Newcastle v Norwich City: 22nd or 23rd Sept

Gene_Clark

Fancy a pair of tickets for the Newcastle v Norwich game for only £5? If you do, you can help raise desperately needed funds for Northern Alliance premier division team Percy Main Amateurs.

The Newcastle United Foundation (http://www.nufc.co.uk/page/Foundation/Home) have donated a pair of tickets for the Norwich game on 22nd or 23rd September (Europa League fixtures pending...) that Percy Main Amateurs are raffling, as a pair, for £5 a throw.

You can enter as many times as you like (£20 would give you 4 goes at the tickets, for example).

The way to enter is either to send £5 via PayPal to iancusack@blueyonder.co.uk or see me in person with your cash, before or after the Atromitos home game on Thursday 30th August.

Additionally, you can contact any Percy Main Amateurs club official at the home games 22/8 v Wallsend Town, 25/8 v Rutherford or 8/9 v Morpeth Town.

The draw takes place on Monday 17th September & the winner will be contacted directly afterwards.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds a bit of a rip off if you ask me, £5 isn't going to get you two tickets for the game, it's going to buy you a raffle ticket.

You should have just called your thread £5 raffle ticket to win two tickets for the Norwich game.

"You can enter as many times as you like (£20 would give you 4 goes at the tickets, for example"

For fuck sake ! 4 times £5 = £20 ? thanks for the maths lesson.

• 5 weeks later...

Norwich for a fiver?

Newcastle United will be hoping for another Sports Direct Arena sell-out on Sunday (23rd September) as Norwich come to town, and you can help fill the stadium from as little as £5.

Due to the Canaries not selling their full allocation of tickets for the Premier League fixture (3pm kick-off), it has given the Club the opportunity to create a fantastic offer in Level 7 of the Sir John Hall Stand.

Adults can secure their seat for just £15, a ticket for seniors and students will cost £10, and anyone under the age of 18 can take in the match for just £5 - a brilliant price for a top flight game.

It provides Magpies fans with the chance to create another amazing home atmosphere - hopefully roaring the lads on to all three points - and the tickets are sure to be snapped up quickly, so get yours now to avoid disappointment.

Tickets remain available elsewhere in the stadium, but only in Level 7 of the Sir John Hall Stand will you be able to take advantage of these bargain prices.

Remember though, if you want to secure your seat for every home league game, season tickets are still on sale now and can be purchased by clicking here.

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20120918/norwich-tickets-from-a-fiver_2281670_2922165

Another cracking piece from George Caulkin on Hughton.

Why Chris Hughton inspires respect - and love

George Caulkin

This is a blog about why I love men; if that opening line does not grab your attention, put it in a headlock and wrestle with it - naked, in front of a roaring fire - then God help us, nothing will. It is a statement I stand by with pride and conviction, but if you require a little context or a smidge of explanation, then I will happily provide it. As is required of me, according to the terms of my contract, I am talking football.

We all have footballing heroes, the players who smash goals or crunch into tackles, who epitomise the ethos of a club with their work, glamour or ability. We go doe-eyed about exploits out on the field, the formative memories that stay with us through the decades, that are gilded or amended to embellish the legend, that fortify us during those (frequent) barren moments.

I love those things, but what I’ve come to really treasure, in an era when the bond between the sport and its supporters often stretches to the point of transparence and beyond, when alienation is a constant companion, are those people who accept our affection and who reflect it back, who represent the best of us. Men - and, for now, they mainly still are men - with inclusive personalities.

The reason this thought is in my head (as opposed to the usual thought, which is of warm doughnuts served by topless sex robots) is, if you haven’t already guessed, the imminent return of Chris Hughton to Newcastle United. I went to see him at Norwich City last week for an interview which appeared in Monday’s paper and was reminded again about the qualities which guided the club away from turmoil.

When I posted a link to the piece on Twitter, there was one response which particularly struck me and it came from a Middlesbrough supporter called Jonathan Ord (@jonord1). “From a Boro fan’s view, he made you dislike Nufc less,” he said. “That’s quite a compliment in its own way.” And, although the concept is a vague and complicated one, it really is.

There are others who have had a similar effect. Staying with Middlesbrough, Tony Mowbray and Steve Gibson serve as beacons for Teesside, but whether through their own personal narratives, the fact their relationships with the club have seen them stand tall in dark moments, the philosophy of football, their track-records, they command respect elsewhere.

I recall attending an event hosted by the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation and hovering on the fringes of a conversation which saw a slightly lubricated Newcastle fan fall to his knees and plead with Gibson to buy his club. Gibson was amused and possibly flattered, but the request was a futile one; the reason why his ownership of Middlesbrough has worked and endured is because of his passion.

On the subject of Sir Bobby, the same things applies. He is a different example, because he had a wider connection to the North East and to football in general prior to his appointment as Newcastle manager. A man of Durham, he looked south to the Wear as much as north to the Tyne, while his noble efforts with England left him belonging to all who can remember it.

Hate withered inside Bobby. He wanted Newcastle to beat Sunderland and he enthused about the raucous intensity of derby matches, but he was baffled by the enmity between the two clubs. We can be very localised in our rivalry, but he was an ambassador for all of us. In return, he was adored; on his death, supporters of Sunderland and Middlesbrough (and countless others), chanted his name.

Niall Quinn was chairman of Sunderland at that moment (fittingly, he and Gibson are both Patrons of Sir Bobby’s Foundation), and he is another man I think about with love. As a journalist, there was rich pleasure to be taken from a footballer capable of referencing the miners’ strike when he spoke, but that connection to the locality deepened as he took root in it. He fell in love, too.

In the boardroom, he encouraged a club to lift thier head and believe again. He talked about dreams in the same breath as the hard work needed to reach them, taking his message into arenas and working-men's clubs, delivering hard truths and taking hard questions. He has a lyrical mind, a turn of phrase which inspires pride and he has a common touch; organise a meeting with him and he’d likely suggest a Durham pub.

Hughton is not like that. He is uncomfortable in the spotlight and lyricism is not a strength. His press conferences as Newcastle manager could make you weep because his ability to repel pressure, to deflect questions, to focus everything on the collectivity of his “group of lads” were legendary but, if you cared about the club, he commanded respect, too. That calm, placid attitude was precisely what was needed.

And it should never be forgotten. As it always does, football carries on and renews itself and time blurs the memory, but Hughton was in the dug-out for one of the most important spells in Newcastle’s recent history and arrived there at its most toxic. In retrospect, their promotion feels like a procession, but it was not until the very end of October that season that he was appointed on a permanent basis, that the club were withdrawn from the market.

On the pitch, Newcastle learnt how to win again and, after all that corrosion, fans could take satisfaction from attending matches, notwithstanding the reduced circumstances. Off it, Hughton restored dignity to an institution which had seen respect leech away from it, accepting victory and defeat with the same stoicism. I adore the fact that opposite his desk in his office at the training ground, he had a portrait of Sir Bobby staring back at him.

Newcastle have excelled under Alan Pardew. The regime is still prone to risk-taking - see this summer in the transfer market - but last season’s fifth-placed finish in the Barclays Premier League and a coherent financial plan, have offered both encouragement and understanding (even if not universal agreement). In the early days under Hughton, it was merely chaos.

He navigated a path through that and did it while eschewing hysteria, gathering players around him and forming a collective. Stability is not a word which is often associated with Newcastle but that, spirit and Graham Carr - his appointment as chief scout - are lasting legacies. Like Quinn, like Sir Bobby, like Gibson, like Mowbray, he is decent to his core. As with them, he made it more difficult to feel dislike.

Sounds as though Tiote could be back for this according to Pardew. Also news that Coloccini is back in training today and may only be a week away.

Still not convinced how Pardew is going to address the creativity from the left. Also wondering if he will use Cisse's illness as an excuse to start with just Ba upfront.

Sounds as though Tiote could be back for this according to Pardew. Also news that Coloccini is back in training today and may only be a week away.

Still not convinced how Pardew is going to address the creativity from the left. Also wondering if he will use Cisse's illness as an excuse to start with just Ba upfront.

It won't be by playing Shane Ferguson there :picknose:

It won't be by playing Shane Ferguson there :picknose:

:lol:

It all boils down to which system we play to be honest.

Once again i hope we go with the 4231, get Jonas on the right where he done well last time out, Ben Arfa on the left and Ba in behind Cisse.

-----------------Elliott

Anita---Taylor---Williamson---Santon

----------Cabaye---Tiote

Jonas----------Ba---------Ben Arfa

----------------Cisse

Elliott deserves to start and hopefully Tiote will be fit, oh how we have missed him. If not then i'd have no problem with Bigi going in there with Cabs.

:lol:

It all boils down to which system we play to be honest.

Once again i hope we go with the 4231, get Jonas on the right where he done well last time out, Ben Arfa on the left and Ba in behind Cisse.

-----------------Elliott

Anita---Taylor---Williamson---Santon

----------Cabaye---Tiote

Jonas----------Ba---------Ben Arfa

----------------Cisse

Elliott deserves to start and hopefully Tiote will be fit, oh how we have missed him. If not then i'd have no problem with Bigi going in there with Cabs.

We'll come under quite the aerial assault against Norwich, so I'd definitely start with the two Dembas, but if Tiote is back I'd start Jonas in the centre as the water carrier and HBA, Ba and Cisse forming a three pronged attack

We'll come under quite the aerial assault against Norwich, so I'd definitely start with the two Dembas, but if Tiote is back I'd start Jonas in the centre as the water carrier and HBA, Ba and Cisse forming a three pronged attack

Like last season! At least we won't have Simpson and Perch at CB so there is one marked improvement.

I'm pretty confident that Taylor and Williamson will have enough physical presence to cope.

We will be edging closer to our strongest 11 on Sunday and I expect us to get the ball down and play a lot more. Give them something to worry about rather than worry about them.

If we keep the ball in their half then there is less chance to give away free kicks around our box which would be their main threat.

We are due a stormer and fancy us to get 3 or 4 on Sunday.

Edited by StellarStripes

Astounds me that ct points out the lack of creativity down the left. Since enrique and jonas and now jonas and santon, pretty much everything has gone down that side. How can't u have noticed that?

The creativity was poor when Enrique and Jonas hence all the debate (not just from me) about Jonas end product.

Lately everything goes down the right with HBA. Not sure how you haven't noticed this.

The only time it goes down the left is when Ben Arfa plays there.

The creativity was poor when Enrique and Jonas hence all the debate (not just from me) about Jonas end product.

Lately everything goes down the right with HBA. Not sure how you haven't noticed this.

The only time it goes down the left is when Ben Arfa plays there.

To put it another way, all of ben arfas goals have come from the left and we need to improve on the right.

The bottom line is we need a constant threat down both flanks if we want to turn these turgid games into winning games. Ben Arfa can create on either wing but the central midfield need to have the option for a fast attack down either flank. Quite often it isnt there which is why play is delayed and eventually heads over to HBA on the right or Santon scampers out of defence, moment lost.

Its quite easy to see this in every game and why I guess Pardew tried to solve the problem by switching Ben Arfa for the last game and trying Marveaux on the right.

Sorry if some people dont see this, but it is a weakness.

I never mentioned Guti first and let's face it, me and him dont do stealth ;)

I would just like us to have a potent attack down either side as that in itself might free up the midfield and let Cabaye join attack more often.

My ideal would be Cabaye controlling things further forward with real options either side of him.

Not really fussed who the personnel are as long as it works.

To put it another way, all of ben arfas goals have come from the left and we need to improve on the right.

Come to think of it most of our goals have been from the left or centre . :lol:

Well according to various snippets of press reports it sounds as though Tiote will be back and Cisse and Ba will start up front.

Be nice if Cabaye can also hit form and start orchestrating things.

Elliot may also get a start following his solid, but not world class display in Europe.

Elliot

Anita Taylor Williamson Santon

HBA Tiote Cabaye Jonas

Ba Cisse

Tbh I been lost of late with the vRious formations as to which one we'll play, but I guess that will be the team.

I would really like us to thump someone. Woke up this morning think of 6-0 but I'm going to go with 5-0 for some reason.

Also undecided between having no alcohol and hot chocolate v a few drinks v getting pissed.

Hmmmmmm