The Adam Campbell thread

Monroe Transfer

His attitude at the same age is completely different to Ranger's though.

Although I see your point, I just don't see the point when he does become ready to make him wait, if the manager thinks he is ready at any point this season then put him in.

That was my biggest gripe with Hughton, in the Championship some of the kids weren't really given enough of a chance, even when we were coasting through games he would bring the more experienced players on rather than give some of the youngsters vital experience.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His attitude at the same age is completely different to Ranger's though.

Although I see your point, I just don't see the point when he does become ready to make him wait, if the manager thinks he is ready at any point this season then put him in.

That was my biggest gripe with Hughton, in the Championship some of the kids weren't really given enough of a chance, even when we were coasting through games he would bring the more experienced players on rather than give some of the youngsters vital experience.

I agree if he's good enough etc etc but a few on here have read the odd report of late and think he's ready. A massive jump from where he's at to been in a top 5 prem team.

He is after all only 17 and there are very few players who are ready at 17.

It's all about seeing games out though. You could be 2-0 up and bring on a youngster who makes a mistake and knacks up the entire game. Bring on an experienced head and you see the game out.

The problem is that reserve level is so vastly inferior to the Premiership that it's tricky to make the step up. Maybe we'll see some being given a chance in Europe. Probably loan spells to League 1 and the Championship would be better than throwing them on for 10 minutes when we're 3-0 up against Stoke.

Guest CabayeAye

It's all about seeing games out though. You could be 2-0 up and bring on a youngster who makes a mistake and knacks up the entire game. Bring on an experienced head and you see the game out.

The problem is that reserve level is so vastly inferior to the Premiership that it's tricky to make the step up. Maybe we'll see some being given a chance in Europe. Probably loan spells to League 1 and the Championship would be better than throwing them on for 10 minutes when we're 3-0 up against Stoke.

Playing kids againt shit teams in the UEFA cup is a double win. Kids get match time, and the big boys get a rest.

If Pardew and the staff believe the kid has the right temperament to fast track into the first team squad then I'm sure it would happen. It's touch and go with players like Campbell though because as much as he could explode onto the scene, he could equally succumb to the pressure of it, knocking him back into obscurity.

We've seen this many times.

Anyone remember the wonder kid Paul Brayson, scoring goals for fun and was given a few run outs, then disappeared from the limelight.

If Campbell is THE striker for the future then let's make sure his future is bright and his mind is right and let's keep it all tight for the fight for a season of might and to see if it's right , so let's not blight our raw delight before he's has a chance to set the place alight, or it could be 'goodnight.' :outahere:

I think if Campbell is impressing Pardew then he will get a chance sooner rather than later and i think europe may be the way to go. Put him on the bench in europe and if we're comfortably beating some lesser opposition put him on under no presure and give him a brief taste of the first team. If it goes well then put him on the bench more often.

I hope he get's onto the pitch on Thursday.

Maybe, I think it depends on Shola's status. If Shola is able to go I'd expect to see him on the pitch. I'd also expect more fringe players in the squad Thursday and if we get the job done maybe more youngsters in hte week following. The league is definitely the priority, but we definitely want to qualify for the group stages of this competition.

Pardew said this:

Alan Pardew:

"Who can play the three games in a week? Who can play two? It's the first week and we have already had guys on international duty and probably not done as much work as we would have liked.

"I think I have to see how we cope with a Europa League which is tough scheduling for a Premier League team and how we cope with those first 10 games. Then, I think I will have a little bit more of an idea.

"Logistically, I noted how Stoke played a complete second XI in one of the games (last season) and left senior players behind and I can understand that.

"If you have really long trips, four or five hours, it is almost impossible. So we have to be very intelligent in what we do, but the most important thing is that we put a Newcastle team out which we think is going to win.

"The younger ones and guys who did not see a lot of football last year are definitely going to get games. "

Pardew has been talking about him a lot recently, with the Ameobi's out injured he could well make his debut on Thursday. The Europa League has been a good omen for us giving players debuts....Lets not forget the last 17 year old to who got his debut against Palermo in 06 and kept a cracking clean sheet.

Lush this like.

Totally disagree with CT on leaving young lads on the sidelines to learn. If watching made you a better player I'd be as good as Peter Crouich by now.

Lads like Chopra who showed the same kind of promise early on but got no first team experience at the highest level, instead going to Watford and Barnsley, don't learn what it takes to step up to the next level and fizzle out as average lower league players. Lads like Krul and Carroll who get early exposure end up as club record sales or first team solids.

Guest CabayeAye

Pardew has been talking about him a lot recently, with the Ameobi's out injured he could well make his debut on Thursday. The Europa League has been a good omen for us giving players debuts....Lets not forget the last 17 year old to who got his debut against Palermo in 06 and kept a cracking clean sheet.

Anyone with eyes could see that Krul was going to be a top, top keeper after that game and the definite successor to Given. The only surprise was that it took him so long to establish himself as number 1. 6 years ago! And people still consider him a 'young' keeper!

Apparently he might even start!

As great as that would be I hope we take this lot as seriously as possible, whilst appreciating we've got a league game very soon after. There's no guarantee we'll go over there and do them.

Edited by Monroe Transfer

Because he's not good enough. He's a kid with a lot of promise for the future who is doing well in quite a talented reserves team. He's not a Prem top 5 striker and therefore shouldnt be anywhere near the first team yet.

Of course we always like a good talented kid about to break through but a longer apprenticeship watching seeing the likes of Ba, Cisses and Shola (attitude) will give us more chance of a great striker in a few years than another big time Charlie who thinks he made it by having a sniff at the first team. (See Ranger). Just my IMO though :)

Says the bloke who banged on about giving Ferguson a game every week when he clearly wasnt ready. . .

Lush this like.

Totally disagree with CT on leaving young lads on the sidelines to learn. If watching made you a better player I'd be as good as Peter Crouich by now.

Lads like Chopra who showed the same kind of promise early on but got no first team experience at the highest level, instead going to Watford and Barnsley, don't learn what it takes to step up to the next level and fizzle out as average lower league players. Lads like Krul and Carroll who get early exposure end up as club record sales or first team solids.

Agree, When a talented youngster gets a chance at first team level it shows them that things they get away with in a youth/reserve level may cost them at the higher level. It gives them a good glimpse into their faults and where they need to improve as opposed to whipping other young lads then at 22-23 learning half the stuff you regularly do wont work.

This Adam Campbell looks a real class finisher and he reminds me of a young Michael Owen. I think we have a real gem on our hands here, let's just hope he can handle the pressure.

If he hits the ground running, we will see a fair bit of him this season I think in cup competitions and as a late sub in comfortable games.

A bit of PMA from Pards will work wonders. For all its a European game it appears the Greeks are nearer League 1 level.

He's just scored a hattrick against a team of much better players in Spurs reserves so he's got nothing to fear