Maritimo v Newcastle United --- 20/09/2012

Christmas Tree

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

honestly, what's the point in busting a gut to finish in a european position only to send out a reserve side every fixture? i understand the need to rotate the squad a little but we're looking at a second string side here. this is a chance of a major bit of silverware here if we take it seriously. at this rate early elimination is more likely.

I know people are moaning about playing a weak side but why? Why moan?

We have young talent coming through that will gain massively from these experiences.

I'd actually quite like to see Pardew take a total gamble and start a couple in the back 4 aswell. Tavernier and Ferguson.

-------------------Harper

Tavernier---Willo---Perch---Ferguson

-------------Bigi--------Gosling

Obertan--------Vuckic-------Sameobi

-------------------Shola

Marveaux, Amalfitano, Abeid and Campbell could get a chance off the bench if its going well.

honestly, what's the point in busting a gut to finish in a european position only to send out a reserve side every fixture? i understand the need to rotate the squad a little but we're looking at a second string side here. this is a chance of a major bit of silverware here if we take it seriously. at this rate early elimination is more likely.

Couldn't agree more.

We should be playing our strongest team possible to try and progress and win a trophy for the first time in 43 years.

Whats the point in entering the competition if we don't take it seriously. To me its more important than finishing 7th or 8th in the PL - no silverware for that. Can't understand why so many people think its acceptable to play a weakened team and to not take these cup competitions seriously.

We will never win a trophy again with this sort of approach. Its also a disgrace to the travelling fans.

It's not as simple as "not taking it seriously". It's a balancing act. We don't have s strong enough team to field our best 11 in every match, it's just not feasible and this is the case for most clubs of our size. If we played our best team in this match, we'd probably have to weaken the squad for the Norwich match instead. Liverpool and Spurs will put out weakened teams tomorrow as well.

Maritomo for all their quality are not going to be as good as most clubs in our league so I can understand not needing to play our best possible 11 against them for this reason too.

I'm sure the club are taking it as seriously as possible. It's not like we're putting out a reserve squad - it's a mix of both really. We're also missing a bunch of usual starters (now including the ill Cisse and the banned Ben Arfa), so we're forced to play young players in this team at least.

Edited by Monroe Transfer

It's not as simple as "not taking it seriously". It's a balancing act. We don't have s strong enough team to field our best 11 in every match, it's just not feasible and this is the case for most clubs of our size. If we played our best team in this match, we'd probably have to weaken the squad for the Norwich match instead. Liverpool and Spurs will put out weakened teams tomorrow as well.

Maritomo for all their quality and not going to be as good as most clubs in our league so I can understand not needing to play our best possible 11 against them for this reason too.

I'm sure the club are taking it as seriously as possible. It's not like we're putting out a reserve squad - it's a mix of both really. We're also missing a bunch of usual starters (now including the ill Cisse and the banned Ben Arfa), so we're forced to play young players in this team at least.

Well put. 7 games in 20 days means we have to rotate the squad around. We've got to mix it up and bring in the youth and fringe players to get them game time and valuable experience, especially with our squad being so small.

Well put. 7 games in 20 days means we have to rotate the squad around. We've got to mix it up and bring in the youth and fringe players to get them game time and valuable experience, especially with our squad being so small.

What I'm saying is we should be taking this cup competition just as seriously as the Premier League - we won't win the premier league or finish in the top 4 so lets prioritise the cups and try and win some silverware - if that means finishing a few places lower in the premier league then so what

What I'm saying is we should be taking this cup competition just as seriously as the Premier League - we won't win the premier league or finish in the top 4 so lets prioritise the cups and try and win some silverware - if that means finishing a few places lower in the premier league then so what

Idiot.

I wouldn't want to sacrifice a chance to challenge for a CL place just to keep the likes of you happy playin our best 11 in the early stages of the cups.

I'd rather we kept our strongest 11 marching on in the league, fighting that front whilst seeing how well and how far a mix of fringe players and youth can take us...then release the big guns in the latter stages.

Good squad utilisation in my opinion.

We can still win something whilst keeping key players fit and giving some prospects a chance to prove themselves.

Idiot.

I wouldn't want to sacrifice a chance to challenge for a CL place just to keep the likes of you happy playin our best 11 in the early stages of the cups.

I'd rather we kept our strongest 11 marching on in the league, fighting that front whilst seeing how well and how far a mix of fringe players and youth can take us...then release the big guns in the latter stages.

Good squad utilisation in my opinion.

We can still win something whilst keeping key players fit and giving some prospects a chance to prove themselves.

Twat

I would rather win a trophy than challenge for 4th in the league and qualify for a competition we have no chance of winning

Harper

Anita Taylor Williamson Santon

Bigi

Obertan Gosling Perch Marveaux

Shola

That side should be good enough to beat (or at the very least not lose) away to Maritimo, with Ferguson, Sameobi, Campbell, Amalfitano we'd have plenty of invention and directness on the bench to stretch the closing periods of the game.