people to feel the impact directly though.

• 2 months later...