Manchester United v Newcastle United

Christmas Tree

According to Pardews presser this morning Tiote will start and Coloccini "will get minutes".

"I am confident we will send a strong side there, we have to look to win this competition"

We've got to look to win it - start prioritising down the line

We are getting to the stage where the mentality in the group is that we could win this competition

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CabayeAye

We should play it down in the media and lull Fergie into playing a weak team, then *BAM!!* we play the A team and get a win.

----------------Elliot

Perch Williamson Saylor Santon

Ben Arfa Cabaye Anita Jonas

--------------Ba-Cisse

Honestly? I don't think we should risk any of our big players. I know this is a winnable competition, but when we're not playing well the last thing we need is a depressing loss to Man U's fringe players. We don't win at Old Trafford and can do without the extra football to be honest.

In all my time watching Newcastle, I can't think of a game where a defeat will feel less important than this one. If they scrapped the League Cup I wouldn't care less. 36 years since we played in a Semi Final let alone Final.

In all my time watching Newcastle, I can't think of a game where a defeat will feel less important than this one. If they scrapped the League Cup I wouldn't care less. 36 years since we played in a Semi Final let alone Final.

I agree, but what can be done to make it more important?

Clubs don't take it seriously, so tv doesn't, tv doesn't take it seriously so there's fuck all money in it, there's fuck all money in it so clubs don't take it seriously.

It would be a slightly underwhelming way to end our trophy drought.

At least the tedious cunts can stops banging on about how we've not won a pot in 60 years.

Guest CabayeAye

Chance of winning PL = zero

Chance of winning FA Cup = slim

Chance of winning EL = OK

Chance of winning LC = Ok

If we won the EL or LC, we'd be chuffed. People go on about 1969, but that was a tin pot too.

We're not going to win a big trophy, so why not take what is realistically one of our two genuine hopes of silverware seriously?

We need a trophy, this is our best bet of doing it unless we get a favourable draw in the FA cup like we did in the nineties. I'd play at least half the 1st choice eleven if at all possible and a win would also have the bonus of knocking out one of the teams who could win it.

I couldn't give a flying one about the prize money, competitions are entered to win and compete in thus enhancing your clubs reputation which an then bring extra revenue in. We need this trophy monkey off our back and I'd love to see Colo or any other NUFC player lifting a trophy up. When are we going to get our day in the sun?

We need a trophy, this is our best bet of doing it unless we get a favourable draw in the FA cup like we did in the nineties. I'd play at least half the 1st choice eleven if at all possible and a win would also have the bonus of knocking out one of the teams who could win it.

I couldn't give a flying one about the prize money, competitions are entered to win and compete in thus enhancing your clubs reputation which an then bring extra revenue in. We need this trophy monkey off our back and I'd love to see Colo or any other NUFC player lifting a trophy up. When are we going to get our day in the sun?

Yup, except play the strongest team we can.

Edited by Christmas Tree

We win a trophy, players think woohoo and may resist a move next season. Next season we've got a pot in the trophy cupboard and we go out wanting to the next trophy.

As a team we need that winning mentality, and getting the fizzy league trophy started it. League Cup would be a logical one to go for, and the FA CUP should be prioritised too. Would definitely love to see the team win either tbh!

agree about mixing up the first team 11. but i'd extend that to all the competitions. take a bit of a chance in the league by not playing every one of our first choice 11 so we don't have to put out a complete reserve team out in the cup competitions.

i think we all agree rotation is essential and that more first teamer will play in the fixtures the manager views as a priority. at the minute that's clearly the league over the cups. even if that's the case, why not rest cisse or ben arfa for a league match so they can play in one of the cups. spread the resources across all competitions we enter.

agree about mixing up the first team 11. but i'd extend that to all the competitions. take a bit of a chance in the league by not playing every one of our first choice 11 so we don't have to put out a complete reserve team out in the cup competitions.

i think we all agree rotation is essential and that more first teamer will play in the fixtures the manager views as a priority. at the minute that's clearly the league over the cups. even if that's the case, why not rest cisse or ben arfa for a league match so they can play in one of the cups. spread the resources across all competitions we enter.

If we rest ben arfa we're fucked tbh

I would like us to play our strongest possible team for this game. I would love to win the League cup.

Its ok people saying it doesn't matter - but it does - try getting hold of a ticket if we get to Wembley - demand would be massive.

Who cares whether we finish 6th or 12th in the premier league - who will remember that in 10 years time.

It used to be brilliant travelling away in the League and FA Cup, taking thousands of fans with us, more exciting than the league and sadly its starting to disappear

Silverware is what its about and and its about time we started taking the cups seriously

Let's put this all into perspective here.

Regardless of what we think is going on behind closed doors as in taking this or that competition lightly, will be so far from reality as you can get.

Whatever team Pardew picks, he will pick to give him a chance of progressing, no matter who we play.

We play Man Utd and no matter what team Man Utd put out, they are still Man Utd and are a feather in the cap of this club and whatever players are put up against them if we triumph.

Can anyone seriously picture Pardew saying, " right lads, this is the team I'm putting out against Man Utd because I don't wan't injuries, so you lot , just go out there and don't worry if you get your arses handed to you as it's not that important."

Imagine that eh?

That's like saying to the players, You are the shit end of the stick but it's a run out, so think yourself lucky.

I would imagine Pardew saying, " ok lads, this is the team, now go out there and prove to me that the first team is where you want to be...go and stake your claim and do the club proud."

A cup is a cup and it breeds confidence throughout the club and turns boys into men. We aren't playing Man Utd just to make up the numbers, you can bank on that.

Edited by wolfy

If we rest ben arfa we're fucked tbh

We should manage to win the odd home game without him, enabling him (or others) to play an occasional cup game.

Rotation for me isn't a out putting your first team out for the league and the reserves out for the cup. It should be about trying to win every game in every competition you enter while making sure key players get a rest every now and then. Our policy seems to be put everything into the league and hope we scrape through the early rounds of the cups with the second string. Not the right policy for a team that's gone so long without a trophy.

I would like us to play our strongest possible team for this game. I would love to win the League cup.

Its ok people saying it doesn't matter - but it does - try getting hold of a ticket if we get to Wembley - demand would be massive.

Who cares whether we finish 6th or 12th in the premier league - who will remember that in 10 years time.

It used to be brilliant travelling away in the League and FA Cup, taking thousands of fans with us, more exciting than the league and sadly its starting to disappear

Silverware is what its about and and its about time we started taking the cups seriously

A fully signed up member to this school of thought.

Chance of winning PL = zero

Chance of winning FA Cup = slim

Chance of winning EL = OK

Chance of winning LC = Ok

If we won the EL or LC, we'd be chuffed. People go on about 1969, but that was a tin pot too.

We're not going to win a big trophy, so why not take what is realistically one of our two genuine hopes of silverware seriously?

We've got more chance of winning the FA Cup that any of the rest. We're cursed in the League Cup so forget about that, we can't win the Premiership because Ashley is the only billionaire in football who won't spend his money, and the Europa League has Tottenham, Atletico Madrid, Anzhi, Inter Milan, Napoli, Lyon, OM (imagine if Barton came here with them), and PSV, all of whom are better than us, plus we're playing our reserves and there'll be other good sides dropping out the Champions League.

I'd go:

Harper

Perch Williamson Colo Santon

Amalfitano Anita Tiote Marveaux

Shola Cisse

Give Anita a run out in the middle of the park and let him be the one with the more attacking mindset of the 2 CM's instead of restricting him to being defensive, as he hasn't really got a foothold in the games he's played being the defensive midfielder.

I'd fucking love it if we won the league cup tbh.

I agree, but what can be done to make it more important?

Clubs don't take it seriously, so tv doesn't, tv doesn't take it seriously so there's fuck all money in it, there's fuck all money in it so clubs don't take it seriously.

This is obviously a naive comment to make as there would require a huge reshuffling of how qualification is achieved but the only way I can see in which the league cup gets the starting 11 playing rather than subs and reserves of the 'big teams' of the PL is if the winner got a slot in the Champions League qualifying round.