Newcastle v Norwich City: 22nd or 23rd Sept

Gene_Clark

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: @ this thread man.

I worry for us when we play badly and lose, there'll be a fucking queue to jump off the Tyne Bridge.

We didn't play great and yet comfortably beat a team in the Premier League.

Our players aren't firing on all cylinders and we're yet to see our 1st choice 11 take the field together.

The crux to our return to form will be Tiote. Once he's back and in the groove we'll see marked improvements from Cabaye and the defence. We're looking for the long ball more often, because the players at the back haven't the confidence to play it out. Colo and Tiote put that confidence into players like Taylor and whomever we play at right back.

Also, Tiote will give Cabaye time and space on the ball and the assurance that, if he commits himself further up the park, he's not leaving a weakened back four guarded by the hardworking but limited Perch or the toothless Anita.

We've lost once. To Chelsea. :lol: fucking Hell I thought expectations would rise after last year, but I didn't expect reality to be so massively distorted.

We'll be fine, we're getting results when we're playing fairly grey football. The worry is when the results aren't coming and we're playing shit.

...................2011/12 2012/13

Spurs (H).......2-2..........2-1

Chelsea (A)...2-0..........0-2

Villa (H).........2-1..........1-1

Everton (A)....1-3..........2-2

Norwich (H)...1-0 .........1-0

Win................3..............2

Draw .............1..............2

Loss...............1..............1

We've also had a tougher start to the season than we did last time around. Spurs at home, Chelsea and Everton away.

I think people need to calm down and assess after 10 league games.

What is noticeable is the people who are least concerned about the performance were many miles away from Newcastle following the game on Radio 5, www.iraqgoals.com or Sky Sports News, rather than the people who had to sit through it.

What is noticeable is the people who are least concerned about the performance were many miles away from Newcastle following the game on Radio 5, www.iraqgoals.com or Sky Sports News, rather than the people who had to sit through it.

That's a fair point, I'd also say the reason those of us who weren't at the game aren't as worried, is perhaps because we can view the game more objectively?

You kicked every ball, sang your throat raw and were surrounded by other people emotionally invested in the game that's happening right in front of you. You've got excited before the game, and contributed to the atmosphere during the game and been disappointed that the performance didn't match your expectations. Of course you're going to be a little more impassioned one way or the other, but the other side to that coin is that the people who weren't there have the freedom to be a little more objective.

I honestly think we'll forget about this performance as it was utterly non-descript. As was said, we created a stack of chances against Wigan and it took a moment of brilliance from Cabaye to break them down, end of the season those 3 points just went in the wash with all the others and nobody was upset we didn't play better.

I'm expecting 8th this season and the difference in these 5 results between this and last season is 2 points. That's within my expectations, so I'm not stressing yet.

That's a fair point, I'd also say the reason those of us who weren't at the game aren't as worried, is perhaps because we can view the game more objectively?

You kicked every ball, sang your throat raw and were surrounded by other people emotionally invested in the game that's happening right in front of you. You've got excited before the game, and contributed to the atmosphere during the game and been disappointed that the performance didn't match your expectations. Of course you're going to be a little more impassioned one way or the other, but the other side to that coin is that the people who weren't there have the freedom to be a little more objective.

I honestly think we'll forget about this performance as it was utterly non-descript. As was said, we created a stack of chances against Wigan and it took a moment of brilliance from Cabaye to break them down, end of the season those 3 points just went in the wash with all the others and nobody was upset we didn't play better.

I'm expecting 8th this season and the difference in these 5 results between this and last season is 2 points. That's within my expectations, so I'm not stressing yet.

Some rare good points to be fair, but we were still shite.

"being there" is an irrelevance in forming an opinion/comment, if you see the game on tv/Internet your viewpoint is in truth probably more "on the button" than just about anyone in the ground apart from those at a reasonable elevation in the expensive halfway seats.

Additionally, many ( as I did, when I went) have a few beers before/during the match, alcohol impairs judgement, so it could be a sober non attendee watcher's opinion is actually more valid than a well served attender, especially if said attendee sits at an end of the ground, where lets face it, you can see nine tenths of fuck all what's going on down the other end apart from 18 or so subbuteo sized players pelting about.

I go to a fair few games a season and miss more of the game watching from the stadium than I do watching on the telly.

The advantage of going to the game is the atmosphere and the feeling of being part of it, plus the day out of course seeing your team in the flesh.

The disadvantage (depending on where you are seated) not seeing a lot of incidents fully, like offsides, and the full on joy of seeing a goal scored at the other end clearly, mainly relying on the fans jumping for joy, so you react with them.

You can appreciate the speed of players much more in the ground as opposed to the telly, yet for full on analysis, you have a better one than any fan in the leazes or the gallowgate.

It's all about expectations as well and we will all be different.

Against teams like Norwich I go expecting a win as a given. It's then a case of being entertained and enjoying the match.

Games like yesterday's are not really entertaining or enjoyable and as a fan I come away feeling cheated. (Ben Arfa extravaganza apart).

Some point to injuries (and Tiotes return may improve things), but currently we just look a desperate one trick pony.

It's all about expectations as well and we will all be different.

Against teams like Norwich I go expecting a win as a given. It's then a case of being entertained and enjoying the match.

Games like yesterday's are not really entertaining or enjoyable and as a fan I come away feeling cheated. (Ben Arfa extravaganza apart).

Some point to injuries (and Tiotes return may improve things), but currently we just look a desperate one trick pony.

Which games did you come away from last season fully entertained? Man u and Liverpool?

Can't believe the lads put in a mediocre performance yesterday.

CT is right - we were cheated. I hope he's asked the club for a refund and a promise never to play badly but still win again. I'll be emailing the guy who put up my stream to ask him for compensation myself.

Edited by Monroe Transfer

"being there" is an irrelevance in forming an opinion/comment, if you see the game on tv/Internet your viewpoint is in truth probably more "on the button" than just about anyone in the ground apart from those at a reasonable elevation in the expensive halfway seats.

Additionally, many ( as I did, when I went) have a few beers before/during the match, alcohol impairs judgement, so it could be a sober non attendee watcher's opinion is actually more valid than a well served attender, especially if said attendee sits at an end of the ground, where lets face it, you can see nine tenths of fuck all what's going on down the other end apart from 18 or so subbuteo sized players pelting about.

It's not my fault old cunts can't drink, my view of the match is superb, I had about 8 or 9 pints all day and I was sober as a judge, I was as well.

It was an unspectacular performance but at least we got the three points, not forgetting we had 3 of our usual back 5 out and still looked pretty solid defensively.

Once we get Tiote back in the middle or put a 3rd man in there we'll look alot better and fluid and will let Cabaye get on the ball more and pull the strings, as when he's not playing with Tiote or 2 next to him he seems to be alot more defensive minded.

Lets not forget we didn't exactly set the world on fire at home last season either. After the game yesterday and leaving the ground it just felt like most of our performances/wins last season. Unspectacular but relief the 3 points were in the bag

What was Hughton's reception like? I couldn't tell as MOTD didn't cover it and I my internet was down so couldn't watch the game.

Read in the paper that he appreciated the reception he got before the match, and happy to be back and briefly in the first minute or so there was a chant for him then on with supporting the team as you'd expect.