US Open Final

catmag

eh? you couldn't watch the US open in the US???? i suppose there were no yanks in it, maybe that's why. my brother lives in california and he said they didn't show any olympic event that didn't feature a yank

Think it was because it got shunted to the Monday and they wouldn't change their schedules and it was first Monday night football of the year as well. still couldn't believe it wasn't on anywhere mind !!!!

Was in Houston during the Olympics and your brother is just about right, they did show both Mo Farrahs races and had big build up for him, probably because he trained out here and his best pal/training partner is the American guy who came second in the 10,000

They also showed Murrays gold medal match in full to be fair

Edited by Toonpack

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Winning a grand slam ( there are 4 to win,as in 4 golf majors ) is nowhere near as hard as winning the Tour de France,so stop getting carried away.He faced neebody to get to the final remember.

Is that what they put in brackets next to his name on the trophy?

This

Had to "watch" it via. BBC text thingy, am

in Florida on hols 500+ cable channels and it wasn't on any of them !!!!

Odd we got it on CBS or NBC (can't remember which) up here in New Jersey, the Monday night American football was put on ESPN here. I know yank TV is wildly different in each state, shite it wasn't on down there like.

Agree with Gloom's brother as well the Olympic coverage over here was pathetic, I was excited to watch the men's decathlon and since it had 2 yanks going for gold I thought it'd be on but got in from work each day to be met by a pathetic movie trailer esque montage of both them performing then 5 hours of them 2 beach volleyball players :lol:.

Watched the final 2 sets as I got home late, cracking finish Djokovic was really struggling towards the end and tbh Murray was finding it tough too as anyone would 5 hours into a tennis game. Big congratulations to Murray chuffed for him.

Winning a grand slam ( there are 4 to win,as in 4 golf majors ) is nowhere near as hard as winning the Tour de France,so stop getting carried away.He faced neebody to get to the final remember.

I don't know how you can compare the two. Winning TDF and winning a major in tennis are no mean feats and are both the top honours in their respective sports but its chalk and cheese. And he faced neebody? Fuck that he beat everyone he needed too and deserves all the credit he's getting. Its obvious how hard he trains and he had the legs in the 5th while joker died on his ass.

I agree,it is more high profile .He had 4 chances to win a grand slam this year.You get one chance a year to win the Tour de France.I agree he failed to win any of the other grand slams by being runner up and reaching a semi final.

And he had that team of other players all trying their best to let him win.

Oh wait I got that the wrong way round.

I was reading his back story today and I never realised that Judy Murray walked out on the family when he was 10 and left the dad to raise him and his brother.

Never knew that either, especially as you always see her on camera but never his dad.

The Tour de France is THE race to win. The US Open is a grand slam.There are 4 grand slams to win,with none bigger than the other.There are 4 majors to win at golf.No one major is bigger than the other. Well done Murray for winning one of the 4 grand slams .

Wimbledon is the tdf for tennis, oroginal and best.

the term "grand slam" is misused all the time. A "grand slam" used to be the term for winning all 4 major tennis tournaments in one year, and I think only Rod Laver has done it, although am not entirely sure on that.Lazy journo's use the word "slam" when they mean "major tournamnet"

the equivalent in cycling is the tdf,vuelta, giro and whatever the next most prsetigious one is in one season....anyone ever done that?

The thing about Murray's and Wiggins's acheivements outside of the Olympics this year is no Brit has ever done what Wiggins has done, and the last Brit to have done what Murray has done was so long ago that its pretty much irrelevent (30 odd years before the "open" era in tennis began). So both are equal on that score iyam. Both won Olympic gold this summer. So its tricky to judge whos done better this summer. If Wiggins and his mates hadnt fucked the road race up he'd be top dog. Neither of the wins outside of the Olympics were on the BBC either, so theres no advantage there. Gonna be tight for SPOTY between them. Thing is, you just know they'll be a huge internet campaign north of the border to vote for Murray. Wiggins will have the support of serious cyclists and birds who fancy him, so I think a nation of 5 million sports' fans will shade it v veiwers of a popular yet still minority sport.

They were setting up for Cavendish to take the gold, weren't they? It isn't a team event iirc.

It's not a pure team sport, but they race in teams and it is very tactical within the race with the team riding as a unit to support the primary rider, setting pace etc it's a million miles away from everyone just jumping on their bikes and seeing who can go the fastest.

The TDF is a series of races over weeks, you can win the thing without actually winning any of the individual races/stages, it's futile comparing sporting achievements across different sports, each should be admired on it's own merits.

The only thinng I would add is the achievements of Murray and Wiggins put the efforts of the so called athlete footballers, who get tired after two games a week, to shame. The Murray djocovic first set lasted as all but 3 minutes as long as a football match and they played four more, at an astonishing level, straight after