Newcastle United v Bordeaux

Christmas Tree

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone, I joined this forum because I am an editor for a french website speaking about Girondins de Bordeaux : Webgirondins. (http://www.webgirondins.com/)

We have a section whose principle is to give voice to our future opponents.

So I have some questions to ask you before the game, and I thank all those who take the time to answer me.

1- What was your reaction to the Europa League draw?

2- What do you know about the Bordeaux team? And the club?

3- Are you interested in the French League 1 in England? What is your opinion about our league?

4- Is this competition important to you as supporters? And for the club leads?

5- What are the strengths of your team? How is your start to the season?

6- What is your opinion on Gabriel Obertan, who has played in Bordeaux?

7- And finally: a small prognosis for the game?

Your answers will be compiled for an article on our site. And I will give you the link as soon it will be published.

I hope I have posted my message in the good section.

hi, welcome to the forum

1 - What was your reaction to the Europa League draw?

The group doesn't seem that tough. I excpect us to progress, if we play a stronger team than we have so far. but the competition itself doesn't get interesting until the knock out stages. I'd like to see it revert to that format. poor man's champion's league in its current state.

Not much. Like the wine though

3- Are you interested in the French League 1 in England? What is your opinion about our league?

I'm interested but it doesn't get a lot of coverage over here so I'm pretty ignorant of the players outside of the French national side.

The competition is important to me. All competitions are given we've never won a major trophy in my lifetime. I'd like us to take it more serioulsy than the management seem to be doing. So far we have played our reserve team, saving our first team players for the league,

Start of the season is pretty good considering the fixtured. We've had tough games at home to Spurs and away to Chelsea and Everton. PLayers to look out for: Colocini, our ball playing centre half and captain. Tiote can dominate the best midfields. Our creative genius is Ben Arfa, I'm sure you know a lot about him already. Cisse and Ba are both dangerous forwards when in form. Whether you see many of these players is another question.

Infuriating so far. Seems to be blessed with pace and a good touch yet runs around like a headless chicken, gives the ball away way too easily and generally crosses the ball quite poorly.

I can see a score draw or a home win if we start more of our first choice players.

Edited by Dr Gloom

1. Very pleased, mainly due to the proximity of travel for our fans. If we take the group seriously we should have enough to qualify whilst some of the younger lads can pick up some valuable experience.

2. Not so much in recent years but as a child I remember watching that team with Zidane and Dugarry beat AC Milan in the old Uefa Cup.

3. Thankfully ESPN have gained the rights to Ligue 1 again so I'm trying to watch as much of it as a I can as it's always been a league with a lot of talent. Of course it's now gaining a lot more coverage worldwide due to PSG's astronomical spending. Plus we have been trying to buy Debuchy from Lille so I am always interested in seeing how he is doing.

4. For us fans I'd say it's very important, as if you qualify from the group stages any thing is possible and we are desperate for a trophy. Unfortunately the club hierarchy aren't taking it as seriously as us fans which has been shown by the team selection so far.

5. The strength of our team is that we have some excellent individuals such as Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Cisse, Ba, Tiote, Krul, Coloccini etc and as we haven't started the season particularly well playing wise we're often reliant on a moment of magic (usually from Ben Arfa) to gain us points.

6. A poor player who seems to have wonderful physical attributes but he seems to be so short of confidence and belief in himself that he will never make the most out of what attributes he does have.

7. As I don't really know too much about Bordeaux Gouffran and Bellion I wouldn't really be able to give you an accurate prediction but I'll predict a tight affair as that's what most of our games have been like so far this season.

Is this MrFish and his new alter Ego? Or CT in disguise?

Anyways,

I was happy, We avoided dodgy countries like Israel which have been banana skins for English clubs in the passed and there isnt much travelling for the fans and players. It was a group that if we played tight away and got 3 points at home we could win.

Nothing, I do remember, like Tooj when they played AC though.

I wouldnt mind seeing more, but I am not going to go out of my way to watch it. When Marsaille (Well, Drogba) knocked us out of the UEFA a few years back it seemed a decent league. From what I know now its not that great, albeit on the rise.

For me I'd say it's very important. However, we havent got a strong enough squad for it so we will play the fringe players. We needed at least 3 more players before the window shut to have a realistic chance of batteling on all fronts, but that never happend. Its a shame.

.5- What are the strengths of your team? How is your start to the season?

Strength of the team, thats a difficult question. We have a great team spirit and we have a few great players and the rest are decent players. We have had an indifferent start to the season. Injuries, internationals, EL Qualis have meant we havnt had a run of a team where we havent had to chop and change and this is a little worrying for me.

Since his arrival from Man Utd he has been very frsutrating. He is fast and strong, but cannot seem to finish off a cross or a pass or a shot.

I think we will play a cautious game. Although we have seemed to play more fringe players for the other ganes I think we will have more first teamers in for you guys. I think we should try and hit you with pace, however I think we will sit back and try and hit you on the break.

Definitely think it's a group we can get out of, us and yourselves definitely by the far the best teams in the group.

Not a great deal aside from Saivet was awesome on Football Manager a few years ago.

No way of seeing it unfortunately. I caught the odd game when Lyon dominated for a few seasons but it seems the standard is definitely improving since then.

Yes - it's been so long since we've seen European football that us out of town (OOT) fans are able to see the team on normal telly again! I'd just like a good cup run and maybe reach the last 16.

On our day we can beat anyone, and we've got some of the best attacking players we've had in a very long time. The start to the season has been fine, just nowhere near as good as last season.

He's very fast, but that's about it. And he looks like Squidward.

2-0 win for NUFC. Away at your place will be difficult but at SJP with the crowd behind the team we'll put in a good performance.

Hello everyone, I joined this forum because I am an editor for a french website speaking about Girondins de Bordeaux : Webgirondins. (http://www.webgirondins.com/)

So I have some questions to ask you before the game, and I thank all those who take the time to answer me.

Happy, missed some of the real hard teams while getting two good traditional clubs that'll be good away days for those that I (yourselves and Brugge).

Saivet was a Football Manager legend, Obraniak looked decent in the Euros and I think you have Planus? Know you won the League a few years back too!

I've watched a few games nd tend to watch a highlights package on ESPN. Mostly I'm underwhelmed with the support. You're a big country and a lot of teams get such poor attendances. I don't think the money of PSG will be good as the best thing about French football the past few years has been the amount of different winners after Lyons dominance. However it could spark interest along the league!

It changes for each supporter. I personally would love to win it. We have a trophy drought and when you look at previous winners you see it's a prestigious competition and its our best chances of European glory! Some would rather concentrate on the league so we can... Qualify for the Europa League.

Going forward we have Ba, Cisse and Ben Arfa, with Cabaye playing balls to them. They probably will be rested for the game but when any of them are on form they change the game. Start to the season has been shaky, but we're in an okay position and have had injury problems.

Fast but nothing else.

Close game, hope for a win but will probably end up a draw, 1-1

Your answers will be compiled for an article on our site. And I will give you the link as soon it will be published.

Fairly happy as we missed the bigger clubs.

Very little.

I rarely watch French football.

All competitions are important to me.

Our main strengths are Coloccini and Taylor at the back, plus Tiote and Cabaye in centre mid, then our amazing French wonder in Ben Arfa's sublime skills, plus Demba Ba and an in form Cisse.

Speed machine who has talent yet is struggling with the intelligence on field to make it count. If he could produce a cross or the right ball at the end of his runs, we could destroy some teams.

7- And finally: a small prognosis for the game?I can't really comment as I know next to nothing of your team but I'll go with a hard fought win , for Newcastle, naturally.

Merde, *mon ami.

*Many thanks to the 'Commando' books for giving me the opportunity to use that phrase. :good:

Edited by Howmanheyman

So Bordeaux won tonight in Lyon two nowt, good win that.

team is here:

http://asia.eurospor...eamcenter.shtml

and this is the team that twatted Brugge last time out in Europe:

http://www.uefa.com/...tch club brugge

not a lot of what you might call "rotation" going on by the looks of it.....this will be tough if we put a team out with Sunday at OT in mind...

Edited by PaddockLad

Bon voyage.

My first reaction was we will piss it, but because we play largely a reserve team I think we'll come second in the group. No disrespect to any of the teams, but our first eleven would be good enough to win it. We played Maritimo they are as I thought quite a poor team, Birmingham City beat Club Bruges last season, so Bordeaux are the only side capable of beating even our reserve team, and I think there's every chance you will.

I know quite a bit. I know you won the French title a few seasons ago. I also used to own a Bordeaux top about 20 years ago. I went to La Rochelle with the school, and you could buy, GB tops, Nantes, OM and PSG, so I bought a Bordeaux one. I also remember Clive Allen playing for Bordeaux when he left Tottenham, and if I remember rightly he was a major success there, but didn't stay long. Of your current team I only know Plasil and Bellion. Plasil through watching Czech Rep, he's good, quite quick but he needs a haircut, and David Bellion one of the worst ever players to play for our rivals Sunderland. Probably the worst signing Manchester United have ever made.

I think the french league is OK, too many draws though, and other than OM there's not much passion in the stadiums, and the passion that is there is very much choreographed. I've seen a bit of PSG this season, and they're a million miles away from winning the Champions League. People in England will take more notice of La Ligue, because of Joey Barton's presence this season. I notice Lille built a new stadium for 50000 people, they seem to be filling it which is a surprise because 10 years ago they were getting 8000 in that old ground.

It'll be important if we win it haha. I honestly believe we are very capable of winning this competition with our best players. Last season we beat teams who will be competing in the last 8 of the Champions League, like Chelsea and Man Utd with ease, so IF we play our best team we can actually win it, but we're in absolutely shite form, even though we have lost only one. I'd rank it third in our priorities after the Premier League and the FA Cup.

Ben Arfa is our best player, he's playing the best football of his career, he loves it here and is our little Messi. He is a strength, our main strength is we are very very hard to beat, we play a very rigid formation and when everyone is fit we have a genuinely good player in every position.

He's totally shite. Le Forrest Gump oui?

If we play Ben Arfa, Ba and Cisse we'll win 2-1. If not I think it'll likely be a draw 1-1 maybe.

Guest CabayeAye

We'll be fine as long as Obertan and Gosling don 't play. I'd like to see:

----------------------Elliot

Tavernier Williamson Saylor Perch

--Amalfitano Bigirimana Ferguson

--------Vuckic Shola Sammy

Then against ManU:

-----------Harper

Anita Saylor Colo Santon

----Cabaye Tiote Jonas

------HBA Cisse Ba

How do you say big broken nosed skinny cunts in french? I feel like signing up to their forum. Cheek of it. Aye we drink beer, but we're taller than the french and we don't go waving white flags every time someone tries to invade us.

Gerard-Depardieu75106.jpg

"ohhhh au jord hui"

One lad says we beat Man U at the weekend, when its pointed out he confused us with Spurs he says something about 'smoking in the tropics' which is likely a reference to weed smoking. The lad then replies (i think), 'meal washed down with rum and cheap plonk and just like that, you're talking shit - these English all look the same to me.'

I think there was a very mild racist element but only playing on the 'they all look the same to me' idea. Not sure they are calling us fat cunts.

FYI - According to the Sunday Times yesterday, we've got bigger cocks than them so if you do sign up, make that your sig.

One lad says we beat Man U at the weekend, when its pointed out he confused us with Spurs he says something about 'smoking in the tropics' which is likely a reference to weed smoking. The lad then replies (i think), 'meal washed down with rum and cheap plonk and just like that, you're talking shit - these English all look the same to me.'

I think there was a very mild racist element but only playing on the 'they all look the same to me' idea. Not sure they are calling us fat cunts.

FYI - According to the Sunday Times yesterday, we've got bigger cocks than them so if you do sign up, make that your sig.

:lol:

I must have some french blood somewhere along the line then.

Pretty pleased with it, short journeys to countries with decent leagues/facilities and a group we should get through fairly well (along with yourselves)

Not a great deal, I liked the side a few years ago with DIarra, Gourcuff and Chamakh in but I can't say much more recently.

I don't think england as a whole is but I do try and keep an eye on the bigger european leagues anyway, I think as PSG get bigger with their new money and start to be prominent in the Champions League interest may grow.

I don't think it is so much for the people at the top of the club but for me personally its huge, our first time back in europe for years and I love seeing it.

Last season we played much better overall, its hard to say how we'll be in the group as we've been playing the kids/reserves so far.

We've started with some key injuries and without playing especially well but we're still picking up points thankfully

Made a mistake moving to man u, he has stagnated there rather than playing week in week out in a poorer side to develop

he has pace but doesnt know how to use the ball

hopefully we'll win but if we play the reserves and you play the squad you have been I expect we will lose.