New fullback needed but right or left?

StellarStripes

Ok so last season we were heavily linked with left backs Cissokho and Pieters. Assuming AP wanted to move Santon to RB.

This summer we have heard nothing about the above and more so linked with RB's in Debuchy, Van Der Wiel and Clyne.

Although i think Debuchy would be an immense signing does everyone think we should be signing a RB? Wouldnt a LB be better for the side? Left footer on the left and a right footer on the right?

Now some may mention Jonas and Ben Arfa playing on opposing flanks to their stronger foot but i think it works better in midfield than in defence.

We should be looking at a LB imho.

Ok so last season we were heavily linked with left backs Cissokho and Pieters. Assuming AP wanted to move Santon to RB.

This summer we have heard nothing about the above and more so linked with RB's in Debuchy, Van Der Wiel and Clyne.

Although i think Debuchy would be an immense signing does everyone think we should be signing a RB? Wouldnt a LB be better for the side? Left footer on the left and a right footer on the right?

Now some may mention Jonas and Ben Arfa playing on opposing flanks to their stronger foot but i think it works better in midfield than in defence.

We should be looking at a LB imho.

It depends on whether you regard Santon as a LB or RB. I trust the regime to be better informed on this matter than us.

I personally doubt we'll ever see the very best of Santon at leftback. There quite simply aren't many top fullbacks in world football who play on the opposite side to their favoured foot (yes we all know about Lahm but he really is an exception and even he looks vunerable defensively at times).

That said, we have seen that he can do a good job for us there and we know that Simpson is a weak link (no he's not shite but it's fair to say he's our least effective member of the starting eleven). Also Debuchy just looks such a good option that it would be really disapointing to miss out on him. If we can't get him, then I'd certainly be interested in seeing a new leftback and swapping Santon over.

I personally doubt we'll ever see the very best of Santon at leftback. There quite simply aren't many top fullbacks in world football who play on the opposite side to their favoured foot (yes we all know about Lahm but he really is an exception and even he looks vunerable defensively at times).

That said, we have seen that he can do a good job for us there and we know that Simpson is a weak link (no he's not shite but it's fair to say he's our least effective member of the starting eleven). Also Debuchy just looks such a good option that it would be really disapointing to miss out on him. If we can't get him, then I'd certainly be interested in seeing a new leftback and swapping Santon over.

Pretty much how i feel too. I think the Debuchy deal is dead in the water. Give that 6mil to PSV for Pieters.

i think having him play LB is better, cutting into the middle of the park when he has gotten forward and letting one rip with the right boot

I know what your saying but i have never seen him shoot when he cuts inside. Im more in favour of a balanced back four.

I think Santon can do a good job for us at left back, though i'm sure we'd see the absolute best from him at right back, but after the saga with Debuchy i still want us to get him, he is exactly what we need in a position where we aren't strong enough, but failing that i'd take signing a quality LB and moving Santon to RB.