You MUST go...

snakehips

...to the Baltic.

Went this afternoon with mrs and miss hips and the art on display is truly mesmerising.

The best exhibit was, and I don't lie, a half-burnt matchstick. :lol:

Yes, a half-burnt fuckin' matchstick hanging over the edge of a formica shelf. Nowt else!!

Shite.

Christ, I'm getting old. ;)

I don't like "installations"

some modern art paintings I enjoy, some I hate but I at least can respect the artist to a degree... this "Pile of Bricks" polava is just a Pile of Shit in my eyes.

Are you sure someone hadnt just walked past while trying to sneak a tab?

74751[/snapback]

;) I knew it was an exhibit as there was a label next to it. Probably worth a couple of grand.

On the way out, there was a bottle in the doorway. We couldn't decide if that was an exhibit or not. :lol:

Fuckin' shite.

At least there weren't any uni-cyclists getting in the way or I would have flipped :D;)

I don't like "installations"

some modern art paintings I enjoy, some I hate but I at least can respect the artist to a degree... this "Pile of Bricks" polava is just a Pile of Shit in my eyes.

74752[/snapback]

I think the Pile of Shit's already been done hasnt it? Chris Ofilli (sp?) Turner Prize winning entry.

74751[/snapback]

;) I knew it was an exhibit as there was a label next to it. Probably worth a couple of grand.

On the way out, there was a bottle in the doorway. We couldn't decide if that was an exhibit or not. :lol:

Fuckin' shite.

At least there weren't any uni-cyclists getting in the way or I would have flipped :razz::D

74757[/snapback]

yup the bottles an installation. ;)

total shite the whole thing.

74751[/snapback]

Fuckin' shite.

At least there weren't any uni-cyclists getting in the way or I would have flipped :razz::D

74757[/snapback]

yup the bottles an installation. ;)

total shite the whole thing.

74845[/snapback]

My curiousity has just turned to despair.

*thinks he should get into this 'art' stuff as it seems easy money (easier than being a gigolo)*

Edited by snakehips

My curiousity has just turned to despair.

*thinks he should get into this 'art' stuff as it seems easy money (easier than being a gigolo)*

74850[/snapback]

piece of piss mate, I've just spilt the ashtray onto me cheese sarnie, thats gotta be worth a hundred grand of Saatchii's money anyday.

My daughter brought down a slightly burnt matchstick after we got home claiming it was art.

'Utter shit,' I told her (seeing as I'm an expert on this now) 'it's not burnt enough.' :lol: (should that smilie have a beret on to be an art expert one?)

And your ashtray, was it the right plastic I wonder? If so, could be worth a bit I reckon. ;)

My daughter brought down a slightly burnt matchstick after we got home claiming it was art.

'Utter shit,' I told her (seeing as I'm an expert on this now) 'it's not burnt enough.'  :lol: (should that smilie have a beret on to be an art expert one?)

And your ashtray, was it the right plastic I wonder? If so, could be worth a bit I reckon. ;)

74873[/snapback]

philistine!

China dear boy, china.

'Utter shit,' I told her (seeing as I'm an expert on this now) 'it's not burnt enough.'  :lol: (should that smilie have a beret on to be an art expert one?)

74873[/snapback]

philistine!

China dear boy, china.

74876[/snapback]

Oh dear! Haven't you heard? Plastic is a la mode these days. Your 'work' has just been devalued by a few thousand k ;)

I went to the British Art Show at the Baltic a while ago. A couple of the films were canny but most of the stuff was shite. In my considered, pretentious opinion that is.

Is it not pretentious enough to go to an art gallery in the first place, let alone comment on the pretentiousness of the things found in there!?

You wont find me in the Baltic or any other gallery, well not unless someone does an exhibition entitled "Vaginal explorations".

Is it not pretentious enough to go to an art gallery in the first place, let alone comment on the pretentiousness of the things found in there!?

You wont find me in the Baltic or any other gallery, well not unless someone does an exhibition entitled "Vaginal explorations".

74996[/snapback]

I'm admitting I am pretentious though. Most of the exhibits were simply shit :lol:

74996[/snapback]

I'm admitting I am pretentious though. Most of the exhibits were simply shit :lol:

74998[/snapback]

Good for you, I wonder if anyone else will admit to it?

Tbh I struggle to class anything other than a painting as art! So a sheep sliced in half or whatever the fuck that Damien Hurst produced is just a joke to me.

74996[/snapback]

74998[/snapback]

Tbh I struggle to class anything other than a painting as art! So a sheep sliced in half or whatever the fuck that Damien Hurst produced is just a joke to me.

75003[/snapback]

I quite like art but in terms of visual art I would agree that paintings are my favourite although some scultures can be amazing too. I actually really like the one at the Gate, although I'm not sure if the location is the best to appreciate it.

74996[/snapback]

74998[/snapback]

75003[/snapback]

I will happily admit to it. I am a big fan of moderrn art, the more it winds people up the more I like it. Damien Hurst sheep is just a modern take on "still life" btw

74996[/snapback]

74998[/snapback]

75003[/snapback]

I will happily admit to it. I am a big fan of moderrn art, the more it winds people up the more I like it. Damien Hurst sheep is just a modern take on "still life" btw

75017[/snapback]

OK so what's your take on that wifey who filled a gallery full of white boxes then?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though. If someone likes the look of something then does it matter if it's classiscal or modern art? Art is supposed to make you think, to debate the point (if there even is one). Certain art I don't get, but that doesn't neccesarily make it crap or a waste of time. I remember the installation at the Baltic those two sisters did, basically video stills of industrial buildings, but I liked it a lot. I can't really explain why I did, but I did. Maybe this just illustrates that I'm thick as pig's shit and easily pleased. :lol:

Edited by sweetleftpeg

OK so what's your take on that wifey who filled a gallery full of white boxes then?

75022[/snapback]

Piss-taking is an art form tbh.

75022[/snapback]

75027[/snapback]

I had heard a rumour on the art grapevine like that she'd ordered a few white boxes to transport her stuff to the gallery but put a few too many zero's on order and thought fuck it i'll just hoy them about the place and call it art!

74996[/snapback]

74998[/snapback]

75003[/snapback]

75017[/snapback]

75022[/snapback]

An interesting take on the importance placed on packaging and appearance in this increasingly consumerist society, and at the same time an ironic comment on waste ans space

75022[/snapback]

75027[/snapback]

I had heard a rumour on the art grapevine like that she'd ordered a few white boxes to transport her stuff to the gallery but put a few too many zero's on order and thought fuck it i'll just hoy them about the place and call it art!

75031[/snapback]

I was just giving you the heads-up on her next exhibit, urine samples. :lol:

A bit more colourful at least.

74996[/snapback]

74998[/snapback]

75003[/snapback]

75017[/snapback]

75022[/snapback]

An interesting take on the importance placed on packaging and appearance in this increasingly consumerist society, and at the same time an ironic comment on waste ans space

75032[/snapback]

An interesting evaluation, pure bollocks in my mind though!