Newcastle v Norwich City: 22nd or 23rd Sept

Gene_Clark

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

;) The peformance was shite against a team that'll probably be down amongst it at the end of the season. Great 3 points aye, but the rest of it?

Aye, but to say it feels like a defeat? Blyme

;) The peformance was shite against a team that'll probably be down amongst it at the end of the season. Great 3 points aye, but the rest of it?

Better clubs than us will put in shite performances against sides fighting relegation and pick up (or not pick up) 3 points. Doesn't mean much in the long term as long as we're not consistently as poor as we were today.

I'd be more worried about the result if we'd conceded and not made chances. 18 shots today.

Also, Cabaye made loads of short to middle ranged passes, which makes me think his diminished attacking contribution has more to do with the standard of the player alongside him in the centre. He's doing the transitional passing that is normally done by the defensive midfielder. I think we'll see Yohan back to his beautiful best when Tiote is his normal dominant self.

Today shows why we would be mental to sell Ba for £7mil. When he plays in his best position he gets nearly a goal a game

Anybody else expecting Ba to get about 16 then have a barren spell after Xmas, when Cisse will go on a Scoring spree?

Absolute turgid performance and lucky to hang on.

Just ain't clicking for us this season and unless Pardew sorts it out in training we are going to come a cropper very soon.

Highlights.

Harper did well.

I liked Anita at RB

Ben Arfa was a pleasure to be in the same stadium as.

Pies were good.

We just don't look a team and in particular the strikers look to have no understanding between each other.

Thank God we won.

We are always 'lucky' but on the other hand they were lucky that -

Cisse missed a penalty.

Cisse missed a very good headed chance.

Ba didn't take a better touch which allowed Barnett to catch him up when through.

Cabaye skied a couple of good chances.

Taylor headed just wide.

Obertan chose to shoot when putting it across the box would have led to a tap in.

Etc, etc... As much as we weren't brilliant we still created enough chances to win this comfortably.

They had plenty of the ball in our final third. Not good when only sitting on a 1-0 lead.

which is different to hanging on.

they had 3 serious efforts on goal, requiring 2 admittedly very good stops by Harper.

last season we beat them 1-0 & it required a far better series of saves by Krul to ensure the victory.

today wasn't comfortable, though it would have been at 2-0, but we were in no appreciable danger.

still it's glad to see you understand football and politics to an equal measure

We picked up points last year early on without looking World beaters so lets see how things pan out as the season evolves. We'll definitely pick up a bit should the injuries settle down.

Exactly. We were no better in the first 11 of last season as I remember it.

3 tight points won. Good work.

which is different to hanging on.

they had 3 serious efforts on goal, requiring 2 admittedly very good stops by Harper.

last season we beat them 1-0 & it required a far better series of saves by Krul to ensure the victory.

today wasn't comfortable, though it would have been at 2-0, but we were in no appreciable danger.

still it's glad to see you understand football and politics to an equal measure

Were you there?

If you were you will realise that 50,000 or so Geordies biting nails, groaning and whistling for the final whistle, usually indicates a very uncomfortable end to the game.

Guessing you were too busy burning effigies of Maggie.

We picked up points last year early on without looking World beaters so lets see how things pan out as the season evolves. We'll definitely pick up a bit should the injuries settle down.

True we could pick up but we are looking very poor throughout the team. Nothing seems to be close to clicking into place at the moment.

Not a very good performance. I said at the final whistle that I'm still not sure we have had a good one yet this year. The good news is we have enough points thus far to build on.

I thought Pardew got it wrong again, but before I really comment on tactics I have to re-watch the match. The feed kept coming in and out and wasn't the best quality- so I must admit there were things I missed.

One big gripe I will point out though- I can't believe we go to a 4-5-1 at home against Norwich with 15 minutes to go. I know we are up 1-0, but why let them come at you? Does Obertan really offer anything? Bring on Ameobi at that point and give us an outlet. We didn't keep the ball at all in the last 15, or so it felt....

Tiote is a real fucking ass sometimes. I would not start him next game if I were manager after his little cameo. Dribbling around the box up 1-0, taking out a player like that....these things are unacceptable and IMO fine him a weeks wages and sit his ass. Too bad the modern day player has too big of an ego for that.

Obertan really is gash. Useless at this level. Keeping Routledge would have been a better option.

Also, set pieces (offensively) are a huge weakness. That includes penalties. They weren't good last year and it looks like we haven't got anyone to take them unless Raylor is out there.

European squad should play Wednesday and then let's get at Reading for another 3 points.

We are always 'lucky' but on the other hand they were lucky that -

Cisse missed a penalty.

Cisse missed a very good headed chance.

Ba didn't take a better touch which allowed Barnett to catch him up when through.

Cabaye skied a couple of good chances.

Taylor headed just wide.

Obertan chose to shoot when putting it across the box would have led to a tap in.

Etc, etc... As much as we weren't brilliant we still created enough chances to win this comfortably.

Is the correct answer.

Even playing well below par we were a much more potent team than them, we will give someone a howking soon.

Exactly. We were no better in the first 11 of last season as I remember it.

3 tight points won. Good work.

Aye, steady as she goes...we've had a lot worse weeks, thats for sure. Point away in the league, euro draw away, and 3 points at home. Liverpool built a...erm..."legend" on weeks like that :D

Man Utd away Wedsnesday...fixture congestion can be a good thing, maybe Tiote will start, give him an hour. He'll be like a chained pitbull on Saturday.

Quite concerned what we focus on in training as we seem to have no coherent game plan at the moment. We're just relying on a moment of inspiration from one of our players.

All in all, another 3 points gained.

Not the best performance in the world and not the worst but we did create chances and didn't concede, even though we were our own worst enemy at times,giving the ball away too cheaply.

Norwich came for a fight and a fight they gave us, even though we could and should have weakened that fight just before half time, yet we didn't but we still slugged it out.

We will play 10 times better than that and lose and also play worse than that and win...that's football.

The referee was crap by the way.

We had a side out today that appeared to be getting to grips with each other and stuttering, yet when we get into a flow with all out injuries subsiding, I think we will see the real Newcastle United.

After all, we are only 5 games in and barely out of the starting blocks, yet we have lost one game away to the potential 2013 prem champions in Chelsea in their own backyard.

What you tend to find with teams like Norwich is, they always come to the big grounds and fight to the death and denying us time on the ball and seem to add another 50% to their overall game as far as effort is concerned...Plus the fact that Chris Hughton will have had a massive extra word in their ears to make sure they done him proud against his old club.

The plus points are.

Harper isn't finished by a long way and was our hero today.

Santon looks class and did a very good job at the back as well as going forward, except that he tried to go that one step further all the time which actually made him look (overall) wasteful.

Perch continues to impress even when shifted around. His no none-sense displays help to keep us steady when the shit hits the fan.

Ba looks like he has a re-newed zest and always looks dangerous.

Ben Arfa is outstanding and a joy to watch......my man of the match.

Jonas put in a great shift as usual.

most of the players did a decent job without being exactly on top of their game.

The worrying parts today were Cisse, Tiote and Anita. Cisse just looks dejected and down on his luck and it shows but hopefully he will get it right soon.

Tiote could have cost us the game when he came on with his reckless challenges, plus his show boating on the edge of our area and in midfield where he decided to think he's too good to be dispossessed, lucky to stay on and an impact sub he isn't...take note Pards.

Anita actually had a fairly decent game but just seemed to struggle in midfield and at right back against Norwich's physicality and aerial ability, which is why Perch is our my versatile iceman.

1-0 and I'm happy.