Maritimo v Newcastle United --- 20/09/2012

Christmas Tree

There's a bit of a gulf when it comes to Porto, Sporting and Benfica compared to the rest of the Portuguese league tbf. Maritimo were shite, we just couldn't tuck away any chances.

We should've won, we didn't take our chances well enough. Shola really should've stuck a leg out when he knelt down and tried to nut it in, and he was very unlucky not to score the one that hit the post - it was a well worked effort.

I liked the look of Santon today, he's starting to come on nicely now that he's seemingly injury-free. Bigi m.o.m. for me, the definite 'reserve' who is looking most likely to break into the first team. No doubt CT will be jizzing over Shane again, bet we'll be hearing about the turn that won a free kick for a while. ;)

Didnt see the second half marra so know nowt about Shane. :(

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to hear of a positive performance from Elliot for once. Adequate result given how many players were rested - though we really need to get a win on the weekend to have justified that approach.

So you're just winding yourself up because of a hypothetical situation that even you don't think is likely to happen?

I have calmed down a bit now. I think the reason I was a bit annoyed is the game didn't kick off till 1am, and didnt finish till about 3am. I had to be up for work at 7am.

So I guess I was really annoyed with that more than the result.

Good result considering we were away. Elliot was very very good and made some crucial saves. Going forward very quiet and you can see the difference when Ben Arfa, Jonas is playing compared to Obertan or Marveaux

Ferguson wasn't on for that long so barely touched the ball. Nice little turn which drew a foul as soon as he came on.

Sammy looked really bright when he came on.

Cheers Johnny. Cant believe Sammy didnt get a start after his performance for the reserves. Guess he's trying to keep Marveaux and Obertan happy.

Sammy's run where he danced through two players then squared it across the edge of the area was quality. Didn't fare so well after that mind, needs to work on his control a bit. He looked very bright though, should be given a sub appearance or two if we're winning games in the league comfortably.

Although we've yet to have a comfortable league game yet this season...

I enjoyed the match and thought we were unlucky not to win. :lol: at the people saying it was boring and a shit performance

I wouldn't say it was a shit performance, I thought it was ok on a poor pitch in very warm weather. But it was a very dull match in the second half, had been anyone else I'd have turned it off.

I thought Elliot did well but Williamson was absolutely gash and Vukic never really got into the game. Everyone we ok but nowt special which I would expect given that this is not a team that is playing together regularly and you had a few players just coming back from injury.

It's a decent first result though and I'm sure if we can win our home games (in which I expect to see a few more senior players) we'll progress.

Win the home games, draw the away games, sorted. Thought the performance was canny from most barring a few; Vuckic couldn't get into it, Obertan could only be arsed for 10 minutes but looked dangerous when he did, some of the defending was shocking but the hoofs were better than usual thanks to Shola making their centre halves shit it. He should have scored like.

There's no way Abeid offers less than Gosling btw. Gosling was alongside Bigi and Bigi looked twice the player.

Edited by Ayatollah Hermione

Win the home games, draw the away games, sorted. Thought the performance was canny from most barring a few; Vuckic couldn't get into it, Obertan could only be arsed for 10 minutes but looked dangerous when he did, some of the defending was shocking but the hoofs were better than usual thanks to Shola making their centre halves shit it. He should have scored like.

There's no way Abeid offers less than Gosling btw. Gosling was alongside Bigi and Bigi looked twice the player.

I agree.

Abeid looks more of a threat going forward like, think AP wants to give Gosling one last shot at stepping up at the toon.

I think we us having a fair few midfielders on the books i'd be more inclined to let Gosling go out on loan rather than Abeid.

I wouldnt mind an attacking 6 of...

---------------Shola

Marveaux---Vuckic---Amalfitano

-----------Bigi---Abeid

...in europe.

Sameobi, Campbell and Obertan to get a shot at it too. Big guns saved for bigger games and the PL.

Cheers Johnny. Cant believe Sammy didnt get a start after his performance for the reserves. Guess he's trying to keep Marveaux and Obertan happy.

Also Sammy played for the reserves. He's got to manage energy levels of the younger lads and 15-30 minutes at the end of a game is all right for the young'uns

I actually quite like the teams we've been putting out, the quality of the play obviously isn't as high but I look forward to seeing how our younger/back up lads get on.

Adds an extra level of interest into what can be relatively duller affairs than league games.

And if we get to say the last 16, I'm sure we'd start taking it a lot more seriously.

I actually quite like the teams we've been putting out, the quality of the play obviously isn't as high but I look forward to seeing how our younger/back up lads get on.

Adds an extra level of interest into what can be relatively duller affairs than league games.

And if we get to say the last 16, I'm sure we'd start taking it a lot more seriously.

Me too.

Why bring in talented prospects for them to only progress so far in the reserves?

I personally like our approach where we give them a good chance in the cups during the earlier stages and then bring in a few blue chip players should we progress.

Gutted. Made the effort to get back to watch this match. Empty stadium, reserve team, poor game, very few Newcastle fans (and who can blame them).

Its not what dreams are made of is it

I would rather we were not in the competiton - if the club can't take it seriously why should we?

I hope the club will apologise to the 100 or so fans who paid £400+ to watch the reserves

Still, we must concentrate on trying to finish 6th in the league so that we can qualify for the Europa League next season

Who are you to say they're not taking it seriously?

Do you seriously expect the club to play our best 11 in every match no matter how congested the fixtures are in any given period? Never mind the fact that so many of our best players are/were injured/suspended.

If the fans who paid £xx to travel abroad feel aggrieved then fair enough, but it's not like Pardew didn't make it clear that in the earlier rounds (against mostly poorer clubs don't forget, with a bit more luck we'd have won the game yesterday) we're going to field a lot of the younger lads. Spurs and Liverpool will/have too, it's the same for most clubs of our stature against sides like Maritomo. I expect a better 11 against Bordeaux.