like everyone has been saying, needed to stop thinking he was a midfield creator/capable of being pirlo and get back to breaking up plays and giving the ball to someone else

Pardew had mentioned a few times that he thought he could be an Essien type which probably explains it.

How did he frustrate you?

Too much Hollywood shit & trying to be Pirlo. He needs to keep it simple.

He has cut out the shots but each one is a wasted opportunity.

• 1 month later...

I think the form of Cabaye and Tiote are dovetailed. When Cheick is reclaiming and recycling the ball well, Cabaye has the freedom to find space, spot runs and try the more adventurous. When Yohan is stretching the opposition and is taking the creative responsibility, Tiote can keep it simple.

I think the form of Cabaye and Tiote are dovetailed. When Cheick is reclaiming and recycling the ball well, Cabaye has the freedom to find space, spot runs and try the more adventurous. When Yohan is stretching the opposition and is taking the creative responsibility, Tiote can keep it simple.

True enough but I don't think I've ever seen Tiote as assured on the ball as he is now. He actually takes on his man from time to time, turns well, and can spray passes around well, etc.

Given that his MO used to be crunching tackles and play disruption, it's actually interesting to see.

Also getting booked far less this season (or it feels like it anyway).

Edited by Rayvin

I think this was the general conclusion about what cost us last year when either or both were out - especially when Tiote tried too hard to compensate by trying to play long passes.

It's simple really, because we now have a range of attacking and creative players Tiote is able to go back to doing what he is superb at. Covering, chasing, winning the ball, and doing the donkey work. When he struggled for form was when Cabaye and the likes were out. I remember in the middle of that him having the ball centre and people were screaming at him to play some sort of through ball when it's never been his job and he's never actually been any good at it. It's also helped Cabaye, it must give you the confidence to try stuff knowing you have that workaholic beast behind you to mop up. Player of the season by a country mile for me.

Yep, easily our player of the season thus far. He is superb at moving the play forwards 10-20 yards when we're a little bit deep.

I think having Williamson in the back line has suited us too. His pace is non-existent, forcing us to play a little bit deeper to account for it, meaning a bit of space has opened up in front of the back four. This space belongs entirely to Tiote.

• 3 weeks later...