Newcastle United v Bordeaux

Christmas Tree

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Gosling is hopeless. Has Sammy annoyed Pardew or something?

Like I said, straight swap for Tiote which makes sense. We don't need 3 up front now. Would have been nice for Sammy to get some minutes though. We're not going to lose the match but Pardew will want to protect that GD.

To be fair hasn't he been injured for a while and wasn't he complaining about pulling a groin in training on Twitter the other day?

Good professional performance, expected Bordeaux to be better than that tbh. Ferguson with another good ball for the 3rd but he got beat a few too many times at the back, think midfield suits him better even though he gets more space to put a ball in when he plays defence.

I like how Felliani was supposedly onside due to about half the length of Taylors trailing foot but when Cisse is played on by an opponents whole leg he's miles off.

I really want to like Waddler because he was a hero of mine as a player for us but fuck me he's full of shit. As is the rest of the channel.

Overall I'd much rather see teams of this mix/strength played that the previous games.

We do seem to play better with our second string. Maybe we need to start rotating them into PL games.

Yeah, because Man Utd Chelsea Man City etc are just as good as Bordeaux :idiot:

Pardew got it about spot on tonight...Not because we were fantastic or anything...It was because we put in a professional performance , especially second half , as in, having them chasing shadows.

Every player put a shift in, so hats off to them all.

One thing for certain...it shows just how much players like Cabaye and Tiote can dictate a game and make the rest of the player, play at ease.

Just got back and really enjoyed the game tonight. European nights are a nice change as you tend to get a younger rowdier crowd and there is something nice about not playing teams that you have a history with as you do in the prem.

There fans were canny and had a good sing song all night.

Total breath of fresh air on the left with Obertan putting in possible his best performance to date, especially with chasing players down and tackling back. Ferguson still doesnt seem like a left back to me, but what he lacks defensively he sure makes up for offensively. Putting to one side another great cross and third assist in a row, some of the balls he played down the wing for Obertan and co were sublime. Pace and everything else perfect. Again showed how calm he is on the ball and interchanged very well with Tiote and Cabaye.

The two of them in the middle looked a world better having a genuine outlet on the left and this was highlighted by Cabayes beautiful cross field ball for Obertan to set the first goal up. Unfortunately Jonas would never have been that far forward to give Cabaye the option.

So for me, the left wing was creative and made central midfield a much easier place to play. Tiote in particular spraying balls about and most of the time retaining possession.

I came away again thinking Anita looks shocking and maybe he is going to be one for the future. Fergusons ease with the ball just rubber stamped how poor Danny Simpson is with the ball coming out.

I just hope that Pardew now makes the right call and doesnt undo all this good work on Sunday. Much easier to control the game than chase it. Think Obertan has probably earned a start and I would go and Ferguson will be back to the bench, however maybe we should consider Santon over to the right.

Overall a throroughly enjoyable night and a canny crowd of over 30,000

Should also add this.

I sat at the Laezes end of the Platinum club with my 8 year old and my oldest daughter sat with her boyfriend at the Gallowgate end of the platinum club.

My 8 year old found the fan on the pitch very funny and couldnt stop laughing (couldnt see any nudity from where we were).

Anyway, at half time we met my older daughter and the young un was giggling away and kept saying "Cisse was so funny".

On further discussion it emerged that she thought the fan on the pitch was in fact Cisse celebrating the goal :lol: :lol:

Anyone else able to add some further comments on how everyone played? How was Simpson on his return from injury? Defensively it doesn't sound like we were given much of a test?

Was Cabaye getting back to his best?