Maritimo v Newcastle United --- 20/09/2012

Christmas Tree

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it's a reserve team but I'm still buzzing for this tonight. Love it when we play in Europe. The team should be out to prove they can cut it in the first XI so hopefully we will put on a decent show. I suppose it's pointless having a squad of 30 if we only ever play 16 of them

I know it's a reserve team but I'm still buzzing for this tonight. Love it when we play in Europe. The team should be out to prove they can cut it in the first XI so hopefully we will put on a decent show. I suppose it's pointless having a squad of 30 if we only ever play 16 of them

Hopefully we don't look as nervous as we did in the qualifiers. I know some of there are only bairns, yet at times it looked really edgy.

Really like the look of Bigirimina in his early days those. Seems to have an old head on him for such young shoulders.

I think there should be enough cool heads on the pitch to calm the more nervous.

Shola for starters and then his brother is playing like an old pro at the minute. Ferguson if starts isn't a flapper and a few others too.

For me it's not knowing much about their team and how decent they are.

Just had a text from downtown Funchal.....I could post how many we've taken, but I'll leave it open to debate after the game ;)

Beer 2.50 euros a pint, natives freindly...

50 I reckon, ridiculously hard place to get to.

Just had a look where this place is on the map, further south than most of inhabited North Africa, and Porto is nearer to Bristol, South Wales and Southern Ireland, than it is to Madeira. Ronaldo is from this gaff too isn't he?

TEAM NEWS

Midfielder Rodrigo Antonio and defender Ruben Ferreira are suspended for Maritimo. Portuguese midfielder Semedo and Brazilian Olberdam are both out due to injury while goalkeeper Welligton has been drafted into the squad from the B team.

Newcastle travel to Portugal without either of their two star strikers. Demba Ba is absent despite scoring twice in Monday's 2-2 draw at Everton, while Papiss Cisse misses out due to illness. Newcastle have compensated for their absence by welcoming back Sammy Ameobi following his recovery from injury and adding 17-year-old Adam Campbell to their squad. Goalkeeper Tim Krul is absent with an elbow problem while Danny Simpson (hamstring), Cheick Tiote (calf) and Fabricio Coloccini (hamstring) are also out.

MANAGER QUOTES

Pedro Martins: "They beat Tottenham, which was a good result, and then they lost at Chelsea, which is normal because Chelsea are a very strong team. They played on Monday night and had a good second half, they were very, very strong. They play in a very British way and it will be a very, very difficult game."

Alan Pardew on suggestions Demba Ba is unhappy: "That's just people needing to say things they shouldn't say, really, but it doesn't really affect me and Demba. We have got a good relationship. The bottom line is you have to get your players to play at their best and sometimes there are different methods of doing that."

MATCH FACTS

Newcastle are appearing in Europe for the first time since 2006/07, when they reached the last 16 of the Europa League.

The Magpies have never won in Portugal in a European competition (D2 L2).

However Newcastle have lost just two of their nine meetings with Portuguese teams in Europe (W4 D3 L2).

Maritimo have won both previous matches at home to English sides in Europe: 1-0 against Leeds in 1998 and 2001.

In six previous UEFA Cup/Europa League appearances, Maritimo have only once made it past the first stage (1994/95).

All but one (the first) of Maritimo’s seven games at home in European competition (exc. Qualifiers) have finished 1-0 (four wins, two defeats).

Newcastle have never lost a group stage match in the UEFA Cup/Europa League (W6 D2).

The Magpies have won eight of their last 11 matches away from home in Europe (exc. Qualifiers).

MATCH ODDS

Maritimo 11/10, Newcastle 5/2, Draw 9/4