Chelsea v Newcastle United

Park Life

To be fair 3 games in a week, first half we were shit however looked very comfortable in posession... Felt we were growing into the game, then came the penalty. Santons body position was shocking there, Anita didn't need to make the challenge, still I think both played relatively well. Anita was still running at the end (didn't he play 90 on Thursday?). 20 months ago that would've been a nailed on 5-0. I see far more positives here. Reckon we'll get three points in the corresponding fixture. Cannot overstate how key HBA will be this season.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair 3 games in a week, first half we were shit however looked very comfortable in posession... Felt we were growing into the game, then came the penalty. Santons body position was shocking there, Anita didn't need to make the challenge, still I think both played relatively well. Anita was still running at the end (didn't he play 90 on Thursday?). 20 months ago that would've been a nailed on 5-0. I see far more positives here. Reckon we'll get three points in the corresponding fixture. Cannot overstate how key HBA will be this season.

I know it won't be accomodated but I fantasize about Hatem (at home) playing behind a front two in a narrow 433. :)

Hatem was a class above and good to see Collo back.

Cisse and Ba both had a strange game, they need to work out what zone they want to start in when we have the ball, if they stand too close it's far too easy to cover any of their dappy runs. In away games I really think one has to drop off (Ba used to do that a lot more). Chelsea just ran the middle the whole first half which is no surprise as they are stocked with world class talent.

It looks like Pards wanted to give it a go and both strikers started high and central and we were trying to hit them earlyish..These balls don't really work against an organised back 4 and Chelsea were extra vigilant after the scare the other night.

We were far more threatening and made a game of it in the second half mainly cause it looked like Hatem had a free role and everybody had stepped it up. Cisse could have done better and Ba should have scored 10 yards out. We look a bit rusty and some still look like they need a couple of games (Cisse, Cabaye).

Didn't expect a win but was looking forward giving them a scare. Early days.

Agree with pretty much all of that.

I'm content with 3 points from the two league games we've had plus getting one of our harder away ties done.

Now I just hope we bring someone in, at least one.

Bring on Villa (and the home leg)

I'm content with 3 points from the two league games we've had plus getting one of our harder away ties done.

Now I just hope we bring someone in, at least one.

Bring on Villa (and the home leg)

Yup, 3 points from 2 games is OK. Hopefully this'll spur some transfer business as you say.

Yup, 3 points from 2 games is OK. Hopefully this'll spur some transfer business as you say.

3 points from Chelsea and Tottenham isn't bad so far

The fact that you're said shit again should've been enough to stop you even posting that question.

Hold on, we are talking about Santon the defender. Torres went past him like he wasn't there for the first. Can't quite remember the second.

Perspective Johnny?

We'll grow into this season as players find their fitness and Pardew sorts the formation. 4-4-2 isn't for us but a Hatem free role should be the way to go. Him and Carver will crack it. Keep the faith.

No shame losing to Chelsea away. Get a win on Thursday and do Villa. Sorted.

We'll grow into this season as players find their fitness and Pardew sorts the formation. 4-4-2 isn't for us but a Hatem free role should be the way to go. Him and Carver will crack it. Keep the faith.

No shame losing to Chelsea away. Get a win on Thursday and do Villa. Sorted.

:aye:

Hopefully simpsons last game. Distrubution is the worst i can remember seeing

His distribution is pants, but I;ve seen worse by a fella in a black n white top.

It must be something in the sir name as Mark Stimson was very bad although he played on the left.

My thoughts on this match FWIW. On the whole I thought we went there with the right attitude and a positive game plan, it wasn't executed properly on all front and here's why I think that was -

Our midfield and forwards failed to work together throughout, the forward balls to Ba and Cisse often found their target but left them isolated with no direct outs. Cabaye in particular didn't play well in this respect. On top of this I thought Chelsea defended well.

Our defense as a unit did well for much of the game, but gave them a few chances through lapses and poor positioning. To this end Santon was the weak link. His positioning and decision making was off. He made a lot of forward runs that didn't help and consequently left him out of position. On the other side I thought Simpson had a reasonable game. Chelsea are a tough team to play with Hazard and Torres in particular having the accelleration and control to burn past defenders. This meant that our defense - Taylor in particular game them a little too much space.

Anita's let out for the penalty was soft and annoying, but was still a penalty. We can hope that he'll learn that in a league like this forwards are conditioned to play for that inside the box so stick your leg out if you're not 99% sure you'll get the ball is a bad decision. Other than this though he looks like an enthusiastic, skilled player with good accelleration and a great engine who should be of immense value across what should be a long season.

Ben Arfa again showed the close control, skill and reading of the defense that makes him such a threat, shame that he kind of shanked it when he worked himself some space on his preferred left. He looks right on top of his game at the minute, making the right passing options depending where he is on the pitch (ie. not trying to dribble it out from the back).

Overall I'm not too disappointed with the way the game played out, as others have noted three points from these two league fixtures is a solid start to the season especially if we turn over the Greek side at home.

Krul 7

Simpson 6

Colo 7.5

Taylor 6.5

Santon 5.5

HBA 8

Jonas 7

Cabaye 5.5

Anita 6.5

Ba 6.5

Cisse 6

Subs weren't really on long enough to rate.

Edited by OTF

My thoughts on this match FWIW. On the whole I thought we went there with the right attitude and a positive game plan, it wasn't executed properly on all front and here's why I think that was -

Our midfield and forwards failed to work together throughout, the forward balls to Ba and Cisse often found their target but left them isolated with no direct outs. Cabaye in particular didn't play well in this respect. On top of this I thought Chelsea defended well.

Our defense as a unit did well for much of the game, but gave them a few chances through lapses and poor positioning. To this end Santon was the weak link. His positioning and decision making was off. He made a lot of forward runs that didn't help and consequently left him out of position. On the other side I thought Simpson had a reasonable game. Chelsea are a tough team to play with Hazard and Torres in particular having the accelleration and control to burn past defenders. This meant that our defense - Taylor in particular game them a little too much space.

Anita's let out for the penalty was soft and annoying, but was still a penalty. We can hope that he'll learn that in a league like this forwards are conditioned to play for that inside the box so stick your leg out if you're not 99% sure you'll get the ball is a bad decision. Other than this though he looks like an enthusiastic, skilled player with good accelleration and a great engine who should be of immense value across what should be a long season.

Ben Arfa again showed the close control, skill and reading of the defense that makes him such a threat, shame that he kind of shanked it when he worked himself some space on his preferred left. He looks right on top of his game at the minute, making the right passing options depending where he is on the pitch (ie. not trying to dribble it out from the back).

Overall I'm not too disappointed with the way the game played out, as others have noted three points from these two league fixtures is a solid start to the season especially if we turn over the Greek side at home.

Krul 7

Simpson 6

Colo 7.5

Taylor 6.5

Santon 5.5

HBA 8

Jonas 7

Cabaye 5.5

Anita 6.5

Ba 6.5

Cisse 6

Subs weren't really on long enough to rate.

Same persistant issue as last year - the disconnect between a deep central midfield and the strikers. Only when Hatem wanders centrally that we look more cogent. None of the strikers seemed to want to link the attack and drop off. Needs addressing.

I think santon is good going forward and on the ball, and most of the time does well defensively, struggled to cope with hazard yesterday, still he was by no means shit yesterday. He seems to second guess himself which causes himself problems. Still think he is quality. Danny Simpson did alright yesterday, better than he did against spurs anyway. However his crossing is shit gets it in the right area, but floats the fucker in if he flattens the cross out could be more effective. Cabaye and cissé look to need match practice, still a decent performance against a very good chelsea outfit. Roll on Thursday!

Same persistant issue as last year - the disconnect between a deep central midfield and the strikers. Only when Hatem wanders centrally that we look more cogent. None of the strikers seemed to want to link the attack and drop off. Needs addressing.

Nail on head parky. I wonder if the problem is the formation or the fact that neither cisse nor ba are good at link up? If its the latter then we need to reevaluate if we should be starting both or rather have 1 up top and have ben arfa working the channels perhaps?