Who do you as a Toon see as rivals and friends?

3bdelilah

Well of course Sunderland is the biggest rival and Boro second, but are there more (maybe lesser in tension of course) rivals for Newcastle? I've read it also gets pretty heated against the Spurs, Liverpool and Man Utd.. is that true? Also, are there friendships with Newcastle supporters and supporters of other teams? Seems to happen a lot in Italy (Inter Lazio the biggest example) but not uncommon in other countries as well: Schalke Nürnberg, for example.

I think this is the Italian lad studying in Durham by the way, before people make dicks of themselves. ;)

In that case we need an international rendition of the customary newbie photo of him holding up a sign saying 'Wynn's-a-your dolmio day?'

I think our fierce rivals are Sunderland, and that's it really. However there are simmering rivalries with other clubs. There's a proper dislike of Aston Villa, Tottenham, Everton and Liverpool from a large proportion of Newcastle fans. The likes of Boro and Leeds would probably love us to passionately hate them but both are insignificant.

Is add Man Utd to that list as well. They have a dislike of us over the whole Shearer thing. Probably a little from when we were challenging under KK. They're an odd club. One I have respect for as a club and what they have achieved but with the biggest set of wankers as fans.

Sunderland

Obviously Boro when we're in the same division but it's always been like an elephant putting up with an annoying fly and occasionally swatting it with it's trunk when it becomes too much of a pest.

Leeds. Not so much now but Leeds had a reputation and were a biggish Northern club so games against us used to put their noses out of joint (sometimes literally) when NUFC came to town with thousands of pissed up Geordies for a 'local-ish' game for us and a reminder to Leeds of 'who we were, shall we tell 'em?' (Yes we did!). ;)

Man Utd/City - See Leeds really. Man City only had a support to shout about and references about NUFC's support used to grate on them as did KK never ceasing to talk about NUFC when he managed them. Both Manchester clubs knew to expect a big, (and I mean big), travelling support arriving on their doorstep when we played them and there was always a great atmosphere. Southern clubs really don't cut the mustard in this aspect, when I say 'atmoshere' I don't just mean singing I meant everything from tension, laughs, hatred and the back and forth between supporters. Midlands can be lumped in with the Southerners FWIW.

Liverpool - Just a machine when I was a kid and you wanted to beat them but usually got hammered, a lot of the hatred now towards Liverpool seems to be internet based as when I meet them they're alright enough, although the gloryhunters don't help them as well as the media love-in and disproportionate representation they get with ex-players sticking up for them. Their day has well and truly gone.

Spurs, West Ham, Chelsea - More down to individual incidents like the petrol bomb/showing them that they couldn't just pick off the odd lone Geordie getting off a train when he's surrounded by blokes in donkey jackets, taches and fresh from the yards with a thirst and an ingrained distrust of 'Shandy drinking puffs' :D

I hate mackems and everything sunderland.

I also have a dislike for chelsea fans ever since the head-hunters attacked the Farmers Rest in the 80s, fuckers slashed a few Mags and hippy's who used the front bar of The Farmers, football was in the back bar them days when fans were waiting for 5pm pub opening.

And west ham as well, hate them fuckers, especially the tosser who chucked the brick that hit me on the heed at the QPR away game 1st game in london after the petrol bomb.

mackems

chelsea

west ham in that order.

I'm not an Italian, I live in Krul's birthplace. CleeToonFan got it right, I don't think a lot of Italians support our local club. :lol: But there is some kind of friendship with Juventus (and Swansea), though.

I know you'd probably piss on Boro nowadays, but I mentioned them like more traditional rivals. Thanks for the serious answers. :P And to the comedians: up yours

I'm not an Italian, I live in Krul's birthplace. CleeToonFan got it right, I don't think a lot of Italians support our local club. :lol: But there is some kind of friendship with Juventus (and Swansea), though.

I know you'd probably piss on Boro nowadays, but I mentioned them like more traditional rivals. Thanks for the serious answers. :P And to the comedians: up yours

Boro with us are sorta like you and Ajax. You hate Ajax but they're not bothered? Kinda the same. Apart from they don't brick our buses ;)

I'm an OOT so it doesn't seem right for me to claim Sunderland as my most hated club. I'm not a wannabe Geordie or anything, never pretended otherwise. Knew a couple of SAFC fans in recent years who always had it in for me because I support Newcastle but have no personal ties to the area. Couldn't even engage them in friendly banter around the derbies. Felt the need to question me every time we talked football.

I've supported NUFC for so long that of course I'm hardly Sunderland's biggest fan but I dislike the likes of Chelsea and Liverpool a lot more.

I'm an OOT so it doesn't seem right for me to claim Sunderland as my most hated club. I'm not a wannabe Geordie or anything, never pretended otherwise. Knew a couple of SAFC fans in recent years who always had it in for me because I support Newcastle but have no personal ties to the area. Couldn't even engage them in friendly banter around the derbies. Felt the need to question me every time we talked football.

I've supported NUFC for so long that of course I'm hardly Sunderland's biggest fan but I dislike the likes of Chelsea and Liverpool a lot more.

I'm similar, but then I've never met a Mackem I liked (I'm sure there's some) so from a personal standpoint I do hate them. But nowhere near as much as Liverpool.

I seriously couldn't give two shades of shite about Boro. Honestly, couldn't care less. Their fans are like a small child who wants you to watch what they're doing yet you couldn't give a shit and just stand there saying 'yes son..that's nice..well done' while never actually looking up from your paper. I'll never recognise it as a derby.

Edited by sweetleftpeg