Maritimo v Newcastle United --- 20/09/2012

Christmas Tree

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brummiemag is a proper doylum man...There is a good few on here who have no idea about football.

I dont think its that simple.

Its great to get into Europe and then we put out shit teams so we can concentrate on the league and........get into Europe :lol:

I understand why we do what we do but I also understand Brummiemags frustration. Of course the ideal answer is to play a strong enough squad to get the result, but as we all know thats easier said than done.

Why not say this year we are happy to finish mid table because we are going to put everything into winning a cup? Why make the league the priority when we all know the best we will probably get is Europe again.

It is quite mad really.

I would be quite happy to finish 11th or 12th etc but win the Europa or win a cup.

I've been pronouncing this lot "Marryteemoh", but apprently it's Ma-Rittimoh.

Just thought I should let you all know.

Cheers for the tip, Fish. Only the other day I said to Jorge, my Portuguese butler, "I hope we fucking stuff you Marry-tee-mo bastards, tonight." without realising the literary faux pas I'd

just committed.

Next time I order breakfast from him I'll say Ma-rittamo.

:good:

I think people are complaining that it might be worth prioritising the competitions we have a chance of winning.

It's horses for courses, as MT said, the team out on Thursday was capable of winning the game. It's not like we're throwing these games. It's still a near cert that we'll qualify from the group, then we can begin to take it seriously.

It's horses for courses, as MT said, the team out on Thursday was capable of winning the game. It's not like we're throwing these games. It's still a near cert that we'll qualify from the group, then we can begin to take it seriously.

This is the thing, cant see either Maritimo or Bruges finishing above us, Stoke got out of an infinetly harder group last season. Tomorrow will be the test though, 3 points and all is good. Less than that and the knives will be getting drawn and its not even October yet :lol: Its tricky, the club will bedamned by some if they neglect the league and damned by others if they neglect Europe. They went for players that wouldve made (relative) success on all fronts more likely but couldnt get the deals done, all using the policy from last season that worked a treat. Tomorrow is a very big game for lots of reasons. As much as I admire Hughton, am not sure theyre the team they were under Lambert, and they were pretty mediocre under him tbh. If Cabaye is on his game and can get the ball to Cisse in the right areas I don't think theyll be able to live with us.

This is the thing, cant see either Maritimo or Bruges finishing above us, Stoke got out of an infinetly harder group last season. Tomorrow will be the test though, 3 points and all is good. Less than that and the knives will be getting drawn and its not even October yet :lol: Its tricky, the club will bedamned by some if they neglect the league and damned by others if they neglect Europe. They went for players that wouldve made (relative) success on all fronts more likely but couldnt get the deals done, all using the policy from last season that worked a treat. Tomorrow is a very big game for lots of reasons. As much as I admire Hughton, am not sure theyre the team they were under Lambert, and they were pretty mediocre under him tbh. If Cabaye is on his game and can get the ball to Cisse in the right areas I don't think theyll be able to live with us.

Spot on post that.

I understand the points that are being made but I suspect that even if we get through the group stage and into the knockout stages the club will still see the Premier League as the priority and will still not play full strength teams, which is wrong in my opinion.

With that approach we will never win a trophy again.

I would much rather concentrate on the cups and if we slip a few places in the league as a consequence then so what. Its not like we have a chance of winning the league or finishing in the top 4 and I don't think we will go down so lets prioritise the cups and try and win some silverware - we have a team good enough to do it

Granted I didn't see all the match but I'm sure they could have had several goals themselves but for two or three world class saves and a header off the line.

World Class saves. :lol:

Gigi Elliot.

Well I thought they were. The first virtually point black was as good a reaction save as you'll see. And the second double save was absolutely excellent goal keeping.

I've only watched them once in a pub with lots of chatty women yapping on but that's how I remembered them :)