Maritimo v Newcastle United --- 20/09/2012

Christmas Tree

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gosling and Obertan are dreadful. Whats the point of getting into a tournament like this and not giving it a go. I seriously hope we don't play a reserve team every game, or I doubt we will even get through the group stages.

Do you seriously think we will play a reserve team every game?

I think some fans get a bit above their station thinking we have a god given right to beat Maritimo on their own turf, inspite of them finishing 5th in their league and with us having a more or less second string team.

Granted the game wasn't an advert for sweet passing and accurate shooting football but like I said earlier, there is the pitch condition to take into account which makes the passing game harder with it bobbling about.

With lady luck smiling on us, we could have put the game to bed, yet we didn't concede either, so all in all I'm satisfied with a good away point.

With lady luck smiling on us, we could have put the game to bed, yet we didn't concede either, so all in all I'm satisfied with a good away point.

We need to see what the other two teams do there before judging tonight imo.

We need to see what the other two teams do there before judging tonight imo.

To be fair, we don;t need to worry what the other teams do there, all we need to worry about is doing the required business against the other teams.

One away day out the way and a big starting point for us.

I don't think we will, no. I think it is just because of the fixture congestion. If they did however it would be a pointless exercise in entering the competition.

So you're just winding yourself up because of a hypothetical situation that even you don't think is likely to happen?

I think some fans get a bit above their station thinking we have a god given right to beat Maritimo on their own turf, inspite of them finishing 5th in their league and with us having a more or less second string team.

Granted the game wasn't an advert for sweet passing and accurate shooting football but like I said earlier, there is the pitch condition to take into account which makes the passing game harder with it bobbling about.

There's a bit of a gulf when it comes to Porto, Sporting and Benfica compared to the rest of the Portuguese league tbf. Maritimo were shite, we just couldn't tuck away any chances.

We should've won, we didn't take our chances well enough. Shola really should've stuck a leg out when he knelt down and tried to nut it in, and he was very unlucky not to score the one that hit the post - it was a well worked effort.

I liked the look of Santon today, he's starting to come on nicely now that he's seemingly injury-free. Bigi m.o.m. for me, the definite 'reserve' who is looking most likely to break into the first team. No doubt CT will be jizzing over Shane again, bet we'll be hearing about the turn that won a free kick for a while. ;)

Obertan doesn't look a happy chappy does he. He looked like he snubbed Marveaux and also his body language in going off appeared to make him look like he knows his days are numbered, or am I reading a bit too much into it?

All in all, I'd say we should be disappointed at not taking 3 points, but it's not the end of the world.

Positives -

• Elliot looked very steady in goal today. Also looked fast off the blocks and seemed to command his box well
  • Santon just gets better with every game he plays
  • How good is Bigi? I think he's the only fringe player who is currently good enough to play in the premiership. Fantastic defensive work, great distribution. However, his set pieces need a bit of work
  • Shola was fantastic. His trickery was ace, held the ball up well, won a lot of headers. Only his finishing let him down

Meh -

• Amalfitano was so-so. Wasn't much of a threat but didn't do too much wrong either.
  • Vuckic needs to get involved more. When he gets involved I think he really looks class
  • Sameobi looked bright and threatening, but he really does need to release the ball faster and work on some of his decision-making
  • Taylor looked off the pace a couple of times. I don't think he has looked the same since his injury. He has looked a lot slower on the turn, doesn't get tight enough to strikers. Early days since his comeback, but still.
  • Obertan is quick as fook, but still can't cross the ball to save his life. He doesn't even look up to see where the attackers are, he just blindly crosses the ball in. Having said that, he was still a threat.

Poor -

• Perch is notttt a Right Back. He looked scared to put in a tackle and he looked even more scared to attack. He was effectively playing as a CB. He didn't support Oba or Marveaux even once
  • Williamson - Slow, made a few mistakes, punted a lot of useless long balls when there were easy passing options to be made

What pisses me off the most is why we continuously played lump ball, when we looked good when we kept the ball on the deck. There were countless times when a player (mostly Williamson and Perch) lumped a ball forward blindly when they had simple passing options.

I also hope we mix it up a bit and don't put out a second string team in all European games. We should look at playing Ben Arfa and Cisse/Ba. Let's be honest, if we were a little more clinical, we would have finished these lot off.

Edited by IndianMag

All in all, I'd say we should be disappointed at not taking 3 points, but it's not the end of the world.

Positives -

• Elliot looked very steady in goal today. Also looked fast off the blocks and seemed to command his box well
  • Santon just gets better with every game he plays
  • How good is Bigi? I think he's the only fringe player who is currently good enough to play in the premiership. Fantastic defensive work, great distribution. However, his set pieces need a bit of work
  • Shola was fantastic. His trickery was ace, held the ball up well, won a lot of headers. Only his finishing let him down

Meh -

• Amalfitano was so-so. Wasn't much of a threat but didn't do too much wrong either.
  • Vuckic needs to get involved more. When he gets involved I think he really looks class
  • Sameobi looked bright and threatening, but he really does need to release the ball faster and work on some of his decision-making
  • Taylor looked off the pace a couple of times. I don't think he has looked the same since his injury. He has looked a lot slower on the turn, doesn't get tight enough to strikers. Early days since his comeback, but still.
  • Obertan is quick as fook, but still can't cross the ball to save his life. He doesn't even look up to see where the attackers are, he just blindly crosses the ball in. Having said that, he was still a threat.

Poor -

• Perch is notttt a Right Back. He looked scared to put in a tackle and he looked even more scared to attack. He was effectively playing as a CB. He didn't support Oba or Marveaux even once
  • Williamson - Slow, made a few mistakes, punted a lot of useless long balls when there were easy passing options to be made

What pisses me off the most is why we continuously played lump ball, when we looked good when we kept the ball on the deck. There were countless times when a player (mostly Williamson and Perch) lumped a ball forward blindly when they had simple passing options.

I also hope we mix it up a bit and don't put out a second string team in all European games. We should look at playing Ben Arfa and Cisse/Ba. Let's be honest, if we were a little more clinical, we would have finished these lot off.

I though gosling put in a good shift. Did a lot of closing down, didnt do much wrong, which is an improvement on previous showings.

Edited by JoCo85

I though gosling put in a good shift. Did a lot of closing down, didnt do much wrong, which is an improvement on previous showings.

Yes, I think some of the criticism on this forum is harsh on Gosling. It was definitely the best I've seen him play.

Your standards are unrealistically high, sir.

And so they should be at my age Mr. Fish. Time is running out and nobody is perfect but being a seasoned owld Geordie with high expectations is close enough. :wink2: