Newcastle United v Aston Villa

McFaul

Why do you think we gave away possession? The players were lazily passing to men in Villa shirts whilst absent-mindedly checking their nails?

If we had lost our first 2 games, we'd bring a lot of effort and intensity to our 3rd game.

There were several instances where the passing was haphazard and careless. Yes, Villa were well-drilled but we definitely helped them out massively. Once or twice we dawdled on the ball and weren't expecting them to hassle us. However you react to this by adapting your game, let them tire themselves out and then start making it difficult with more incisive passing. At no point did we slow the game down when they were busting a gut to get the ball back. We just punted it long or tried to find runs that players simply weren't making.

Colo was clean through but Cisse hit it too hard. That would've been a golden chance given Colo had another runner in support.

Krul punted it to Guzan every chance he got - it's no wonder we couldn't control the game and they capitalised.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were several instances where the passing was haphazard and careless. Yes, Villa were well-drilled but we definitely helped them out massively. Once or twice we dawdled on the ball and weren't expecting them to hassle us. However you react to this by adapting your game, let them tire themselves out and then start making it difficult with more incisive passing. At no point did we slow the game down when they were busting a gut to get the ball back. We just punted it long or tried to find runs that players simply weren't making.

Colo was clean through but Cisse hit it too hard. That would've been a golden chance given Colo had another runner in support.

Krul punted it to Guzan every chance he got - it's no wonder we couldn't control the game and they capitalised.

Our pass accuracy yesterday was 84%. Better than the game we won against Spurs (80%) - 390 attempted compared with 404.

Tiote was 83% accurate against Spurs compared with Anita (who passed more than anyone else for us) being 80% accurate yesterday.

Perhaps a few instances of poor possession loss rankled with you more than the actual quantity of misplaced passes.

If anything I think it was our tackling that suffered in the absence of Tiote more than the passing. Only 6 players actually made a succesful tackle for us yesterday. Only 3 managed more than 1. 11 tackles all day compared to Villa's 30.

Back from the airport now, was a great day out. Favourite moment apart from the goal was when Bent got it square in the face. Had a passionate xxl geordie next to me who kept screaming,and making the atmosphere. :lol:

Id like to us drop a striker for a game to be honest, see how Ben Arfa fares behind. Cisse has looked a bit lazy lately so I'd bench him. Problem with having them 2 up top aswell, none of them are really quick enough to break through on the counter very often. Also it looks very much like they keep standing on top of each other, they seem reluctant to go out wide and help out receiving the ball at times. Would be nice to see an attacking 3 of Marveaux, Benny and Jonas interchanging positions.

Also liked Vurnon on the fb position, he did seem a lot better going forward than Simpson does, and hasn't been that much of a presence in the middle as of yet, still think he will come good and be a very good player for us eventually.

Thought Santon, Colo and Taylor were immense, and Bigi came on and did a lot better than I'd expect him to.

Edited by nortoon

As I said earlier I really believe Tiote is a massive miss when he doesn't play. Not only does he get around his zone quick he puts a bit of fear out there which causes mistakes. :lol:

Look a bit soft without him like. Gutierrez was excellent at putting in a similar sort of shift though on Sunday. Put himself about, carried the ball well, won some dangerous free-kicks. Absolutely undroppable him like.