Needs to go back to basics. I agree with Alex in that the injuries have meant he feels the need to do more than he has to. He's not a cultured footballer, he's there to protect the back four. He was superb for us when he was just doing that. The reason Perch has been doing better there is that he knows what to do in that role and is just doing it.

He really is a right stupid bastard with his tackling though. I know he sometimes gets booked on reputation where other players would be let off, but he really doesn't help himself like.

Needs to go back to basics. I agree with Alex in that the injuries have meant he feels the need to do more than he has to. He's not a cultured footballer, he's there to protect the back four. He was superb for us when he was just doing that. The reason Perch has been doing better there is that he knows what to do in that role and is just doing it.

He really is a right stupid bastard with his tackling though. I know he sometimes gets booked on reputation where other players would be let off, but he really doesn't help himself like.

I actually think its the other way around. Refs are bit lenient because they know he is clumsy. Most bookings are well deserved.

He doesn't want to leave and he knows that if he plays well he'll be shoved onto the chopper for a megabucks deal to Chelski.

I think we'll see him pick up his game when he gets back from the ACN and he's playing with the likes of Cabaye and Ben Arfa back in the side, perhaps with Anita for company as well.

I prefer Anita to Tiote at the moment. He hasn't really shown many signs of recapturing his form & he's gained this Alan Smithesque reputation where he can pick up a yellow card dispite doing nothing to deserve one.

• 3 months later...
Another who needs replaced and not by Anita

Replacements already there (if I was in charge) this team would take on West Ham. No setting up defensively for a point, but taking it to them from the off.

Elliot

Simpson Taylor Colochino Sandra the tea lady

Hba Cabaye Sissoko Marveaux

Cisse Gouffran

Sissoko getting the ball and making the massive runs forward. Sweeping it left, right or forward to players who can use it.

(Subject to HBA being fit enough to start).

I would start Yanga-Mbiwa over Taylor but other than that aye.

4-4-fucking-2. Wouldn't be surprised to see Shola start the way Pardew is talking about experience.....

• 1 month later...

NEWCASTLE United may find their resolve to keep hold of Cheick Tioté tested after it emerged that Russian Premier League side Lokomotiv Moscow are monitoring the midfielder’s availability.

United are understood to have warded off interest in Tiote from several Premier League clubs last summer but after an inconsistent campaign – for both the Ivorian and the club – that position may have changed ahead of this close season.

And Slaven Bilic’s Lokomotiv Moscow appear to be at the head of a queue of admirers that have watched Tioté since the turn of the year.

Tioté has a long-term contract with United that extends until 2017 but his representatives are aware of Lokomotiv’s interest – and the determination of the Russian club to invest in improving on last season’s disappointing seventh-place finish.

Much will be down to United, who must decide whether to adopt a similar policy towards their first-team players as they did last year, when Mike Ashley instructed all interested parties that there was a blanket £25million price tag on his stars.

That was before a season that finished with United battling the drop, however, and does not take into account the fact that Ashley is prepared to shake things up this summer to improve results.

United know there will be interest in their top stars, and already this close season they have seen Hatem Ben Arfa, Yohan Cabaye and Steven Taylor linked with rival clubs. Tioté, too, is a target and Ashley might be tempted if a bid of eight figures was forthcoming – as it would have been last summer if Newcastle had encouraged suitors that included Chelsea and Arsenal.

The money raised from sales would likely go into refreshing the squad

while Moussa Sissoko, who played in the number ten role last season, could share Tioté’s defensive responsibilities with Gael Bigirimana, who is being prepped for a big season next year.

United’s priority is to sign two strikers, but Braga striker Eder can be ruled out despite weekend reports linking him with a move to Newcastle.

The Portugal striker is likely to be out for several more months with a cruciate ligament suffered in March, which would rule him out of making a switch to England. Newcastle want all of their targets to hit the ground running, and the club are unlikely to spend £16million on a player who might miss the start of the season.

United do want someone to “dominate” the penalty area in the new season, however, after Alan Pardew identified set pieces as an area where the club must improve next year.

The club’s inability to create from dead balls last year – save for a couple of Cabaye free-kicks which were taken directly – was a major source of frustration. It led to the club considering another move for Andy Carroll, although senior club sources briefed that he is no longer a target last week.

Pardew wants someone to join in the summer who can remedy that.

“The big fall-down has been the centre-backs scoring goals from set-plays. We need to have more dominance in that area,” he said.

“It’s all well and good saying that the set-play problem is down to tactics, delivery, whatever. Ultimately you need (players of) six-foot four (inches) to go and head it in, or at least make first contact.

“We haven’t had that all year and it means all our wins have been one-goal wins, apart from Wigan and Southampton.

“We’re not the strongest attacking-wise (from set pieces) and that is an area that we need to look at.”

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2013/05/30/russians-keeping-an-eye-on-cheick-tiote-61634-33403049/#ixzz2UlPVB0RA