The Adam Campbell thread

Monroe Transfer

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems to be generating a fair bit of hype this lad. Any of you seen him in person and able to give a good account of the guy?

Not in person but on tv against deportivo brasil the other week, quiet game but looked good. Hard to say till we get to see him in a first game.

Michael Chopra's early record at NUFC:

In the 2000–01 season, he scored 28 goals for the Newcastle Academy side that reached the FA Premier League Academy Under-17 playoff final. In December 2000 he signed his professional contract with Newcastle. The next season, playing for the Academy Under-19 team, he scored 14 goals in the first nine games of the season, prompting a promotion to the Senior Reserves. He went on to score in the Northumberland Senior Cup final victory over Bedlington Terriers in September 2001. Then in October, Newcastle gave him a squad number. By the end of the season, he had made 17 appearances for the Reserves, scoring seven goals.

The 2002–03 season started well, with Chopra scoring nine goals in his first five games for the Under-19s and Reserves. In November he signed a new three-year deal with the club, and on 6 November, he made his senior debut against Everton in the League Cup, substituting Lomana LuaLua. The game ended 3–3 but Newcastle lost the penalty shootout, with Chopra missing his spot kick.

Chopra was born in 83 so was 17-18 when he got 28 goals for the academy in a season. Adam Campbell's figures for last season played 15, 8 goals, he's roughly the same age as Chopra was when he had his great season for the u18s. Proves nothing but we all know how Chopra turned out. I know there were great hopes for Chopra, a lot of us were wondering when he was going to get his chance. He got it but didnt kick on though, at a guess I'd assume it was his lack of pace that was the telling factor in why he's not a premier league standard striker. Difficult to say about Campbell, no ones really seen him play, unless there are some closet u18 watchers among us. Point is, hype is a guarantee of nothing when it comes to youth players.

Michael Chopra's early record at NUFC:

In the 2000–01 season, he scored 28 goals for the Newcastle Academy side that reached the FA Premier League Academy Under-17 playoff final. In December 2000 he signed his professional contract with Newcastle. The next season, playing for the Academy Under-19 team, he scored 14 goals in the first nine games of the season, prompting a promotion to the Senior Reserves. He went on to score in the Northumberland Senior Cup final victory over Bedlington Terriers in September 2001. Then in October, Newcastle gave him a squad number. By the end of the season, he had made 17 appearances for the Reserves, scoring seven goals.

The 2002–03 season started well, with Chopra scoring nine goals in his first five games for the Under-19s and Reserves. In November he signed a new three-year deal with the club, and on 6 November, he made his senior debut against Everton in the League Cup, substituting Lomana LuaLua. The game ended 3–3 but Newcastle lost the penalty shootout, with Chopra missing his spot kick.

Chopra was born in 83 so was 17-18 when he got 28 goals for the academy in a season. Adam Campbell's figures for last season played 15, 8 goals, he's roughly the same age as Chopra was when he had his great season for the u18s. Proves nothing but we all know how Chopra turned out. I know there were great hopes for Chopra, a lot of us were wondering when he was going to get his chance. He got it but didnt kick on though, at a guess I'd assume it was his lack of pace that was the telling factor in why he's not a premier league standard striker. Difficult to say about Campbell, no ones really seen him play, unless there are some closet u18 watchers among us. Point is, hype is a guarantee of nothing when it comes to youth players.

Again with the negativity, Paddocklad!

Come on, what's your problem? I'm sure the guy will do great.

:lol:

Isnt he only 5'6 ? If so then it will be very difficult for him to make it as a TOP player. Players like Beardo and Zola had something super special which got them there. Hopefully this kid has the same. Thats not to say he wont make a profession out of the game.

Im basing all this on his height without ever seeing the lad kick a ball of course.

One week on from earning praise from Alan Pardew after his senior debut in the friendly at Cardiff, Adam Campbell caught the eye of the manager once again with a first-half hat-trick in the Reserves' win over Tottenham.

Wearing the number nine shirt, the 17-year-old netted a header and two smart finishes to help Willie Donachie and Peter Beardsley's second-string to a 6-4 victory - and Pardew was positioned behind the goal for all three of Campbell's strikes.

The Magpies manager will certainly have been impressed by the pace and intelligence of the teenager, who has been registered for Newcastle's Europa League squad, and Campbell admitted that his treble was made all the more special by Pardew's presence.

"It's just an added bonus really," he told nufc.co.uk. "A hat-trick is great whenever you get it, but when the manager's watching it's even better.

"Pre-season's all been building up to the first game of the season, whether it was the under-18s, Reserves or first-team, and we played well.

"We created a lot of chances and ended up winning against a good team."

Haris Vuckic, Curtis Good and Bradden Inman were also on target as United led 6-1 at one stage before almost being pegged back late on, and it was a strong second-string side with the likes of Gael Bigirimana, James Tavernier and Mehdi Abeid all involved.

And Campbell, who played most of his football for Dave Watson's title-winning under-18s side last term, is aiming to establish himself alongside alongside those players this season.

"It's ridiculous how good people like Mehdi, Bigi, Haris, Brad and Conor (Newton) are," he said. "All the Reserve team are absolutely brilliant players and when you're getting service like that, it's pretty hard to miss to be honest with you.

"Last season I don't think I started a single Reserve game - maybe one or two at the most - then when I came on against Cardiff, everyone on Twitter was like 'he's going to be a first-teamer' and all that!

"I like it when people talk like that, but for me it's all about getting in the Reserve team and getting a few goals, like I did on Saturday."

Aye seems to have a great attitude and from the sounds of things is very talented.

Hope the lad makes it as its great to produce our own, sounds a very strong reserve/developmental side.

who has been registered for Newcastle's Europa League squad

That doesn't really mean much tbh. As he's U-21 he doesn't need to be part of the 25 man squad to play, I'm assuming that he's only been included in order to bulk up our homegrown numbers?

Hope he stays in the background for a couple of years simply learning from Cisse, Ba and Shola.

Why? I'd rather if he was good enough he was given the chance.

Why? I'd rather if he was good enough he was given the chance.

Because he's not good enough. He's a kid with a lot of promise for the future who is doing well in quite a talented reserves team. He's not a Prem top 5 striker and therefore shouldnt be anywhere near the first team yet.

Of course we always like a good talented kid about to break through but a longer apprenticeship watching seeing the likes of Ba, Cisses and Shola (attitude) will give us more chance of a great striker in a few years than another big time Charlie who thinks he made it by having a sniff at the first team. (See Ranger). Just my IMO though :)