Usually a player gets their own thread months before he signs!!!! We must be slipping :lol:

Anyway, heard a few people on the radio today who have followed his football and reckon we are getting a really top notch player at a steal. Talking in similar terms to Cabaye in regard to what an excellent signing he will be for us.

If Cabaye misses tomorrow I wonder whether is viable to start him given he may not even have trained with our players. Probably not.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually a player gets their own thread months before he signs!!!! We must be slipping :lol:

Anyway, heard a few people on the radio today who have followed his football and reckon we are getting a really top notch player at a steal. Talking in similar terms to Cabaye in regard to what an excellent signing he will be for us.

If Cabaye misses tomorrow I wonder whether is viable to start him given he may not even have trained with our players. Probably not.

His technique will be superb, he'll be able to handle it.

His technique will be superb, he'll be able to handle it.

Basically this is what the Dutch guy was saying on the radio that he has been taught the right way over many years (I assume through the Ajax academy) and will be one of our MAJOR players.

Didnt quite realise it was as an important signing as this fellow is making out.

Happy Days.

I think it's exactly what we needed in midfield, he gives us loads of extra options and if Marveaux fulfils the promise he has shown in glimpses then our midfield looks sorted.

Got to agree with this. Marveaux has massive ability it all about him staying fit.

Interesting to hear AP say Anita is a mixture of both Tiote and Cabaye.

Decent player with the Ajax ideals running in his blood.

Exactly. Another player with a great footballing upbringing at a top top club. We have done well to get him for what we did. He comes into a squad looking to push on and improve whilst he comes with a winners metality after winning the dutch league. Like Tiote did. Like Cabaye did at Lille.

We are signing players of real quality at great prices at the moment. The scouting system is without question 'top notch'.

Edited by StellarStripes

VURNON ANITA has revealed how Newcastle United’s persistence persuaded him to make the move to St James’ Park rather than think about a possible switch to Sunderland.

The Magpies completed the £6.2m transfer of the Dutch midfielder yesterday and he is in contention to start tomorrow’s Premier League opener with Tottenham.

But the Newcastle new-boy claims he could easily have been lining up for Sunderland at the Emirates Stadium after learning of interest in him from both Tyne & Wear.

He signed a five-year deal at Newcastle, where he has been reassured by manager Alan Pardew that he is seen primarily as a central midfielder.

“Yes, it is true that Sunderland did want me, but I chose Newcastle because they really wanted me, they kept on asking for me and that gave me satisfaction too,” said Anita.

“Now I am here, so let’s look to make a wonderful year for Newcastle. Last year I saw Newcastle play several times.

They play wonderful football and that is the main focus. I have known about Newcastle for a long time.”

The 23-year-old wants to be considered mainly for a role in midfield by Pardew, but accepts he could play at either right-back or left-back during his time in the North-East.

With the fitness of Yohan Cabaye being monitored closely, Anita has every chance of starting against Spurs. If he does it will cap a fast-moving period in his life after realising his time with Ajax was coming to an end.

“I’m very happy to have everything sorted. Now I can focus on the football and that is the most important thing,”

said the combative 5ft 6in playmaker. “It has been going on for a while, but in the last two weeks it has been more and more intensive with the deal. I’m happy that it’s over, that the clubs are happy and that it’s over.

“It is true that I wanted to speak to the club first. I spoke to the staff, I heard the philosophy of the club and it was great to hear that. I’m very, very happy to be here.

“They showed me a video about the club and it was good to see that. The team really wants to play attractive football and that is my style.”

Anita – who progressed through the academy at Ajax and made 152 appearances – has three caps for Holland and is hoping this move strengthens his chances of more.

Pardew did his homework before completing the signing.

He said: “Character is the top ingredient for a top player.

And he’s definitely got that and his ability is, you know when you come through the Ajax system, you have to have technical ability, trust me.

“He’s a little bit different to Cheik and a little bit different to Cabaye. That was one of the reasons I thought he would be perfect for us.”

With three matches inside seven days scheduled to start the campaign there will be early strain put on the Newcastle squad.

Pardew has admitted there will be changes for the games and he is seriously considering leaving some of his leading lights behind when they head to Athens for Thursday’s Europa League qualifier with Atromitos.

“Possibly, yes, but as I said, almost every game I am going to have to review with my staff and ask where are we going to go with these players,” said Pardew.

“Who can play the three games (in a week)? Who can play two? It is the first week and we have already had guys away on international duty and probably not done as much work as we would have liked.

“But we are just pleased to be there (the Europa League), we really are and we will try to give it a real good go if we can.”

Pardew already has fitness concerns over Cabaye and Hatem Ben Arfa ahead of the curtain-raiser tomorrow. But has been encouraged over the shape and fitness of striker Papiss Cisse, who has been rested in the last two friendlies.

From what I've seen and read I think he'll be the water carrier.

Tiote will look to break up play and lay it off

Anita will look to assist Tiote by either supplying cover or a passing option, then link to the attacking players.

Cabaye will be able to pull the strings in the way Pardew first stated. He'll be our quarterback.